• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Duke's Mayo Bowl vs. Wisconsin Thread

I'll repeat my question. Is your QB, Kern, related to Rex Kern who was the QB of the undefeated 1968 Ohio State team. Might be his grandson or nephew.

Sam had a rough day but he’s generally done a good job of taking care of the ball. He’s still miles ahead of any QB on the roster and I’m sure he will be our starter next year.

But 4 straight picks. All the work and effort it took to just get to this game and this loss just about squarely falls on him.

It's coaching when you refuse to recognize that your QB is struggling and won't make a change

I guess you can make an argument for pulling Sam out after the 3rd pick, but still pulling him in favor of a guy that's thrown all of 16 passes all year? I don't know.

Sam had a rough day but he’s generally done a good job of taking care of the ball. He’s still miles ahead of any QB on the roster and I’m sure he will be our starter next year.

But 4 straight picks. All the work and effort it took to just get to this game and this loss just about squarely falls on him.

How he responds will be telling.

Because we run the same fucking play every time. Everyone has figured out that we run RPO and Hartman can’t run. So they squat on the cross and hit the running back.

Clawsen is boring as fuck and has to make some changes

Yep this offense is vanilla as hell without a running threat like Newman. It worked with Wofford for a half a season because it was still relatively new but now that everyone has played it and must teams run some variation of it at times, it doesn’t fool anyone.

I thought Griffis looked great. Now I know why we brought in two quarterbacks this year. No way Kern will stick around.

Yep this offense is vanilla as hell without a running threat like Newman. It worked with Wofford for a half a season because it was still relatively new but now that everyone has played it and must teams run some variation of it at times, it doesn’t fool anyone.

I think that is the problem, we need a big physical QBs that can run like Newman to run this offense as it needs to be run, but we don't seem to get big, physical QB's that can run very often.

I think both of our quarterbacks in the 2021 class are dual threat.

This. He had an incredibly shitty day when the defense played well enough to keep us in the game but would be shocked if he's pushed in the spring or fall camp.

Part of me has always thought Hartman could lead a great offense and the other part of me knows he's capable of doing what he did today. It's not like these were great defensive plays...Hartman just made awful throw after awful throw.

Oh well...Happy NY to everyone...Hopefully 2021 brings us better things across the board.

even after seeing kern and griffis out there?

Both of them looked like what they are right now: second and third string.

RPO is only effective if you have a QB who is a threat to run, and run well. Jamie was that guy. Sam is not much of a runner.

Our offense is fine. Our coaching is fine. We had a quarterback who got up on the wrong side of the bed today. He just picked a bad day to have a nightmarish game.

What more could have Griffis done? He was out there a minute and a half and led us to a touchdown. Geez.

Back