• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Remember that one of Wellman's first major changes was letting one of the ACC's best coaches go in George Greer. It's pretty much gone downhill from there.

Really? Greer was here 12 years after Wellman was AD.

Katie Manning ♻ ‏@katiemmanning 5h
Bored and missing everyone ��

Was she on the plane too?

That's the diff between a wife whose husband has millions in the bank and a wife who is on a tight budget.

Louisville brings the ACC to 15 teams next season. I would guess the ACC averages 6 teams a yr in the tourney...For the foreseeable future you gotta assume with current coaches etc. four of those spots will be filled by UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville and now Virginia to an extent.

That leaves 2 tournament spots for 10 teams. Assume Danny Manning comes to Wake, things go ok and he pans out to be a "Decent/not as bad as Bz" coach as we all hope. How many tournament appearances should we expect in the next decade? Over under 3?

How does Ron square this with all the culture stuff?
Believed to have been among additional Manning-TU discussion topics were salary increases for assistant coaches and academic reform.

The academic issue centers on recruiting and sustaining eligibility. If Manning and Hurricane football coach Bill Blankenship are expected to compete for championships in the American Athletic Conference, there is the question whether TU – without compromising its status as an elite academic institution – would be willing to make adjustments in standards for football and basketball.

The result could be a deeper pool of athletes from which Manning and Blankenship could recruit, thereby placing Hurricane teams in a position to compete with better numbers of difference-making athletes.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/mensbasketball/being-courted-by-wake-forest-tu-coach-danny-manning-meets/article_a22de8b2-b9cd-11e3-a19c-001a4bcf6878.html
I know there are a lot of people on here who supported Ron and the stance he took regarding Dino's players and academics. How do you folks feel about the above?

Louisville brings the ACC to 15 teams next season. I would guess the ACC averages 6 teams a yr in the tourney...For the foreseeable future you gotta assume with current coaches etc. four of those spots will be filled by UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville and now Virginia to an extent.

That leaves 2 tournament spots for 10 teams. Assume Danny Manning comes to Wake, things go ok and he pans out to be a "Decent/not as bad as Bz" coach as we all hope. How many tournament appearances should we expect in the next decade? Over under 3?

6 teams in the tournament would be a very bad year for the ACC once Louisville joins. It was a down year this season, without them, and we still managed that many. I would bet we average 8 teams over the next decade.

How does Ron square this with all the culture stuff?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/mensbasketball/being-courted-by-wake-forest-tu-coach-danny-manning-meets/article_a22de8b2-b9cd-11e3-a19c-001a4bcf6878.html
I know there are a lot of people on here who supported Ron and the stance he took regarding Dino's players and academics. How do you folks feel about the above?

Another question (for the Buzz Williams haders) - 2 of Manning's 4 players in his 2013 class were JuCo transfers - how do y'all feel about that?

If the standards at an "elite academic institution" like Tulsa are making it hard for Manning to recruit, fuuuuuuuck!

Tulsa
Average SAT score (2013 freshman class)

Top ten percent of high school class (2013 freshman class)
74 percent

If DM visits our campus and leaves without accepting the job either he is an idiot, Wellman is incompetent, or both. I don't think we should let him go back to freaking Tulsa and use our offer to see what he can get from them to stay. Either he wants to step onto a real campus and into a real conference or he doesn't. If he doesn't, fuck him and the turboprop he rode in on.

Because he fired a winning coach that wouldn't agree to self-hamstring himself and the program to meet RW's imposed "culture" standards and then conducted a 4 year whisper/blackball campaign against that same coach in order to prop up an incredible loser whose dick Wellman was still sucking at the resignation press conference even though that loser coach is leaving a dumpster fire for the next coach to extinguish.

Does none of this ring a bell with you?

Nope. As I recall, Dino was handed a loaded team with stud recruits coming in and grossly underperformed, and left us with one of the worst teams in ACC history.

For the 800th time, if Dino was so great, WHY DOES HE STILL NOT HAVE A COACHING JOB?!?!? Answer: because all AD's in this country know Dino is not head coach material.

Back