• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Only way I'm getting on board with Manning is if he pulls Giles.

The Bloggersodear writers are trying to spin this in a positive light.

STOP.

He has not been hired yet. I refuse to talk myself into a terrible hire before it happens. Maybe Wellman had Manning as a backup plan but for him to drop the name and two days later hire him would be insanity.

Manning may or may not be a winning coach in the ACC. We need experience guys who have proven they can win in at least average conferences. Manning has not met either of those traits yet.

Uhhh, that's bad.

This is what we know about Danny Manning as a head coach (from the other thread):

Record: 21-13 in 2013-2014
-Good: Tulsa went 4-1 against the upper half of their conference (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Middle Tennessee State) and won their conference tournament.
-Bad: They lost every game of substance outside of their conference: Wichita State by 23, Creighton by 10, TCU by 7 and 12, Green Bay by 12, Oklahoma by 10, Maryland by 11, and UCLA by 17
-Meh: #72 kenpom and finished fourth in a really weak Conference USA.

also was 17-16 in 2012-2013, but he was coaching someone else's team and that team sucked. Beat TCU and Houston (twice), but lost to everyone else and by a lot.

Recruiting:
Overall: 6 players (1 consensus 3-star, 1 mixed 3-star, 1 mixed 2-star, and 3 UR across the board)
Good: Mitchell Wilbekin (3-star Scout, 3-star Rivals, 2-star ESPN)
Solid: Micah Littlejohn (UR Scout, 3-star Rivals, UR ESPN)

ETA: Sorry iat - I had to...

It's an example of kenpom stupidity to say they were the 4th best team in CUSA. They only were co regular season champs and won the tournament.

Wellman will meet with everyone in "North Texas" and we'll have a guy by next tues or weds.

It has to be asked: is the Wake job even of interest for good coaches after this four year dark ages? If we are this far down the list then we've been shot down by guys that would have lept at the job in the mid-2000s.

everyone is freaking out about Manning but honestly the question we shoudl be asking is CAN MANNING RECRUIT and more importantly, can he recruit top level talent to Wake??......

Manning certainly has been around some great coaches for a number of years, so I have to believe that he understands how to recruit big-time talent .....has done a nice job at Tulsa in a short amount of time....forget Xs and Os, you hire a good assistant for that, again the key for me CAN HE RECRUIT top talent to Wake?

He certainly has an impressive resume both from his playing days as well as his rise the the college ranks.......

he isn't my #1 choice but i can get on board

I'm here after two beers tonight

Uhhh, that's bad.

I'm trying to be positive. #goodvibes #moxy #swagger all that... You're right, though.

Another piece of the puzzle: I just went back and checked out how players have improved under Manning.

One guy (Woodard) showed some good year one to two improvement and another showed some baby steps, but most of the other sophomores took a step back (including their best "prospect" D'Andre Wright).

I'm into Manning's upside for a test drive at a lower high major (i.e. USF) or good mid-major (i.e. A-10) level program, but for Wake Forest and a Wake Forest that has four years of [he who shall not be named] under its belt: #welp

It's not that bad anyway from a kenpom standpoint I don't think. How is #72 historically from them? In a 2nd year that can't be bad. [Redacted] would cream his pants for that KP rank.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I just found out that Chris Mack was in Indianapolis this weekend to watch Trevon Bluiett play and he most likely has a meeting with Wellman.

Only way I'm getting on board with Manning is if he pulls Giles.

I'm all on board with Manning to BC... To WFU would be disastrous after watching VT get Buzz and us courting Shaka not to mention purse strings not prevent a big name hire. Shaka, Few, Marshall, Miller, etc. So many other names we could toss 2.5-3 million at and land over Manning. No matter how cheap he would come for, it's not worth it at this time.

It has to be asked: is the Wake job even of interest for good coaches after this four year dark ages? If we are this far down the list then we've been shot down by guys that would have lept at the job in the mid-2000s.

Good question. Are we the delusional fan base? I sincerely hope not

The Bloggersodear writers are trying to spin this in a positive light.

STOP.

He has not been hired yet. I refuse to talk myself into a terrible hire before it happens. Maybe Wellman had Manning as a backup plan but for him to drop the name and two days later hire him would be insanity.

Manning may or may not be a winning coach in the ACC. We need experience guys who have proven they can win in at least average conferences. Manning has not met either of those traits yet.

Where is this happening?

It's an example of kenpom stupidity to say they were the 4th best team in CUSA. They only were co regular season champs and won the tournament.

Southern Miss 13-3 29-7
Louisiana Tech 13-3 29-8
Middle Tennessee 13-3 24-9
Tulsa 13-3 21-13
UTEP 12-4 23-11
Old Dominion 9-7 18-18
Tulane 8-8 17-17
UAB 7-9 18-13
Charlotte 7-9 17-14
Florida International 7-9 15-16
North Texas 6-10 16-16
East Carolina 5-11 17-17
Florida Atlantic 5-11 10-22
Marshall 4-12 11-22
UTSA 4-12 8-22
Rice 2-14 7-23

Looks like 4th best to me.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I just found out that Chris Mack was in Indianapolis this weekend to watch Trevon Bluiett play and he most likely has a meeting with Wellman.

Maybe the manning name was leaked to get us all riled up so we'd accept Chris Mack after wiffing on Shaka. I could see that.

Oh, please God, let there be somebody like Mack still in play. I will give credit to Wellman for this: three days ago, when it seemed like we were in the thick of it for Shaka, I would have been mildly disappointed with an Archie Miller or Chris Mack hire. Now I'm praying for one of those guys.

Have any of the top 25 college coaches been former NBA stars or even had NBA careers to speak of? Is Manning hungry to win? What drives him to coach? This is too early in his HC tenure to jump to Wake right now.

Back