• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Before I even type this, I know people are going to say 1) there's that LOWF attitude and 2) you never post, who are you to comment. But here goes anyway:

While I too would love Shaka or Marshall, there is nothing in Wake Forest's past that should get people TRULY optimistic over making such a hire.

For those of you too young to remember, me not included, there was a similar attitude at the time of Bob Staak's departure (I had the privilege of watching that shit show while at Wake) - minus the energy of the internet and fan boards. At that time, the Shaka/Marshall dream equivalent was Gary Williams - it didn't end well - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...jYdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uaUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6862,6050112 - this article makes it sound nice, the bottom line was he made it pretty clear Wake was beneath him and sure enough 8 months later he had no problem dealing with the "pressure" that came with getting the Ohio State job - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...gMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yaYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5077,3515551. BTW, for $75K per year.

In contrast we ended up with Dave Odom, a guy who had most recently been an ass't at UVA for 7 years and before that head coach at ECU, of all places, for 3 years, the last 2 of which ended with losing records. Odom delivered some very good years - and I know, he had Duncan, Childress, and Rogers, but any coach we hire should recruit better than Bzz.

Eventually Odom left and we got Skip. Great in many ways, but his last 3 years at Xavier were an NCAA first round exit and two NIT appearances - not exactly an "on fire" candidate. That too worked out rather well.

Wake simply is not, as much as some want to think otherwise, Kentucky, Duke, Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Syracuse, Louisville, or Michigan St. We're not the dream school of the hottest candidate out there.

So we can debate all night about Shaka/Marshall, but the more likely scenario is Mack or Manning or White - despite statements by our AD or whomever about "swinging for the fences". And, the odds are any of these three will work out just fine - like Skip and Odom did - our last hire was just incredibly poor in all respects, from Day 1 and we need to move on. Personally I'd like Mack - eight 4-star recruits in the last 4 years going up against some tough competition in the Midwest - Crean, Matta, Izzo etc etc. And, 4 NCAA appearances in 5 years, including two Sweet Sixteen's both times including upsets of higher ranked teams (something Wake has never been good at)

This is true which is why we were so excited about the prospect of spending big money on a consensus home run hire. We want to create a new day in WFU hoops, not continue long standing patterns that you have described - we need a transformational hire but will we get it? If we hire Manning I will support him but it will seem like something less.

Has anyone pointed at that hoopla has been posting about a "category 5" and how a "storm is coming" all week, and Tulsa's mascot is the golden hurricanes?

The Czar of the Telestrator!

images

Nobody knows shit yet. People are just running from one third hand rumor to the next. We may end up with Shaka, or we could end up with some LOWF'er like Manning, but until I hear differently from someone with green lettering in their Avatar's name, we don't know shit.

Tim Miles: just above .500 with an NIT loss and four NCAA games in 19 years. I'd much rather have Manning, who has at least not yet proven himself mediocre.

Mediocre? In his second season at NEBRASKA, he got 4th in the Big Ten, beat Wisconsin in the Conference Tournament, and got them to the NCAAs. Every team he has ever coached has steadily improved. He has a higher ceiling than most here are giving him credit for.

Whoever lives in the fan in Richmond needs to get to the closest Qdoba ASAP!!!

Maybe the manning name was leaked to get us all riled up so we'd accept Chris Mack after wiffing on Shaka. I could see that.

it's working on me

would feel much better about Mack, I checked his past few classes & he's already recruiting at an ACC level.....not only getting quality players but getting them away from major conference schools (and many are in the competition's backyard). That leads me to believe that he would at least make us competitive again, his floor being this year's Clemson team. Having been @ WF previously would help him hit the ground running and restore the program to respectability quickly.

My concern is how well he coaches against teams with superior talent. That will occur more often @ WF than X.

Has anyone pointed at that hoopla has been posting about a "category 5" and how a "storm is coming" all week, and Tulsa's mascot is the golden hurricanes?

That'd be a fair point, except that dipshit hoopla said "category f5," which means nothing

Man, I miss the days when there was abounding optimism for Shaka. I is sad.

Yet somehow they improved over 100 places in kenpom, and won their conference regular season and tourney and went to the big dance.

Something just isn't adding up here.

Jesus Christ man. My point is that the dude hasn't done enough either coaching or recruiting to warrant a look and you're reverting back to your Lobo defense mode to prove he's either not as bad as it looks or is capable of coaching at Wake - I'm not sure which exactly but damn. Dudes team is not that great, dude hasn't recruited that well, and only two players on his team had better stats in year two than in year one.

Back