• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Will everyone head to a full meltdown mode if the story leaks that after visiting, Manning has opted to stay @ Tulsa? I can't imagine the names RW has to go looking for if this occurs.

If Manning says no, I think it's a quick push for either Mack or Howland. I think Howland would take the job even if offered last. He's discovering he's toxic. I prefer Manning to both those guys, but that's what I'd do if he turned us down.

I get the sense that Manning is not very likely to turn us down, but nothing surprises me any more.

I expected about 20% of the people on here would convince themselves whatever disappointing hire Ron announced would be acceptable- surprised it seems to be more like 50% of the board. We're talking about a coach that lost to Oral Roberts at home last season. A coach that had no really impressive wins and a number of really bad losses. And last season is supposed to be his good season. Someone who has only been a head coach for 2 years. After four years of Bz and some of you have been reduced to thinking this is acceptable. This is rock bottom.

Yes, Dayton beat two bizarre and relatively mediocre big name basketball teams in the NCAA tourney: Ohio State and Syracuse. Bottomline is that Dayton was the last team in the tourney from the A10. They would have played in the First Four but the committee likely didn't want to have them play games in Dayton. They want on a nice run but the verdict is still out on Miller as well. He likely wanted to leave the option open to coach at NC State. Coming to Wake would pretty much have killed that dream.

Outside of this run, his 3 years at Dayton have been very Purnell/Gregory like. Nothing special.

GET READY FOLKS

2z3yjb5.jpg

(bc he's tall, get it?)

Found it!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning?

Can we please lose the "Manning turned Tulsa around" BS? Tulsa has had 3 losing seasons in 25 years, all consecutive from 04 to 06. His first year, expectations were low because there was some turnover, manning was an unknown commodity, and because pundits don't generally give a shit about delving deep into anybody's CUSA roster makeup unless it is Memphis. He won the conference this year because all the good teams left the conference.

Last edited:
If Wellman had his way, [Redacted] would STILL be our coach. Think about it. We could be entering Year 5 of the Bz-tanic. In an alternate universe, we are.

Danny Manning all day every day.

Will everyone head to a full meltdown mode if the story leaks that after visiting, Manning has opted to stay @ Tulsa? I can't imagine the names RW has to go looking for if this occurs.

That's why I started the assistant coaches thread.

What I don't get about the big talk from Wellman and Hatch is what other home run hires were they pursuing if not Marshall and Howland?

And if they only had one home run guy (who somebody in Dan's ear called a double) why talk a big game in the first place?

Can we please lose the "Manning turned Tulsa around" BS? Tulsa has had 3 losing seasons in 25 years, all consecutive from 04

Yep. Tulsa has been a solid program that has spawned some great coaches and some bad to mediocre ones.

What I don't get about the big talk from Wellman and Hatch is what other home run hires were they pursuing if not Marshall and Howland?

And if they only had one home run guy (who somebody in Dan's ear called a double) why talk a big game in the first place?

This is what happens when you don't involve a search firm/professionals. Amateur mistakes.

I fully expect Wellman to say that Danny Manning is a homerun for Wake Forest at the press conference.

expectations management above is a great observation.

This is like telling your wife you will be home by 7 but stroll through the door at 8 instead of saying I should hopefully be home by 9 and then showing up early

This could be the best thing/advice ever stated on this board.

Why can't we hire a coach that doesn't have something that bothers me about the way he dresses

Dino = purple suits

Bzd = stopped shopping for new shit 25 yrs ago. Doesn't understand that all clothing items don't need to contain the same color

Danny manning: nba draft day suits from 2004

Best three months of news for our Athletic department in five years. Bringing the fun back. Could not be happier.

I'm not sure anyone crushed the Bzz hire more than me on the Scout board. Older posters will remember. Several sunshine posters actually tried to get me kicked out of premium. This is not the same thing, hiring Manning, and if you can't see that, I honestly don't know what to say.

Like I said yesterday or the day before (who knows?), sometimes the best outcomes are borne of risky decisions. I think we all know about Coach K and his humble beginnings at Army and early struggles at Duke. But I do think there is something to be said about the argument that the administrative foundation upon which we are trying to rebuild our BB program may in fact be a hindrance. While they may have honorable intentions, success in big-time BB often doesn't require honorable men, or at least men who are beyond reproach. But we are Wake Forest damn it, and we have standards!! Such a catch-22.

We should have an over/under on the most buttons on a single suit Danny Manning will rock next season

I'll set it at 4.5

Back