• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I'm jaded.

"Dan, look... Shaka turned us down and the Wake community will go on meltdown if they find out. So I'd like you to write a column saying, subtly, that some folks don't think Shaka was a home run. This will lessen the blow. Do this for me, and I'll leak the actual hire when we get that far down the list..."

Yep. I have no idea how anybody believe Shaka isn't a home run. I guess if somebody told them he hasn't won a tournament game in 4 years, they could believe that.

Doubling down and raising expectations is just a perplexing strategy unless they've got good vibes from Marshall or Wright.

Does. Not. Compute.
pHPvJ.gif

"Just yesterday it occurred to me what a special place Wake really is. I was standing there at the wall watching spring football practice with a flock of my wall-bird buddies, and we were all gathered around Randolph Childress and Alphonso Smith, two of the school's favorite all-time sons. And while we were there, another of the all-time greats, Michael Campanaro, passed by to say hello. There's an intimacy at Wake that few other schools who compete in major-college sports can match. Yes it's small, but what does small have to be less than?"

Guess I should be linking Dan's MTOW to the thread started by PhDeac! Good vibes all around!

You don't have to be a genius to read between the lines of that article. Wellman is trying to land Obama.

"There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling. Personally, I think Shaka would be a home run, even if others see it only as a sharp double off the wall."

Dan took out the sentence saying that Shaka hadn't won a tournament game in 4 years.
Didn't VCU win a game in last year's tournament or did I make that up?

I'd prefer Smart to Wright but not by a whole lot.

Wright is the only name out there that I might actually put above Shaka. Just a little bit more of a sure thing, I think. But in terms of excitement, no one tops Shaka.

But even for the OWGs there are only a handful of names they could think are bigger than Shaka... Howland, Marshall, Wright.

Doesn't the 8 man class thing just kind of work itself in these kinds of situations?

There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling.

Only realistic ones that could be argued better are Marshall and Wright. What the what?

I'd prefer Smart to Wright but not by a whole lot.

Sure. And I could see someone preferring Wright. I'm just trying to figure out if Shaka is a double, who could be a home run? He has a .749 record. His only first round exit was in an OT 5/12 game against a team that was getting a lot of good buzz going into the tournament.

Stevens isn't going anywhere . The Celtics backed up the money truck and years of security. Ainge loves him.

I'm jaded.

"Dan, look... Shaka turned us down and the Wake community will go on meltdown if they find out. So I'd like you to write a column saying, subtly, that some folks don't think Shaka was a home run. This will lessen the blow. Do this for me, and I'll leak the actual hire when we get that far down the list..."

I must jaded as well because I had the exact same thought.

Back