• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Elon Post-Game Thread (41-3 Wake Forest win)

We did get touchbacks. The kickoffs were good enough not to risk the spot on the 25. That's all you need nowadays.

Hines is an upgrade at KR/PR.

Geez. Hunter Williams gives a good interview, too. Sounds like a coach as well.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. He had two, maybe even three lapses in judgment on punt returns in the first half. Staff was coaching him up on the sidelines after each.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. He had two, maybe even three lapses in judgment on punt returns in the first half. Staff was coaching him up on the sidelines after each.

Agreed. But the physical is nice. Made the first guy kids on a couple PR and has wiggle.

O-line looked better in pass protection than run blocking. When they opened up a hole the RB's looked good. Defense was solid. The receiving was the area of greatest improvement. The receivers caught the ball. Consistently. They also advanced the ball after the catch. Seems simplistic , but it is a skill that few have possessed recently.

I missed one that he was down inside the 10. Regardless of the mistakes, he's still an upgrade.

A very nice opening game. Thought the OL still had problems but did better than last year. RBs made some nice runs, but we lacked consistency. I don't think our pass rush ever got to the QB, but you can't complain about how the defense dominated the game.

As others have noted, it's good to see a coach not pack it in with a large lead. We kept running our offense giving Hinton some meaningful experience.

It'll be interesting to see if we can move the ball well against 'Cuse, or whether this was just Elon.

Wasn't we without two starters on the DL including our best pass rusher?

They said 70. It got considerable hang time.

Wolford gives a good interview. He sounds like a coach.

I thought Hunter gave a great interview as well definitely a future coach there.

From the seats:

We are much better than last year - whether that will bear itself out in wins, who knows
I really like Bell and Colburn. They move the pile when they run
Line will still be an issue and we are thin there.
I was impressed with Brent (outside of the one horrendous drop on the comeback). It's nice to have a big target

I'm a little underwhelmed by ST outside of Kinal. If we don't get touchbacks, our coverage is pretty suspect. I missed the good punt return in the 3rd

I think we will be ok considering Weaver is filling in on kickoffs duties.

We looked a hell of a lot better than I expected. The only other time I remember a WF team looking this sharp in a season opener was when we killed Baylor on the road in 2008. Congrats to the team and coaches.

With that said, not going to get too excited until I see how we do against legit competition. Elon would lose to some high school teams.

Officially it was a 70 yd punt
However, on the replay, he kicked it from his own 2 or 3 yd line and the ball was spotted on the Elon 16.
ie. the ball travelled over 80 yds.
It also looked like he was rushed and didn't get everything into the kick.
Amazing.
I think it's safe to assume that rushed or not, he got every bit of that one and a little bit more. I doubt he's booming 70+ yard punts with any regularity in practice.

Thoughts on burning Hinton's red shirt?

Hell of a turnaround from the 1st quarter. Was looking like more of the same there for a bit, but appears to have been nothing more than first game jitters. Go Deacs.

Thoughts on burning Hinton's red shirt?

"Burning" implies there was an intent for him to red shirt in the first place. I don't think, given our very thin team, that Clawson ever intended to red shirt Hinton.
We can use his wheels and we may well need him as a starter given just how brutal our schedule is second half of the season.

A team this thin needs a back-up QB with some experience. Really happy Hinton got some quality time in the 2nd half.

"Burning" implies there was an intent for him to red shirt in the first place. I don't think, given our very thin team, that Clawson ever intended to red shirt Hinton.
We can use his wheels and we may well need him as a starter given just how brutal our schedule is second half of the season.

A team this thin needs a back-up QB with some experience. Really happy Hinton got some quality time in the 2nd half.

Dat CUT doe

Hinton was always going to play. We only have 3 QBs and two are true frosh. Hinton enrolled in January and played in the Spring Game. Next year looks like this:

JR Wolford
SO Hinton
rFR Kearns
tFR Newman

Looks good to me.

No choice. It's unlikely Wolford plays every snap this season. Gotta get reps for the backup. Also balances out scholly situation.

Yep. For example if Wolford's helmet gets knocked off it's not like we'll want to just play without a QB for a play. You need 2 QBs.

Yep. For example if Wolford's helmet gets knocked off it's not like we'll want to just play without a QB for a play. You need 2 QBs.

Or we put in a walk-on like Grobe did against Miami in 2009 when Skinner got injured. Ugh.

Back