• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Sad if we end up here... Means that we aren't seen as a program worth coaching. To me, means we dipped about 10-15 deep with worthy candidates before SETTLING. The only "home-run hire" with this would be to spin it as a "T-ball home-run" - ground ball in the infield that goes through everyone's legs and gets thrown around the ball park for a mess and the proud parents tell everyone at work how their kid hit a home-run.

I'm guilty of it, too, but we've gotta stop with the baseball metaphors. RW needs a swish, nothing but net. If it's not, it doesn't matter whether it's a brick or an airball.

I hope Manning shoves a BK whopper down his throat and declines his shitty offer. Manning might very well be a great guy. It would be a damn Shame for wellman to lure him into this sinkhole for a few million dollars and ruin his potential long and profitable career.

Every NBA coach thought Ollie was better than Donovan. I know college and NBA aren't the same thing, but if you're saying who's better, you gotta go with the guy who stuck in the league rather than the guy who sat at the end of the bench for two years.

one was drafted and it wasn't Ollie.......
so who is a better player in your mind Steve Blake or Chill!?!?!

the-brain-from-planet-arous-rec5bc-nathan-juran-usa-1957_gif1.gif

ESPN doesn't just throw up stupid LOWF news unless they have a somewhat reliable source and it has a chance. The Shaka offer wasn't even on their radar and we all thought it was 60/40

lol. When it comes to coaching searches, ESPN is worse than these boards in speculating. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're wrong in this case.

I feel like Jason Lee at the end of Almost Famous- can't they just make us look cool? For once? Can't we just hire guy that really fires up the base, makes recruits notice, and scares other teams?

I could talk myself into Manning. He's a name, relatively young, and aggressive. Way better than the last guy, that's for sure.

one was drafted and it wasn't Ollie.......
so who is a better player in your mind Steve Blake or Chill!?!?!

Blake's a really fucking good player as much as we hate to admit it. He was a better college player than Childress.

He was the first ACC player to amass 1,000 points, 800 assists, 400 rebounds, and 200 steals. 5th in the NCAA all-time in assists when he finished and went to two Final Fours with a championship.

And obviously a better pro.

Gary Williams was not on our list when we hired Odom. He was a "swing and a miss" before we hired Staak; stayed at BC one more year, then to Ohio St for 3 and was hired at Maryland the same year Odom came to Wake.

You are right, reading the board too much and can not think.got my timelines confused.

Does anyone think we'll announce the new coach at the Wake Will event in DC Hatch just tweeted about? Maybe someone is already signed, but we're waiting for an event that will bring in huge donations along with the announcement.

we are going to screw this up worse than the How I met your mother ending and that was pretty god awful

So are we giving up on Shaka? Crazy that there was never a formal announcement or even a leak.

I know it's denial but I'm hoping this Manning announcement was posturing to get Shaka or some other better candidate to commit/accept an offer.

Does anyone think we'll announce the new coach at the Wake Will event in DC Hatch just tweeted about? Maybe someone is already signed, but we're waiting for an event that will bring in huge donations along with the announcement.

Nathan is just trolling the boards to set us up for a ridiculous explosion of April Fools posts.

I could talk myself into Manning. He's a name, relatively young, and aggressive. Way better than the last guy, that's for sure.

That's just it. You shouldn't have to talk yourself into THIS hire. Home runs don't require convincing.

Back