• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

God told me it was okay to post after that last Goodman tweet.

1. VCU twitter is the worst thing I have ever seen. You can't say something about Shaka without getting a "HUURRRRR SHAKA AINT LEAVIN" tweet from some fat guy dressed like a ram.
2. I have been getting snapchats saying "THEY ARE WATCHING YOU" with posts of my tweets, so that's fun.
3. I tried asking my KU friend if manning would be good but he is a total homer so idk.
4. What the fuck, Ron Wellman.
5. I actually gave up fast food but I'm tempted to go get a cookout milkshake.
6. We will definitely suck until we get Currie. And he might suck too.
7. I hate sports

YES! Welcome to the funhouse, Brews!

God told me it was okay to post after that last Goodman tweet.

1. VCU twitter is the worst thing I have ever seen. You can't say something about Shaka without getting a "HUURRRRR SHAKA AINT LEAVIN" tweet from some fat guy dressed like a ram.
2. I have been getting snapchats saying "THEY ARE WATCHING YOU" with posts of my tweets, so that's fun.
3. I tried asking my KU friend if manning would be good but he is a total homer so idk.
4. What the fuck, Ron Wellman.
5. I actually gave up fast food but I'm tempted to go get a cookout milkshake.
6. We will definitely suck until we get Currie. And he might suck too.
7. I hate sports
BREWS IS BACK!

Agreed about Howland... Let's please sign Howland, have him bring us back to respectability for the next 4-5 years while we keep an eye on unproven coaches like Manning, White, etc.

Was hoping to get our "lifer" this time around, but now I'm too scared and would settle for a Howland type to be the bridge to our main guy.

Danny Manning could turn out to be good for sure. Could turn out terrible. Roll of the dice. Something we really needed to avoid and apparently tried to avoid. The fact is Ron tried and struck out with a bunch of dudes, not just Shaka. Thankfully this is almost undoubtedly his last major hire.

Exactly. If Bzz had been fired on a Monday and Manning hired on a Friday, it would have been an underwhelming but okay, C+ hire. After VPI hired Buzz, and after all the $3 mill and "swinging for the fences" talk, it's a huge disappointment. It's also a huge risk, which is the last thing we need right now. If we can't pull an Archie Miller with that kind of money now, what's our next coaching search going to look like if Manning flames out and it's been close to a decade since we've made the tournament?

Agreed about Howland... Let's please sign Howland, have him bring us back to respectability for the next 4-5 years while we keep an eye on unproven coaches like Manning, White, etc.

Was hoping to get our "lifer" this time around, but now I'm too scared and would settle for a Howland type to be the bridge to our main guy.

me too

I think it is fair to say the only "sure thing/big time/tier a" hires are: Shaka, Marshall, Wright, Archie, Howland-ish

There is no tier-b or tier-c...Just everyone else. Regardless if it is Mack, Manning, etc we all will consider the process somewhat of a failure. Some of us will just proceed with more cautious optimism than others

Tulsa is an "academic" school?

Oh, well it least he's well-spoken. I mean who cares if he can coach or not as long as he's a "Wake Forest" man?

Yes, apparently our resident golf course designer went to the same PR and messaging as Chairman Ron.

Sidney Lowe was coaching in the NBA and was an alumnus or wouldn't have gotten any consideration.

Manning is on the path to get a major coaching job.

No comparison.

Are we sure Danny Manning is considered if he wasn't from this area, ie local ties? I'm talking worst case you couldn't see a guy who recruits decently well but can't hang with the coaches in the ACC? That's Sid Lowe.

Exactly. If Bzz had been fired on a Monday and Manning hired on a Friday, it would have been an underwhelming but okay, C+ hire. After VPI hired Buzz, and after all the $3 mill and "swinging for the fences" talk, it's a huge disappointment. It's also a huge risk, which is the last thing we need right now. If we can't pull an Archie Miller with that kind of money now, what's our next coaching search going to look like if Manning flames out and it's been close to a decade since we've made the tournament?

Well said.

Overseer Hatch, are you reading??

Didn't baby or somebody on here say that Ron really liked Howland? Maybe he just turned us down. If it's true that Ron likes him, I don't see how Ron could consider Manning a better hire at this point, unless Howland was just asking for more money than we were willing to go.

I think it is fair to say the only "sure thing/big time/tier a" hires are: Shaka, Marshall, Wright, Archie, Howland-ish

There is no tier-b or tier-c...Just everyone else. Regardless if it is Mack, Manning, etc we all will consider the process somewhat of a failure. Some of us will just proceed with more cautious optimism than others

+1

Everyone take a breath...and realize VTech made a better hire than we will. Ok carry on justifying a Meh-ning hire.

At this point I'm just hoping that Manning is a smoke screen for Howland / Miller to try and lower their respective asking price(s).

That Danny and the Miracles team had quite an impressive bench. Larry Brown, R.C Buford and Alvin Gentry.

Question: If Manning hadn't upset KENPOM FAVE MR. MIKE WHITE in the CUSA title game, would we even be having this conversation right now?

At this point I'm just hoping that Manning is a smoke screen for Howland / Miller to try and lower their respective asking price(s).

Or maybe Howland/Miller leaked the info and sent Ron a link to this thread.

I was paying attention. Chris Mack is actually a reasonable "floor" for a coach. I'd be fine with him. Manning is a pretty unknown quantity. They are completely different.

If you're paying attention, then comment on why Manning isn't similar to Mack as a potential strategic leak and not a serious candidate. Or why he is. I wasn't asking about his resume. If you don't have an opinion on the Manning information as a smokescreen, then ignore my post like you would half the useless stuff here.

Back