• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Eddie Griffin played for several years before going out in the most spectacular way ever. Getting hit by a train while cranking it in your Escalade.

He also brought in Sam Dalembert, who I think may still be in the NBA. Andre Barrett was also in the big class with Griffin and Toney-El, and I think he had a cup of coffee with the Rockets and maybe another team or two. Adrian Griffin played in the NBA for many years, but I think he may have been before Amaker, my memory is failing me on that one.

The only names I've seen that would be tough for me to warm up to are Turner and Capel. Luckily, I don't think either are serious candidates.

Given Amaker was a bust at Michigan, how is it he is such a top recruiter? I don't want someone with loyalties to Duke. Don't want Capel either. I have stated before, I'd take Howland in a heartbeat, but am somewhat concerned he has openly expressed interest in so many openings - BC, Marquette and Wake. It's clear he wants a gig and its clear he is promoting himself while hoping to create a bit of a bidding war. Can't blame him but wish it was less than a shotgun approach.

I don't think any of K's former players and coaches would go to another ACC school, especially Wake, State, or UNC. I just can't see them willing to challenge their mentor on a regular basis in such heated rivalries.

I don't think any of K's former players and coaches would go to another ACC school, especially Wake, State, or UNC. I just can't see them willing to challenge their mentor on a regular basis in such heated rivalries.

Their mentor won't be there forever

Talk to any Michigan fan, even with the shit they were going through at the time, fans think Amaker underachieved

Given Amaker was a bust at Michigan, how is it he is such a top recruiter? I don't want someone with loyalties to Duke. Don't want Capel either. I have stated before, I'd take Howland in a heartbeat, but am somewhat concerned he has openly expressed interest in so many openings - BC, Marquette and Wake. It's clear he wants a gig and its clear he is promoting himself while hoping to create a bit of a bidding war. Can't blame him but wish it was less than a shotgun approach.

Do you have no concerns about his last five years at UCLA? What about talk like this?

http://grantland.com/features/mark-t...ament-mailbag/

"With Haith and Crean relegated to the NIT and LOL, which coach will baffle the country with questionable rotations and terrible decisions during this year’s tournament? What team will advance in spite of this coach? I think you’re gonna say Rick Barnes. In fact I will be really surprised if you don’t say Rick Barnes.
—Phil A.

My two favorite things involving coaches that I like to remind people about:

1. Rick Barnes lost by 19 in the second round with Kevin Durant and D.J. Augustin.

2. Ben Howland had a week to prepare and a starting five of Darren Collison, Russell Westbrook, Josh Shipp, Luc Mbah a Moute, and Kevin Love in 2008, and he lost to what was essentially just Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts by 15 in the Final Four.5

This should be each of these guys’ versions of “Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU.”"

It's clear [Howland] wants a gig and its clear he is promoting himself while hoping to create a bit of a bidding war. Can't blame him but wish it was less than a shotgun approach.

Seriously, if you were Howland, would you hold out for WFU knowing Wellman is making (or not making) the decisions?

Are you sure about that?

Yes. Their AD resigned in December. They named some temp from administration until they finish their search for a new President so he can make the hire. Sounds like a lot going on at Marquette right now.

If Howland takes that job, not knowing who his bosses will be, tells me he is not on Wake's radar.

Totally agree. I do not understand the fascination with Amaker.

Better than Capel

The Dookie hype for Capel reminds me of the hype for Amaker leading to the Seton Hall and Michigan jobs.

Dickie V is a Seton Hall alum and pushed hard for Amaker there. Then he pushed hard for Michigan to steal his alma mater's coach.

Is everyone in agreement that if Wake doesn't get Shaka, that VT got a better hire than us? Howland would make it close, but still give VT edge.

Back