• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

Have you been living under a rock the last 5 years? Police are genuinely scared to open fire for fear of losing their jobs or getting indicted.

No points for Chao after standing with Trump after Charlottesville.

Oh yeah I'm not praising Chao, she is an enabling coward like the rest of them, I was simply saying that the family break from Trump may be complete. If the House and Senate were to come back into session and McConnell is on board, then they could possibly get the 2/3 votes need to convict in the Senate.

No points for Chao after standing with Trump after Charlottesville.

She had to stand with Trump or her family wouldn't have been to make millions and millions of dollars over the past four years.

These masses have been worn down by 40 years of racist, fake tough, fake God, guns BS from friends, media, churches, etc. They were ripe for someone who is really good at it.

The Trump supporters are also avid consumers of right wing (radical right) talk radio. Those guys constantly reinforce the messages Trump is sending.

Trump is not a good speaker. He can't even complete a sentence before moving to his next point. Have you ever read transcripts of his speeches/interviews? Just because he's loud and emphasizes certain words for applause/laughs doesn't make him some master orator.

Reading transcripts is a terrible way to understand oratory. Sometimes leaving a point unfinished, letting the listener finish the thought as he wishes is a powerful oratorical device that looks terrible in print.

Try this song lyric:
"She's a brick house."
"She's a brick (pause) house."
If you simply read the first, as text, it makes little sense. If you hear it sung, as it was done by the Commodores, it conveys a very different meaning.

Oh yeah I'm not praising Chao, she is an enabling coward like the rest of them, I was simply saying that the family break from Trump may be complete. If the House and Senate were to come back into session and McConnell is on board, then they could possibly get the 2/3 votes need to convict in the Senate.

She only resigned to avoid being put in the position to vote for 25th. Kind of like Mitch pocketing popular bills so they don’t need to make an unpopular vote against them.

Reading transcripts is a terrible way to understand oratory. Sometimes leaving a point unfinished, letting the listener finish the thought as he wishes is a powerful oratorical device that looks terrible in print.

Try this song lyric:
"She's a brick house."
"She's a brick (pause) house."
If you simply read the first, as text, it makes little sense. If you hear it sung, as it was done by the Commodores, it conveys a very different meaning.

and sometimes saying a bunch of racist and sexist shit that the listener wishes they could say is another powerful oratorical device !

She only resigned to avoid being put in the position to vote for 25th. Kind of like Mitch pocketing popular bills so they don’t need to make an unpopular vote against them.

Meh, I don't see Trump getting 25th amendmented this late in the game. I just think Pence and the cabinet secretaries will muddle through the next 2 weeks. So I don't think that has anything to do with her leaving. It's just a convenient time for a handful of them to appear to be taking a moral stand to relieve themselves from some of the Trump stench.

Seems the prevailing thoughts from the crazy train is that there were lots of Antifa in the mob and deep state was in on it to make Trump look bad that's why unarmed protestors were allowed to storm into the capitol without being taken out by lethal force.

Official Election Month Thread: The Coup is On.

and sometimes saying a bunch of racist and sexist shit that the listener wishes they could say is another powerful oratorical device !

As if just any racist dipshit could have a hit tv show and be elected POTUS with literally no previous political experience? It serves no purpose to under-rate Trumps unique characteristics that make him so popular.

Imagine being someone who voted for that shitbird waiting for that pivot.

The vast majority that voted for him did not want him to pivot. We all knew exactly who he is and would be. That's why people voted for or against him.

Also can we stop saying that there will be a "peaceful transition of power". We had an attack on the US Capitol that resulted in 4 deaths. That's not peaceful. That ship has sailed. One more norm sacrificed on the altar of a narcissist gameshow host. Yay, America !

I've had the same thought.

Yeah I agree with Ph.

1. For years they have been groomed by rhetoric that was used to keep their vote while distracting them from looking around and seeing how shitty their life has become
2. Trump operates in a complete grift ecosystem. It would be one thing if only Trump was messaging but its Trump at the top of the pyramid scheme and all these other smaller grifters reinforcing the message trying to get a little piece themselves. This allows the message to just get repeated over and over again.
3. The actual message is almost a chose your own adventure. Do you want to be rich, look this guy is an asshole and says whatever he wants that could be me. You want to be racist this guy says racist shit and I can to. You don't know what you want, well the complete abstract slogan is make America great again, think of a time that was great that will happen again.
4. Social media and sport, your life sucks, you have nothing else but you have this "movement", it gives you some purpose to share something with others so you latch on even harder and go deeper. Its human nature to want to belong to things, like even when disaster strikes you want a personal anecdote like where were you on 9/11 and how you were in immediate danger in the sticks of NC.
5. Once you are swallowed up there is no escaping because everything is targeted to you now, news, media, advertisements, social media, search results, your friends, its why it ends up being described as a cult.

There is a persuasion technique called "pacing and leading," best described in the inset here:
https://www.gq.com/story/scott-adams-trump-hitler

"Trump always takes the extreme position on matters of safety and security for the country, even if those positions are unconstitutional, impractical, evil, or something that the military would refuse to do. Normal people see this as a dangerous situation. Trained persuaders like me see this as something called pacing and leading. Trump “paces” the public—meaning he matches them in their emotional state, and then some."

So basically Trump has the audacity to say aloud what people feel inside, they see him as one of them, and follow him.

Of the four rhetorical devices:

Logos, an appeal to logic;
Pathos, an appeal to emotion;
Ethos, an appeal to ethics; or,
Kairos, an appeal to time.

...Trump is pure Pathos, which is why those of us who are arguing Logos or Ethos with our Trumpian family get nowhere. People don't remember what you said, but how you make them feel.

oh no awaken is a neo-Aristotelian

kairos typically isn't presented as an appeal (or proof) since Aristeezy didn't list that in his lecture notes but I can actually kind of dig it

my understanding of ethos is that an appeal to one's "character" is the stronger translation, since you might appeal to one's expertise and that isn't necessarily an ethical claim - there's a memorable example in Gorgias about a rhetor persuading the crowd he knows more than a doctor, for example.

Have you been living under a rock the last 5 years? Police are genuinely scared to open fire for fear of losing their jobs or getting indicted.

I can't tell if this is hilarious sarcasm or the dumbest shit this dumb shit has posted, so far.

Back