• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Fuck this thread again! Fuck Ron Wellman! I'm out! Again!

The alumni and general fanbase are going to be absolutely amazed in several years if Wake ever gets an above-average athletic director. It'll be like moving from dial-up to cable.

This board is made up of people who tune in to ESPN3.com broadcasts at 2pm on a Saturday. It's not this board we should be concerned about.

Unfortunately we have been on espn3 on saturday for the last 4 years. I am hoping we can get some games back on the mother ship.

Well we did briefly...but it also goes to the fact that we shouldn't have waited so long to fire [name redacted].

I agree Williams wasn't a good fit here, but I just can't believe Williams was a "good" fit at Virginia Tech either.

Pretty sure the wise men of the boards told us it was a done deal and not to be worried. Tick tock and all that.

Katie Lembo ‏@kkatielembo 4h
About to literally throw up all over the doctors office's clean carpet

Wait, is this the "girl i have a crush on in middle school just talked to me so i'm going to throw up" or "i just got kicked so hard in the nuts i'm going to throw up?"

It's people like you who continue to believe that we're LOWF.... Screw that!! I would much rather have a proven winner in Howland anyday of the week than Danny Manning.. Danny Manning can't even be compared to Howland... I just can't believe how people like you settle for such a low level mentality about Wake Forest... Freaking rise above the average thinking and believe that we can be great again.

I've talked candidates with 10-12 Wake alum friends in the real world, and everyone seemed pretty agreeable to Manning, should Miller/Shaka/Marshall not work out. A few liked Howland, but all were generally okay with a Manning hire. Then I came on here, where the idea is being treated like the Ebola virus. Most Wake people I talk to are just happy the old coach is gone and ready for a real one to step in. They're not going to be "disappointed" with Manning. Wanted Shaka? Sure. But we just sucked hard for four years, it seems like a stretch that we'd get the absolute best coach candidate possible, and a hot mid-major coach with significant upside -- who, importantly, seems like he could recruit -- makes perfect sense in this context. At least to me.

Maybe it's a small sample size, but I'm pretty surprised by the tone here.

The one that really hurts and will sick with me for a long time is Mike White. I can rationalize every other candidate turning us down (even Manning, if he does, to some extent with a young team and moving up conferences to AAC).

Assuming the rumors are true, I have no idea how we were not able to land Mike White given his circumstances.

One thing to consider is that Wellman is clearly not offering massive salaries to all candidates. Perhaps Wellman is lowballing some of these guys based on his own view of their relative worth.

Our current and former players have been all over Twitter essentially begging the lunatics to quit with billboards/ad campaign/Quad rolling. Respected media people like Jay Bilas have written about how wrong this all has been. I just can't believe that hasn't impacted the perception of our job amongst potential candidates.

The alumni and general fanbase are going to be absolutely amazed in several years if Wake ever gets an above-average athletic director. It'll be like moving from dial-up to cable.

Let's hope we can find out. It's crazy that Wellman only really started getting heat about 2 years ago. He was untouchable before that.

Biff, how do you want to be referred to? Thread King? Thread Sultan? Thread Caesar?

In a factory of sadness.

tumblr_mea8h3mhhG1qd252so1_500.gif

More like this for sure.

Wellman said we had to keep that guy for four years so the coaching community would not shun us. How did that play out?

Back