• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

What kind of car does Danny Manning drive?

godumb.gif

Why would a prospective bball coach not want Wellman? He's chair of the NCAAT committee, and he stuck way more than his neck out for 4 years with Buzz. Please explain.

Because he fired a winning coach that wouldn't agree to self-hamstring himself and the program to meet RW's imposed "culture" standards and then conducted a 4 year whisper/blackball campaign against that same coach in order to prop up an incredible loser whose dick Wellman was still sucking at the resignation press conference even though that loser coach is leaving a dumpster fire for the next coach to extinguish.

Does none of this ring a bell with you?

has manning won on the road? i don't have any clue whether he'll be a great coach, but he has been good so far.

we have bitched for three years. I'm up for no more bitching, at least until we learn something. This is not a disaster.

Interesting juxtaposition to compare [Redacted] ebay listings with Manning ebay listings. Wake may really consider this to be a big splash hire.

This is reality. Wake's job is not as good as many thought it was. Top 40? Sure. But let's not act like this was a top 15 job.

He was a college assistant for a major program that did very well, and he receives a lot of the credit for that success by those involved. He turned that assistant run at Kansas into a very nice first head coaching gig at Tulsa (where he overachieved in both seasons). I call that success, yes, even without having videotape of KU practices. I can't imagine anyone arguing that he wasn't successful in that KU gig. Based on what?

This is what bothers me: I get, see, and understand the risk of this hire. We're going on a very small sample size of actual head coaching experience, despite all the positive intangibles. This could go badly. Point conceded. But there is also a strong argument to be made, from his resume/background/makeup/whatever-term-you-like, that he's likely to be successful. One more tourney run next year, and he'd be looked at for every BCS job that opens up (beyond a select handful). I just don't get the extremely aggressive negative viewpoint that Manning is some crazy shot in the dark, when he profiles like and up-and-comer. I don't get why some here can't be like, "it's risky yeah, and I wanted another guy, but I could also see him as working out. He's done well so far."

I guess different strokes, and all that. I just happen to believe that this guy might be the one to get us back on track. Blast away.

When stated like this, it's kind of hard not to agree. It's a matter of perspective and position, though. At this point and given what has happened in our AD, I find it harder to accept the conclusion that his resume/background projects success. With another year or two of sustained success, a couple more recruiting classes under his belt, and a solid run in the AAC and I could be far more excited about this hire. Perhaps that's my issue.

THe other board has resorted to saying the "fanbase" has made the job toxic and is the primary reason why Hass left and Giles wont come.

LOWF sets in quick around there.

It is time to pull together,support Manning andpretend Wellman was never here. Only time will tell but look at the bright side it can not get worse.

THe other board has resorted to saying the "fanbase" has made the job toxic and is the primary reason why Hass left and Giles wont come.

Can we get a ruling from Irish as to whether this is an appropriate use of "lowf"? Thanks.

has manning won on the road? i don't have any clue whether he'll be a great coach, but he has been good so far.

we have bitched for three years. I'm up for no more bitching, at least until we learn something. This is not a "home run".

FIFY

moon isn't giving us a great name right now

Can we get a ruling from Irish as to whether this is an appropriate use of "lowf"? Thanks.

It's a tough one, but leaning toward no. A more detailed post of the connection being drawn could confirm one way or another. Regardless, the Scout board is more powderpuff and buffoonish than it is LOWF.

Back