• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Elon Post-Game Thread (41-3 Wake Forest win)

Hell of a turnaround from the 1st quarter. Was looking like more of the same there for a bit, but appears to have been nothing more than first game jitters. Go Deacs.

Yup, I think I'm still shell shocked from the late-Grobe era when we would slip by FCS teams like Liberty. I figured the season was over after that first quarter.

Just got back, we have some nice young weapons on offense and a guy taking snaps that can really deliver accurate balls, IF he has time to do it. The big problem area on offense is of course the line. I like the look of Haynes and Herron at the tackles, having 2 young tackles that will only get better is a good foundation to build a good O-line, but right now we still don't open holes consistently for the backs and I was disappointed Elon got as much pressure on Wofford as they did. The O-line will have to play much better starting at Cuse for us to be able have success.

Defensively I thought we played well. I wish the pass rush had been a bit better, but it was good to Harris out there tonight. For the most part we controlled the LOS pretty well, but we must get better as the competition goes up a lot. I was pleasantly surprised by our corners tonight. Elon tested them and our corners stayed in Elon's receivers hip pockets and made good plays on several balls. Of course they will get much stiffer tests going forward.

Kinal is Kinal, Weaver did a pretty good job on kick offs and kick coverage still makes me nervous. All in all a good positive opener, but we'll learn a lot more a week from Saturday.

Oh yeah, was really glad to see Clawson use a rare blowout in our favor as an opportunity to get our backup some quality time running the offense, instead of just using the backup to turn and hand the ball off over and over again. Hinton looks like he could develop into a real dual threat at QB.

Last edited:
It was Elon. Glad we beat the shit out of them. Hard to predict much from this game. O line is terrible again. Wolford looked great but he will not have time to throw and he's too short. Will have to keep him out of the pocket. We will not be .500.

Clawson was great. Team looks better and we are getting better. We will continue to improve. Love how he used this game to make us better rather than sit on a two touchdown lead. Clawson was the most impressive part of the game I thought.

Just got home a little while ago. We looked in control throughout. I agree with most of the observations above--was glad that we thoroughly outplayed an FCS opponent rather than squeaking through like in some recent seasons past.

I really liked the new uniforms. Very sharp.

Bro ….2 Freshman
Offensive Tackles …. Gonna get worked

Or we put in a walk-on like Grobe did against Miami in 2009 when Skinner got injured. Ugh.

he was the second best qb on the roster.

Hinton can always RS next year if Wolford is the starter and stays healthy next season.

he was the second best qb on the roster.

Hinton can always RS next year if Wolford is the starter and stays healthy next season.

Yeah. The starting spot will be competitive adding Kearns into the mix.

Just got back, we have some nice young weapons on offense and a guy taking snaps that can really deliver accurate balls, IF he has time to do it. The big problem area on offense is of course the line. I like the look of Haynes and Herron at the tackles, having 2 young tackles that will only get better is a good foundation to build a good O-line, but right now we still don't open holes consistently for the backs and I was disappointed Elon got as much pressure on Wofford as they did. The O-line will have to play much better starting at Cuse for us to be able have success.

Defensively I thought we played well. I wish the pass rush had been a bit better, but it was good to Harris out there tonight. For the most part we controlled the LOS pretty well, but we must get better as the competition goes up a lot. I was pleasantly surprised by our corners tonight. Elon tested them and our corners stayed in Elon's receivers hip pockets and made good plays on several balls. Of course they will get much stiffer tests going forward.

Kinal is Kinal, Weaver did a pretty good job on kick offs and kick coverage still makes me nervous. All in all a good positive opener, but we'll learn a lot more a week from Saturday.

Oh yeah, was really glad to see Clawson use a rare blowout in our favor as an opportunity to get our backup some quality time running the offense, instead of just using the backup to turn and hand the ball off over and over again. Hinton looks like he could develop into a real dual threat at QB.

I agree with this analysis. The OL is still our most threatening weakness. We have considerably more offensive weapons, but without a better than adequate OL we can't take advantage.

Wolford is a player with huge potential, notwithstanding his height. His completions were 20 out of 27, with at least 3 drops.
But our receivers block better on the edges.

Corners surprised me..excellent coverage. However they will be beaten against ACC teams unless we generate a pass rush.

Our return game still needs a lot of work.

But, a win with almost 600 yards of total offense is so refreshing regardless of the competition.

What a difference having O-Lineman who can move around and finish blocks. The improved run blocking will keep LBs from laughing at our play action. Can't wait until next week. In Claw we trust!

I was on the hill and one of the few times I liked that angle of view was the Wolford run. It was just amazing, he's got some serious legs and was very smart about utilizing his blockers and anticipating which side/gap to hit.

Back