• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

From an article posted on the BC board :

The Marquette job just opened up and Ben Howland has already expressed an interest in the opening. Then there's Wake Forest, which has reportedly zeroed in on either VCU's Shaka Smart or Howland. Smart has turned down multiple $2+ million dollar / year offers over the past few seasons and is supposedly waiting for one of the country's elite college basketball jobs to open up. But a coach's stock doesn't stay high forever. Could Smart's stock rightly or wrongly take a hit following Stephen F. Austin's VCU-ing of VCU in the NCAA Tournament? Might Wake Forest be able to pick off the highly-sought Rams head coach?

From an article posted on the BC board :

The Marquette job just opened up and Ben Howland has already expressed an interest in the opening. Then there's Wake Forest, which has reportedly zeroed in on either VCU's Shaka Smart or Howland. Smart has turned down multiple $2+ million dollar / year offers over the past few seasons and is supposedly waiting for one of the country's elite college basketball jobs to open up. But a coach's stock doesn't stay high forever. Could Smart's stock rightly or wrongly take a hit following Stephen F. Austin's VCU-ing of VCU in the NCAA Tournament? Might Wake Forest be able to pick off the highly-sought Rams head coach?

I was more impressed watching Harvard and Dayton yesterday than VCU on Friday. Archie made all the right moves to end the game.

On the Amaker front: I think there is no question he can coach, but can he recruit? Did he have any big name recruits at Michigan or Seton Hall? I know he won't have them at Harvard but at his previous 2 stops, he should have been able to...

On the Amaker front: I think there is no question he can coach, but can he recruit? Did he have any big name recruits at Michigan or Seton Hall? I know he won't have them at Harvard but at his previous 2 stops, he should have been able to...

Several top 10 classes at Seton Hall.

Toughest head coaches to recruit against

Top 20 mid-major head coaches

3. Tommy Amaker, Harvard Crimson
He’s a good-looking coach at the best academic institution in America -- and his pedigree includes playing at Duke and coaching at two high-major schools. The Crimson have it rolling, and can beat just about any mid-major they go up against these days.

Outside of Shaka, he is the best recruiter out of the coaches mentioned.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 28s
Meantime, I’m told Wake’s search is focused on “current head coaches.” Which is silly. Wake should talk to Howland, too. And Jeff Capel.

screw that ... this is the guy we really need at this point in time and Ron's gonna blow it

Agreed. This is a B+ hire, and we are holding out for an A+. The only people who aren't interested in Howland are the Kenpom fan boys. Most of our fan base has no clue who, or what, Kenpom is and would be very excited to land a coach of Howland's stature.

I would love for Smart to come here and I respect that we need to take a shot at him, but I hope we move quickly in the next couple days. If Smart says no, we better ink Howland.

Meantime, I’m told Wake’s search is focused on “current head coaches.” Which is silly. Wake should talk to Howland, too. And Jeff Capel.
Capel, ugh.

Thanks. Did any of them make it in the NBA? McKie's class was ranked #13 by scout but obviously didn't pan out.

Eddie Griffin played for several years before going out in the most spectacular way ever. Getting hit by a train while cranking it in your Escalade.

Bye Howland. And bye Capel, which is a good thing.
I'm scared as hell of what happens when Ron doesn't land Shaka. (And that's not LOWF, that's Small Time Ron Wellman, or STRW for short, patent pending.)

The cheerleading from writers for Jeff Capel needs to stop.

Amaker, DO NOT WANT. Shaka, Marshall, Archie, or Howland. No one else.

Does anyone really believe that Marquette is a better job than Wake? Better conference, better weather, better recruiting profile, better academic reputation. What am I missing?

Maybe a commitment to winning?

Back