• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

It's an example of kenpom stupidity to say they were the 4th best team in CUSA. They only were co regular season champs and won the tournament.

How is that kenpom stupidity? They were the 72nd best team in kenpom. What exactly are you disputing?

As to the latter: fine, even if you disregard the fact that they were fourth according to kenpom rank, it was a four way tie for first and they had the worst overall record of the four. Two of those teams were Middle Tennessee State and Southern Mississippi, who objectively suck, and Tulsa split their series with LTU. I don't think that rises above a meh, personally, but perhaps you do.

Maybe the manning name was leaked to get us all riled up so we'd accept Chris Mack after wiffing on Shaka. I could see that.

I could see Dumbass Wellma hiring Mack and feeding us, "Well Skip came from Xavier". F that. #settling

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Any Fucking Day Now Please

Also, this tweet/story by Goodman is nothing like his Bz scoop. He named Bz the leader in that article and said it was going down soon. Obviously a much different tone in the Manning one.

Southern Miss 13-3 29-7
Louisiana Tech 13-3 29-8
Middle Tennessee 13-3 24-9
Tulsa 13-3 21-13
UTEP 12-4 23-11
Old Dominion 9-7 18-18
Tulane 8-8 17-17
UAB 7-9 18-13
Charlotte 7-9 17-14
Florida International 7-9 15-16
North Texas 6-10 16-16
East Carolina 5-11 17-17
Florida Atlantic 5-11 10-22
Marshall 4-12 11-22
UTSA 4-12 8-22
Rice 2-14 7-23

Looks like 4th best to me.

Coffee is for closers.

I bet EVERYONE would get equal and fair playing time. You know, "the Wake Forest way".

No, like Bz, Wellman too would fail to play the benchwarmers in big wins or big losses. (Well, there would only be big losses.)

Southern Miss 13-3 29-7
Louisiana Tech 13-3 29-8
Middle Tennessee 13-3 24-9
Tulsa 13-3 21-13
UTEP 12-4 23-11
Old Dominion 9-7 18-18
Tulane 8-8 17-17
UAB 7-9 18-13
Charlotte 7-9 17-14
Florida International 7-9 15-16
North Texas 6-10 16-16
East Carolina 5-11 17-17
Florida Atlantic 5-11 10-22
Marshall 4-12 11-22
UTSA 4-12 8-22
Rice 2-14 7-23

Looks like 4th best to me.

OG Boards. Where #semantics happen.

I'm trying to be positive. #goodvibes #moxy #swagger all that... You're right, though.

Another piece of the puzzle: I just went back and checked out how players have improved under Manning.

One guy (Woodard) showed some good year one to two improvement and another showed some baby steps, but most of the other sophomores took a step back (including their best "prospect" D'Andre Wright).

I'm into Manning's upside for a test drive at a lower high major (i.e. USF) or good mid-major (i.e. A-10) level program, but for Wake Forest and a Wake Forest that has four years of [he who shall not be named] under its belt: #welp

I am confused. Only one guy showed real improvement while others didn't show much or got worse? Yet they went from 17-16(8-8) to 21-13(13-3) and the NCAA tournament? Not saying you are wrong but I am skeptical.

Last edited:
One stupid ESPN article turned the coaching search thread into a Danny Manning debate thread. Unbelievable.

If this is how Wake plans to make a big push for donations, I'd say it's pretty fucked.

How is that kenpom stupidity? They were the 72nd best team in kenpom. What exactly are you disputing?

As to the latter: fine, even if you disregard the fact that they were fourth according to kenpom rank, it was a four way tie for first and they had the worst overall record of the four. Two of those teams were Middle Tennessee State and Southern Mississippi, who objectively suck, and Tulsa split their series with LTU. I don't think that rises above a meh, personally, but perhaps you do.

Those 4 teams played in what turned out to be a 4 team tournament at the end of the year, and Tulsa won that tournament. So Mike White and La Tech can take their "best team according to kenpom" title to the NIT while Tulsa took home the hardware.

Tulsa struggled early in the year, At the end of the year, they were the best team in the CUSA. They have the hardware to prove it.

Back