• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Clemson vs. Wake Game Thread - 7:49 on ABC

Another time where you could see how Clemson influences officials was early in the game when a WF receiver clearly dropped a pass right in front of the Clemson bench. Immediately, the Clemson coaching staffed pounced yelling fumble, and of course, the sideline official reflexively drops his bean bag, calls a fumble and gives the Tigers possession. While reply overturned the obvious missed call, that play showed how the ACC officials simply assume that all close calls must go the Tigers way.

Yep. It's like when my dad and I went to a Wake game in Cameron years back. We sat on our hands for most of the game and took the ref abuse, but when Broderick Hicks got completely decked into the scorer's table with no foul call, we both lost it. The Duke fan beside us just looks at us and says "the better teams are supposed to get the calls, that's how it works" with a straight face. That's Clemson football these days.

Yep. It's like when my dad and I went to a Wake game in Cameron years back. We sat on our hands for most of the game and took the ref abuse, but when Broderick Hicks got completely decked into the scorer's table with no foul call, we both lost it. The Duke fan beside us just looks at us and says "the better teams are supposed to get the calls, that's how it works" with a straight face. That's Clemson football these days.

That is such bullshit. No, it is supposed to be completely impartial. A foul is a foul, pass interference is pass interference and holding is holding. Shouldn't have anything to do with who the teams are. There is an old saying in boxing that the challenger has to do a lot more than the champion to win a decision, so the challenger better be looking of for the knockout. Shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately it is.

Clawson and staff has shown a pretty good ability to recruit skill players on offense. Walker definitely struggles in pass protection.

Our secondary...oh man. Not only were they bad, most of the time they weren’t even on the screen when a receiver caught the ball.

We were playing zone. Can't say I've seen Clawson ever do that and hope I don't see it again.

I know LSU isn't exactly a "have not", but part of the reason I enjoyed their run to the title last year was because they just straight up beat down a number of the perennial top programs (@ Bama, vs. Oklahoma, vs. Clemson). Not to mention big names like Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Texas. That is not easy to do.

No doubt who the best team was last season.

I know LSU isn't exactly a "have not", but part of the reason I enjoyed their run to the title last year was because they just straight up beat down a number of the perennial top programs (@ Bama, vs. Oklahoma, vs. Clemson). Not to mention big names like Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Texas. That is not easy to do.

No doubt who the best team was last season.

All that was holding LSU back was the hat and his disregard for putting a modern offense on the field. I was listening to some guys on ESPN-U radio Sunday and they were talking about how bad the Les Miles hire was for Kansas. They were like ," why would you be stupid enough to hire a guy that is known for putting the most vanilla conservative offense on the field, in a league where if you can't score 40 a game, you have no chance."

Another time where you could see how Clemson influences officials was early in the game when a WF receiver clearly dropped a pass right in front of the Clemson bench. Immediately, the Clemson coaching staffed pounced yelling fumble, and of course, the sideline official reflexively drops his bean bag, calls a fumble and gives the Tigers possession. While reply overturned the obvious missed call, that play showed how the ACC officials simply assume that all close calls must go the Tigers way.
Not about Clemson (but agree 100%) - another example of the referees being influenced = Satterfield in the refs ear after the onside kick recovery by Wake. He basically got that call changed. I think Wake needs to up its game when talking to refs. I know Clawson barks at them - I love that - but the rest of the staff needs to be poised to do this. It clearly affects the outcomes of games.

That dog stuff. Ugh. Sorry, man. We've got an 11-12 year old rescue going through some stuff and it definitely is tough.

Good to read you thought Smart played well. We honestly had no idea who he was when he first came into the game. Looks smaller than his 6'4", 270 lb listing (almost assuredly is smaller). We were joking/wondering why we put in a backup MLB on the DL on the goal line vs Clemson.

So sorry to hear about the passing of your dog. My condolences. Particularly in the current circumstances, a dog can be a necessary companion.

Good film review.

How many potential PI or defensive holding on receivers went uncalled? It seemed like a lot. Announcers were all over two, showing multiple replays. Hand inside shoulder pad of receiver would warrant a call.

Did you see the fingers go inside Hartman's helmet the time it came off?

Thank you both, I really appreciate it. It was cathartic to write about King in that way, and I'm happy to hear from people either going through or who have gone through something similar lately.

On Will Smart: I don't say this often, but I really loved his tape when he signed two years ago. Just has an incredible motor and yes, stronger than he appeared. He's dealt with wrist injuries for seemingly two straight seasons -- I think he can help them make the DT rotation even deeper, or perhaps enable Bothroyd and Tyler Williams to take some snaps at DE.

On PIs: I mean ... one of the announcers, think it was McDonough, said it during the game: Clemson is going to press you on the outside and be physical and dare you to throw flags. It's as much of a feature in Venables' defense as A-gap pressure. Honestly, if there's a crowd, Wake probably gets 1 or 2 more PI calls. That's what history of homefield advantage teaches us. Otherwise, you've either got to beat it at the line and run by them, as A.T. did on the drop, or you've gotta out-muscle them for the ball, as Donavon did on the jump ball. The flip side of it is Wake theoretically would've been able to be just as physical with their receivers -- but despite the addition of Paul Williams, they never played press coverage, and the communications breakdowns usually meant Clemson receivers didn't have anybody to be physical with them.

Hartman's helmet: Not sure if you mean the first play, when Kern comes in for one throw, or Hartman's last play; either way, I didn't notice fingers in his helmet. If it's on tape, though, I'm sure Clawson sent the play to the ACC for review.

I wonder if our coverage was dictated by personnel. Maybe they didn't feel like anyone outside of Taylor had the ability to cover Clemson 1v1.

We might see a different scheme next week vs State.

Agree that we will see different coverages against State because, among other reasons, the Pack QB is Devin Leary who was either the worst of the 2nd worst QB in the conference last year. Even assuming Leary has improved, hard to imagine bigger drop in danger at the QB position from Trevor Lawrence to Devin Leary. In addition, to lacking the arm, vision and weapons that Lawrence poses; Leary is not a threat to run, which makes it a lot easier on defenses.

Agree that we will see different coverages against State because, among other reasons, the Pack QB is Devin Leary who was either the worst of the 2nd worst QB in the conference last year. Even assuming Leary has improved, hard to imagine bigger drop in danger at the QB position from Trevor Lawrence to Devin Leary. In addition, to lacking the arm, vision and weapons that Lawrence poses; Leary is not a threat to run, which makes it a lot easier on defenses.

Wake struggles with QBs that run. I imagine that would be magnified if three DBs were chasing a receiver 20 yards down the field with their backs to the LOS.

Sorry to hear about King... we lost our German, Duncan, this year to cancer. Thanks for doing what you do as I'm sure we ALL appreciate reading about the Deacs.

Lawrence - 6'6" 225

Back-up - 6'5" 245

3rd QB - 6'2" 220

Lawrence - 6'6" 225

Back-up - 6'5" 245

3rd QB - 6'2" 220

People that say we're better off with Sam over Jamie, that's why we're not. I love Sam and I think given ample opportunity (not running for his life) can do great things for us. However, there's a reason why teams like Clemson don't recruit the best 6 foot, 200lb QB's, they recruit the best 6'3"+, 220lb+ QB's. That's what Jamie gave us, what we haven't had before and that's where we miss him, especially behind an unproven O-line.

That said, I do think we've got a good group of QB's even if they're on the small side.

Lawrence - 6'6" 225

Back-up - 6'5" 245

3rd QB - 6'2" 220

At that rate of getting smaller, Clemson could have a QB about the size of Dortch in less than a decade.

Or Not.

Back