• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

He is a very persuasive speaker. He makes you feel as if he is speaking to your soul, and he understands where you are. Bill Clinton had that ability, to a degree. Trump's voice is much more soothing than Clinton's raspy one.

He has a really good sense of how to phrase the words. Just like Sinatra with song lyrics, Trump is a master of oral speaking techniques. These are the same techniques commonly used by the best preachers, televangelists,....and snake oil salesmen and charlatans.

Listen to a vintage Billy Graham or other charismatic speaker. Not for the words, but for the cadence, tonality, phrasing, pitch changes etc. Not the words. Then listen to Trump (again, not the words) and see how similar they sound in oral speaking techniques.

Thousands of preachers use the same oratory techniques. If you were raised on that style bringing the word of God, it becomes a lot easier to accept anything delivered in that style as "truth" and not think critically about it.

I first read this and thought, "you can't be serious." But, the more I think about it, maybe you're right. I don't actually watch him speak much (just can't stomach it), but this might explain why the transcripts of his speeches are absolutely ridiculous, but yet he is so persuasive to many. Interesting.

Have you been living under a rock the last 5 years? Police are genuinely scared to open fire for fear of losing their jobs or getting indicted.

This is probably going to be the funniest post of 2021, didn't even take a full week to get there.

I first read this and thought, "you can't be serious." But, the more I think about it, maybe you're right. I don't actually watch him speak much (just can't stomach it), but this might explain why the transcripts of his speeches are absolutely ridiculous, but yet he is so persuasive to many. Interesting.

Yeah, he is obviously persuasive, but I think it is less around how he speaks and more what he says -- he just throws racist, fake tough, fake God, guns, BS at the uneducated, racist masses and they eat it up. I don't get preacher at all when I hear his voice. It's just sundowning stream of consciousness garbage.

Yeah, he is obviously persuasive, but I think it is less around how he speaks and more what he says -- he just throws racist, fake tough, fake God, guns, BS at the uneducated, racist masses and they eat it up. I don't get preacher at all when I hear his voice. It's just sundowning stream of consciousness garbage.

These masses have been worn down by 40 years of racist, fake tough, fake God, guns BS from friends, media, churches, etc. They were ripe for someone who is really good at it.

Are YOU fucking serious??

Yes. His oratorical skills are excellent. They can convince you to believe nonsense is sensible, as long as you don't have critical thinking skills or don't analyze too deeply.

Trump is not a good speaker. He can't even complete a sentence before moving to his next point. Have you ever read transcripts of his speeches/interviews? Just because he's loud and emphasizes certain words for applause/laughs doesn't make him some master orator.

These people are so so so fucking stupid. Just a little rioting, insurrection, and other criminal behavior while wearing.... that's right my company ID badge.

He reminds me of Bruno from Swamp Thing.

Swamp+Thing+-+Bruno.jpg

Trump is a terrible speaker, but he can create a 10 second sound bite using his fake tough guy routine, which the rubes love.

Trump is also really good at saying things without saying them

threads that needle about as good as anyone

Trump is also really good at saying things without saying them

threads that needle about as good as anyone

He doesn't say them, people say them. He doesn't know if they are true or not, but he heard someone say that people say things.

He doesn't say them, people say them. He doesn't know if they are true or not, but he heard someone say that people say things.

a pretty effective rhetorical device that he did not invent, but that he's perfected

Yeah I agree with Ph.

1. For years they have been groomed by rhetoric that was used to keep their vote while distracting them from looking around and seeing how shitty their life has become
2. Trump operates in a complete grift ecosystem. It would be one thing if only Trump was messaging but its Trump at the top of the pyramid scheme and all these other smaller grifters reinforcing the message trying to get a little piece themselves. This allows the message to just get repeated over and over again.
3. The actual message is almost a chose your own adventure. Do you want to be rich, look this guy is an asshole and says whatever he wants that could be me. You want to be racist this guy says racist shit and I can to. You don't know what you want, well the complete abstract slogan is make America great again, think of a time that was great that will happen again.
4. Social media and sport, your life sucks, you have nothing else but you have this "movement", it gives you some purpose to share something with others so you latch on even harder and go deeper. Its human nature to want to belong to things, like even when disaster strikes you want a personal anecdote like where were you on 9/11 and how you were in immediate danger in the sticks of NC.
5. Once you are swallowed up there is no escaping because everything is targeted to you now, news, media, advertisements, social media, search results, your friends, its why it ends up being described as a cult.

Pelosi announces that she will move for Impeachment if the 25th isn't invoked. Wonder if McConnell is on board. His wife just resigned as Secretary of Transportation.

Pelosi announces that she will move for Impeachment if the 25th isn't invoked. Wonder if McConnell is on board. His wife just resigned as Secretary of Transportation.

A courageous move if there ever was one, wouldn't want to get stuck with having to vote out the President as a member of the Cabinet

Pure bloviation. There's not enough time to implement the 25th Amendment to remove him. The House is out until 1/11 and the Senate 1/19. They don't have the time, even if they come back to session. Remember, Moscow Mitch is still in charge until the Georgians are seated and Harris is VP.

Back