• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

My buddy says he would be shocked if it was Marquette. He said Shaka is super loyal to his assistants, and a big reason why he didn't go to UCLA was that all of the assistants are east coast guys, so he would likely have to jettison one or two to get west coast recruiting traction. In addition to the other seemingly weaker aspect of Marquette, he was thinking that he would still have to let an assistant or two go. Who knows what is going to happen, but it is more food for thought.

Interesting stuff Leyritz. What's scary is the fact that we may be in the running for Smart only for Wellman to fuck it up by making "accepting Childress as an assistant" a non-negotiable part of the deal. Clean house Ron. Gotta hit the restart button!!

I don't even want to think of a world where we had to pay [Redacted] to resign

Think of a world where [Redacted] gets paid $1.4 million per year to coach. And allegedly they had a donor pay his $500,000 buyout with Colorado. I wonder how stupid that guy feels. Anyway, are people saying we could afford $1.4 million per year for Bz no problem but not $3 million for an elite coach? That seems crazy to me. We saw how attendance plummeted under [Redacted] (despite the rosy attendance numbers). Imagine attendance if we were good and had a dynamic coach like Shaka.

On of my buddies knows Shaka and is really tight with someone in Shaka's inner circle, texts with him daily, etc. I had him ask for me today what was going on, and he said he has just gotten complete silence back. Not even a "can't talk about it" response. He said any other day dude texts him back in like 5 minutes, so something is definitely up.

My buddy says he would be shocked if it was Marquette. He said Shaka is super loyal to his assistants, and a big reason why he didn't go to UCLA was that all of the assistants are east coast guys, so he would likely have to jettison one or two to get west coast recruiting traction. In addition to the other seemingly weaker aspect of Marquette, he was thinking that he would still have to let an assistant or two go. Who knows what is going to happen, but it is more food for thought.

#speculation : Silence in this situation tells me he's gone and Marquette simply makes no sense.

Being top 10 in coaches salary today means nothing....in 3 years its likely be more aligned since the salaries will be driven up considerably. Isn't that essentially what happened with paying Grobe a lot and other catching up real quick?

This is fun.

Ryan Nobles ‏@ryanobles 5m
Just talked to @pipspicks at @Fox6Now in Milwaukee. His sources are confident that #ShakaSmart is on the verge of becoming HC at Marquette.

Ryan Nobles ‏@ryanobles 4m
Should preface @Fox6Now report.. neither school has independently confirmed #ShakaSmart to Marquette story. We continue to ask.

@ryanobles: Marquette beat writer at Milwaukee JS (@MichaelHuntMJS) reports that deal for #ShakaSmart to MU not done: https://t.co/NH9kuAPHU2

New Goodman article says they can pay him 3MM+. It's not crazy if it happens. If Wellman lands him, there will be lots of crow to eat.

#speculation : Silence in this situation tells me he's gone and Marquette simply makes no sense.

My boy did caution me not to go that far and read that the silence means he is gone. He said Shaka is extremely deliberate and will think through the options (and may close ranks while doing so), but that he does like where he is at and would likely go back to VCU's AD before making a move. He said they are definitely considering something, but will look at all angles before making a decision.

That said, he does agree that Marquette makes no sense. Yeah he is from Wisconsin, but he said he has never known Shaka to be the type opining for the homeplace of his youth.

New Goodman article says they can pay him 3MM+. It's not crazy if it happens. If Wellman lands him, there will be lots of crow to eat.
If Wellman somehow landed Shaka, I would completely forgive him for the last 4 years, instantly.

For sure, but if Marquette lands him, Wellman might as well pen his resignation letter.

Michael Jennings ‏@DemanDeac 2m
Chris Mack going to Wake makes no sense at all for many reasons

DEMAN

Back