• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

You mean he was like Childress or Larue? Dang.

I don't know if Kansas numbers their assistants, but both Dooley and Townsend were assistants when Manning got promoted, and both remained there for Manning's entire stint on the bench, so if they do, he was most likely their #3 assistant.

Our coaching search:

gif-trainwreck-runawaycar.gif

He had to take the interview in order to come back and get a deal. He said Wake was interested basically in the same breath as he said he was sitting down with the Tulsa folks to talk the future.

Damn, that's embarrassing.

At 6'10", Danny Manning would most likely have the longest penis of all ACC coaches, and perhaps the longest penis of any coach in NCAA. So that's pretty cool.

If we had gone out and said that because of [name redacted] and the last four years we do not have the money to hire a top tier coach then the meltdown would have been much smaller if we hire a candidate like Manning. To not say anything about the search but throw out crumbs that money is no object, we are looking at a home run hire, Shaka could be settling, the meltdown is going to epic. Ron Wellman's head will be demanded on a silver platter and the entire athletic department needs to be burnt to the ground.

Yep. I'm not sure if they realize this is their last shot with much of the fanbase.

I think about a lot of the women I went to Wake with and am still friends with on Facebook who were diehard Wake basketball fans back at Wake. Most of them barely follow the team anymore and I hadn't seen anything about Wake sports from them for years until Bz was gone. That day several of them posted how happy they were and excited about the future.

If we make a great hire like somebody they've heard of and/or a charismatic guy their age who can convince them to come back to the fold, the AD has a chance. If we don't? They may be lost for good.

Last edited:
Manning is the only real scoop that I've seen to this point. He apparently said that Wake has shown interest in him just before meeting with his AD. All of these other rumors we have heard are just that...rumors. Has SS come out and officially turned us down? Who cares about Amaker? Does the Miller and White info come from a legitimate source or is it all speculation and hearsay? I still haven't heard anything out of Marshall about anything. Maybe RW has a big time offer out and is choosing not to waste time by interviewing others while he waits for an answer. It's funny to watch the manic behavior of some on this board. A few days ago it was we're getting Shaka and now it's OMG fire RW because he's blowing this hire too. The funny thing is that's its been so quiet that everyone is expecting the worst. Let's try to remain positive and not burn RW at the stake unless he screws the pooch again. Everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves. STAY POSITIVE

Serious question: Manning or Capel? Because yea...we may be goin' there.

Not a Manning fan, but at least he hasn't proven himself a failure like Capel has.

I'm quickly moving towards jumping on the Say Hey train of hiring Battle for a year, firing Wellman, and giving the new AD a shot at this next year.

Everytime I see that gif I think: damn that dude in the blue shirt who got stuck in the cart is an idiot - just hit the brakes.

If this happens, I'll root for him and hope he proves people wrong. The thing is, it will be fucking luck, not basing a decision on any meaningful body of work.

Not a Manning fan, but at least he hasn't proven himself a failure like Capel has.

I'm quickly moving towards jumping on the Say Hey train of hiring Battle for a year, firing Wellman, and giving the new AD a shot at this next year.

Yea I'd prefer Manning over Capel, but the fact that I'm even asking is sad.

Only 60% kidding now!

It is hard to believe that Wellman had the idea that Brad Stevens and Jay Wright would be interested. Then Shaka and Amaker to Manning. What does that make Danny a blooper?

I suspect there will be a board meltdown, because this board meltsdown about every goddamn thing, but at least Manning should come across as a good dude at the press conference and get people thinking optimistically.

(note: before I saw [Redacted] speak and realized his weirdness, I thought the same thing would happen)

Back