• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Manning is not a top tier candidate. But he merits consideration if we miss on some others.

Never mind people here keep on demanding a can't miss hire but won't name who those are. Who besides Shaka would really energize the fan base?

Given realistically what we are looking at, I agree with DeacMan. If our top choices are all saying "no" - who are we going to go get? It's painfully obvious that coaching at Wake in the ACC isn't nearly as prestigious as we want to believe. And I can't believe I'm saying this shit. Reality blows. Fuck you, Ron, for making us irrelevant.

Dean Smith was very upset when Larry Brown poached Manning from Greensboro's Page High School.

Manning looks fairly well spoken in you tube interviews. He is also relatively young. I think this hire has huge upside. I would be all for it.

Best case for Manning: Kevin Ollie
Worst case for Manning: Sidney Lowe

Sorry for not going cross racial, was going for former NBA players with little head job experience before their first major job. I guess I could have thrown out the mayor for best case as well.

Eh, Manning has a ton of experience working for Bill Self which is probably the #1 thing going for him. Plus he has at least some HC experience and at least showed he wasn't a complete disaster.

Best case for Manning: Kevin Ollie
Worst case for Manning: Sidney Lowe

Sorry for not going cross racial, was going for former NBA players with little head job experience before their first major job. I guess I could have thrown out the mayor for best case as well.

Seems rational. Which do you think is more likely?

Ah yes, our version of the Sidney Lowe Era is about to commence. Embrace it, folks. Embrace it.

Howland has to be ahead of Manning. I know some are down on him, but he's an established and accomplished coach. We will be competitive with him. Manning might turn out to be great or he may be completely overwhelmed coaching in the ACC. At the very least Howland gets us to the middle of the pack in the ACC in 2-3 years. I'm still Shaka, Marshall, Archie before Howland, but there is no reason to hit tier C if Howland is a viable option for us.

Seems rational. Which do you think is more likely?

I have no idea. Others know more than me about this stuff but I don't think they are too confident either way either. Where is moon with the blindfolded Ronald and the dartboard?

Dean Smith was very upset when Larry Brown poached Manning from Greensboro's Page High School.

Manning looks fairly well spoken in you tube interviews. He is also relatively young. I think this hire has huge upside. I would be all for it.

I think he would do a good job for us as well.

My expectations are out of wack due to the Shaka stuff and the DC article.

You cannot compare Manning and [Redacted]. First - Manning actually has more personality than the basketball unlike [Redacted]. Second - Manning won a national title as a player and an assistant coach. Third, Manning has coached at a smaller, private, academic school. 4th - [Redacted] has no comparables.

Tulsa is an "academic" school?

Oh, well it least he's well-spoken. I mean who cares if he can coach or not as long as he's a "Wake Forest" man?

God told me it was okay to post after that last Goodman tweet.

1. VCU twitter is the worst thing I have ever seen. You can't say something about Shaka without getting a "HUURRRRR SHAKA AINT LEAVIN" tweet from some fat guy dressed like a ram.
2. I have been getting snapchats saying "THEY ARE WATCHING YOU" with posts of my tweets, so that's fun.
3. I tried asking my KU friend if manning would be good but he is a total homer so idk.
4. What the fuck, Ron Wellman.
5. I actually gave up fast food but I'm tempted to go get a cookout milkshake.
6. We will definitely suck until we get Currie. And he might suck too.
7. I hate sports

Howland has to be ahead of Manning. I know some are down on him, but he's an established and accomplished coach. We will be competitive with him. Manning might turn out to be great or he may be completely overwhelmed coaching in the ACC. At the very least Howland gets us to the middle of the pack in the ACC in 2-3 years. I'm still Shaka, Marshall, Archie before Howland, but there is no reason to hit tier C if Howland is a viable option for us.

He has to be. For all his faults, Howland's upside is demonstrably higher than Manning's.

They must not have been showcasing many Clippers games on NBA on NBC back in the early 90's when I was 10 years old.
Pretty sure they were, you could've seen Manning carry them on his back to two straight playoff appearances. You would've been impressed.

Coming from someone who deals with a lot of startups and talks to a lot of VCs, "huge upside" is a euphemism for "risky as fuck".

Sidney Lowe was coaching in the NBA and was an alumnus or wouldn't have gotten any consideration.

Manning is on the path to get a major coaching job.

No comparison.

I agree with this too. Howland should be pretty darn high on our list IMO because he knows how to build a program.

You cannot compare Manning and [Redacted]. First - Manning actually has more personality than the basketball unlike [Redacted]. Second - Manning won a national title as a player and an assistant coach. Third, Manning has coached at a smaller, private, academic school. 4th - [Redacted] has no comparables.

1. Seems pretty boring to me on YouTube.
2. WGAF about the title as a player. As an assistant coach, fine. Different animal than being a head coach.
3. Air Force Academy is extremely rigorous and has like 4,000 cadets. Next.
4. Buzz coached in the NBA.
5. Everyone likes to think they were totally anti-Buzz the second he was hired, but that's revisionist history. Most people didn't even understand who we were dealing with until we lost that first game.

It's too bad these boards didn't exist back then, because I'd love to find a record of all the people who went through the same exact process of talking themselves into a bad hire after being blindsided.

Back