• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

This notion that if we don't get Shaka we will be cemented in the basement of the conference for a decade is nuts. He who shall not be named was a HORRIBLE hire. Horrible. It was obvious to most of us save RJ who waxed on about his NBA experience. He was old, had no NC ties, had plenty of time to accomplish things as a head coach and had failed, etc., etc. An obvious bad hire. This go round we will have good options who will not fit that mold.

That being said, SHAKA!!!

People weren't saying that. They said that if we make a high risk/high reward, then we could very well be cemented in the basement of the conference for a decade (that is the high risk part)

That Shaka = double off the wall leak really changed the narrative. AD is entering can't-win territory with all but half a dozen hires.

It leaked a narrative at the same time as saying we were "swinging for the fences." It was a mixed message that at the time was well received by this board.

This notion that if we don't get Shaka we will be cemented in the basement of the conference for a decade is nuts. He who shall not be named was a HORRIBLE hire. Horrible. It was obvious to most of us save RJ who waxed on about his NBA experience. He was old, had no NC ties, had plenty of time to accomplish things as a head coach and had failed, etc., etc. An obvious bad hire. This go round we will have good options who will not fit that mold.

That being said, SHAKA!!!

We had good options last go round when Wellman pulled that hire out of his ass.

That said, I agree that there are other good options that will give us a reason to be optimistic. Just fearful of what RW is going to do since he stuck to his misguided guns through the end of that miserable presser the other week.

It leaked a narrative at the same time as saying we were "swinging for the fences." It was a mixed message that at the time was well received by this board.

If we don't hire an elite coach, people will compare that person to Shaka for years, saying "this guy is a home run?!?!?"

That line came from a booster and now the Ath Dept, as well. I think it is important to remember that.

Also, in the comment section of that article, Dan Collins says he wishes he didn't include it because it was just one man's opinion and has now been taken to mean more than that.

It confirmed that Wake was willing to go for a big splash hire and spend the money to do it. That was a nice confirmation on an otherwise slow news day.

I was never very enamoured with the choices last search...and as the "who were the up and comers last time" thread shows, most did not pan out very well. There are a lot more solid choices this time for some reason.

That line came from a booster and now the Ath Dept, as well. I think it is important to remember that.

Also, in the comment section of that article, Dan Collins says he wishes he didn't include it because it was just one man's opinion and has now been taken to mean more than that.

Boosters get their info from the AD. Bad metaphor, but that's what people will remember.

In terms of ACTUAL meaningless information: Over in the Flight Tracking thread, we're up to 6 (six!) planes, all Deac-related, all in southeastern Florida this past weekend. Plus 2 charter flights making relatively unusual SE FL/W-S routes. I have no idea what that means, but it's gotta mean something, right?

That said, I agree that there are other good options that will give us a reason to be optimistic. Just fearful of what RW is going to do since he stuck to his misguided guns through the end of that miserable presser the other week.

how do you know they are still options?

#nuclearwinteriscoming

To be fair, I consider the basketball coach of my old high school a "good option" compared to he who shall not be named

BS on that. Of course he meant to use it. The 'Swing for the fences' phrase(also the title of the article) and Shaka's name are in back to back sentences. That one paragraph is the entire meat of his article. He's just trying to backtrack because he lit a fire that got out of control.

I mean its impossible to hire someone worse than [Redacted]

................right?

I know a lot of y'all are new here so let me explain to you: Moon is a troll who has made things up at every stage from us keeping Bz to today.

Back