• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

LOL. You don't think being able to recruit the same caliber of players as UNC and Duke is an important metric for a potential Wake basketball coach? Delusional.
HAHA

Delusional? look in the mirror my friend When has Danny Manning proved he can do this ? At kansas? it sells itself and Bill self helps .

Our current and former players have been all over Twitter essentially begging the lunatics to quit with billboards/ad campaign/Quad rolling. Respected media people like Jay Bilas have written about how wrong this all has been. I just can't believe that hasn't impacted the perception of our job amongst potential candidates.

Lol...stop.

Just stop.

Some of you are about as dense as a brick wall.

I know nobody cares, but from now on anyone who posts about fans impacting this job search, fans impacting why someone wouldn't want to leave LTU or Tulsa to come to Wake, fans impacting...well really anything will be immediately ignored.

I've heard a similar story from a bunch of people; my hope is that their source is the same and it's BS, although hard to believe because it jibes well with everything that's been publicly available. Anyway, White (undoubtedly influenced by his father) apparently wants more experience at his first job before he jumps to the next level, so he took himself out of consideration early in the process with Wake. Also explains how he went from USF's main target one day to "not in consideration" the next.

He's got a lot of returning talent so I imagine it won't be hard for him to get a high level gig after next season if he chooses to pursue one at that time. But yeah, MEGA BUMMER.

Hopefully everything I've just typed is all bullshit.

Who is White's father (a former coach)?

Our current and former players have been all over Twitter essentially begging the lunatics to quit with billboards/ad campaign/Quad rolling. Respected media people like Jay Bilas have written about how wrong this all has been. I just can't believe that hasn't impacted the perception of our job amongst potential candidates.

I guess we could burn couches and riot. Works everywhere else. :rulz:

There was no support for any of that until fans didn't get their emails returned by Wellman and Hatch and they got blown off by the big wigs. The fans had no voice without going public. Billboards, ads, etc showed fans who don't post here and who don't go to games that they weren't alone in their displeasure with the direction of Wake athletics. [Redacted] may still be the coach if not for the public pressure.

As far as the Quad rolling, any reasonable person knows that getting Wake basketball back on track is a multi-step process. The first step was getting rid of Bz. So students and fans rolled the Quad. If we bring in a legit coach, that's the second step and students and fans will roll the Quad.

It wouldn't be a good hire from the outset, but we don't know if he would be a bad coach or not. There's no indication that he is a bad coach. There's also no real indication of what kind of coach he would be.

This would be an instance of pretty bad hire, like you said, but unknown on whether or not it would be a good fit and the coach would succeed.

Compare that with the last search four years ago where it was an atrocious hire, the coach was clearly not good and it was clearly not a good fit.

I think Manning would have potential for success, but that we have no idea where the floor is. Bottom line, we should get someone who is better known where we have a better chance of identifying floors and ceilings. Manning is a total unknown.

When a loyal fan of 35+ years can't get excited about the hire, it's a bad hire. When a loyal fan of 35+ years is ready to walk away from you, you have a PR nightmare.

And we often hear how well respected Ron is in the coaching community- yet none of the top coaches seem to want to work for him. Odd.

You'd think the response would be, "$3M AND I get to work with Ron Wellman! Geez, where do I sign?"

Was on a couple Tulsa boards today and didn't see a single one mention any of the things you mentioned. They all dissed Wake Forest as a lower tier ACC job that cannot compete with its in-state rivals, is a massive re-building project (they cited our record the past four years), and then they typically mention some culture stuff they absorbed from the media about how the team was good, but dirty, under Dino. Take a look at how other fans view Wake and there is no doubt about the damage done by the past 4 years and how Wellman handled it.

selective in what you talk about.
all the journalists are also saying that wake is the most desirable opening in coaching right now.
the current players wanted us to keep Bz. Should we have listened????
Colorado and air force journalists both wrote articles on Friday slamming bz as a coach ANYWHERE he goes.
many journalists have applauded our passion and even said that if not for the pressure of the stratt campaign we maybe would be tolerating bz for a fifth year!
the passion in many journalists' perspective is a PLUS

Last edited:
It's people like you who continue to believe that we're LOWF.... Screw that!! I would much rather have a proven winner in Howland anyday of the week than Danny Manning.. Danny Manning can't even be compared to Howland... I just can't believe how people like you settle for such a low level mentality about Wake Forest... Freaking rise above the average thinking and believe that we can be great again.

If you don't particularly like Howland based on how he got run out of UCLA, and don't hate Manning because he's got less experience, you're LOWF. Got it.

Was on a couple Tulsa boards today and didn't see a single one mention any of the things you mentioned. They all dissed Wake Forest as a lower tier ACC job that cannot compete with its in-state rivals, is a massive re-building project (they cited our record the past four years), and then they typically mention some culture stuff they absorbed from the media about how the team was good, but dirty, under Dino. Take a look at how other fans view Wake and there is no doubt about the damage done by the past 4 years and how Wellman handled it.
Thanks, Ronbama.

Why settle for Archie Miller when we can land a former NC State guard who's like 15 years older with boatloads more life experience.

Mentored by Pop >>> Mentored by Sendek.

Vote Smart

Vote Daring

Vote Innovative

Vote Del Negro

Lol...stop.

Just stop.

Some of you are about as dense as a brick wall.

The perception of our job is not good. There are plenty of reasons for that, notably [Redacted] and Wellman the past 4 years. The really blatant, public buzzout stuff made a bad situation worse and was counter-productive.

You've got to wonder if what prospective coaches took away from Wellman's narrative is this:

In order to win at Wake you've got to be lucky (Duncan, Paul) or dirty (Dino era). If you run the program the way Wellman wants is run, there's no way you can win a championship or even get close.

Back