• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

When did I say I was pumped? I do think he will "be a fine coach" and turn us around. That's not a definitive statement by any meaning of the word.

You're convinced he will be a fine coach for us. That's pretty definitive. I think he might be but see it as a very risky hire. There's just not enough there to say one way or the other IMO. Plenty of cause for concern though.

they were picked 4th. They finished 1st. That's pretty good in what was supposed to be their good season.

The only reason they were picked 4th is because they exceeded expectations in season 1.

This is my biggest concern.

If we wind up hiring Manning and he turns out to be another dud, that puts Wake in at least a 6 year basketball funk. That is hard to overcome for anybody, and especially Wake Forest.

Or we hire him and he gets a few 6 seeds and bolts for Texas

This academic restriction/constraint debate is very frustrating.

I think most would agree Wake Forest doesn't inflate grades. In fact most of the student body would say grades are depressed. I'm sure the athletes get a certain amount of leniency but if they think they have a shot at the NBA in a year or 2 i can see them not giving a shit and flirting with ineligibility pretty constantly in those 2 years. Football not as big of a problem because Wake usually isn't angling for extremely high end talent.

All I know is Wake basketball figured out how to be successful and not embarrassing academically before and they SHOULD be able to do it again. Other elite academic institutions have figured it out so really it shouldn't be a legitimate concern.

I still don't understand when the idea that Wake has such high academic standards for basketball and football players came about. I am not buying that we are so much more stringent than the Dukes and Stanfords of the world. I tutored for the athletic department my entire time at Wake. I'm not trying to throw people under the bus, but I doubt there was a single men's football or bball player who I tutored that could ever have gotten into Wake under a regular admissions process. They are also usually paired up with extremely supportive professors and given extensive help and tutoring. I don't find anything wrong with this, for the record. This was in the early 2000s. Is this just part of the culture bs or did standards actually change?

Think seriously about this paragraph:

During his time on staff at Kansas, Manning has been part of one NCAA national title, two Final Fours, five NCAA Elite Eight appearances, eight Big 12 regular season conference titles, five Big 12 tournament championships and 269 career victories. As an assistant coach from 2007-12, KU compiled an overall 164-24 mark for an .872 winning percentage. As an assistant coach in 2008 and player in 1988, Manning was on the floor for KU's last two national championships.

When have we had anyone associated with a .872 winning percentage over a 6 year period? That experience is invaluable.

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning?

The experience may be invaluable, but you have to see that enthusiasm for it is tempered by:
-the fact that he was an assistant there, not a HC. Big difference, and
-the fact that it's Kansas and Kansas has a ton of advantages over Wake.
So you can understand why people may question just how relevant that success is to the situation he now finds himself in.

I still don't understand when the idea that Wake has such high academic standards for basketball and football players came about. I am not buying that we are so much more stringent than the Dukes and Stanfords of the world. I tutored for the athletic department my entire time at Wake. I'm not trying to throw people under the bus, but I doubt there was a single men's football or bball player who I tutored that could ever have gotten into Wake under a regular admissions process. They are also usually paired up with extremely supportive professors and given extensive help and tutoring. I don't find anything wrong with this, for the record. This was in the early 2000s. Is this just part of the culture bs or did standards actually change?

This + 10,000

Danny Manning has been and will be successful with or without Wake Forest. No denying he is a big name. He does not need Wake Forest or any other school. The fact that he decides to join the Deacons should be celebrated. We have gone from deserving more than what we had to not deserving what we may have.

You're convinced he will be a fine coach for us. That's pretty definitive. I think he might be but see it as a very risky hire. There's just not enough there to say one way or the other IMO. Plenty of cause for concern though.

There is no doubt that he is a high risk, high reward hire. I THINK that he will be a fine coach for us.

What is this "deserving" shit? What does that even mean? Who says what we deserve and what we don't?
Also, awake is killing it tonight. She needs her own thread where she does nothing but speak truth to the uninformed masses.

This coming strictly from a donor (my pops) who has been speaking to others alike this evening. They feel that RW is dragging the schools face through the mud. Aren't happy with Manning's comments in the press. If he declines, my pops mentioned that there will be hell to pay, not for getting passed on, but the damage the athletic dept from a perception standpoint amongst the coaching world. He says the admins and group basically are giving the ok on Manning because they feel they will be able to control him. #Don'tMessWithPops

I don't understand this at all. Manning has spilled the beans on what was a very tight lipped search. He got them to bring him to campus without accepting an offer. He actually has his own money, so he's on more of an even footing with the big donors than most new coaches. He has no real allegiance to Wake and could get other jobs unlike Bz.

Same thing in fucking Cincinnati, OH. The conversation always starts with Skip and at least one instance of "I had no idea you guys were so bad."

I met a friend of a friend from grad school out in Charlotte tonight. My friend and I were talking about all the great basketball we watched back in the day and he was talking about Josh Howard and Chris Paul. My friend's friend asked, "What happened to Wake Forest? You don't hear much talk about them anymore. Are they still in the ACC?"

I think Danny manning violated a common rule of decency by telling the press we were interested. That was an aggressive move that limited our options. He comes in with a credibility gap in my eyes.

Completely agree.

At least if he is hired no one will be saying, "Who is that?"

I think causal fans under 30 may ask that question.

Think seriously about this paragraph:

When have we had anyone associated with a .872 winning percentage over a 6 year period? That experience is invaluable.

I'm sure Isiah Thomas had an amazing career at Indiana. And I know he had an awesome NBA career. Still ended up being a rotten college coach.

Danny Manning has been and will be successful with or without Wake Forest. No denying he is a big name. He does not need Wake Forest or any other school. The fact that he decides to join the Deacons should be celebrated. We have gone from deserving more than what we had to not deserving what we may have.

STFU. Seriously.

Also, this board has become almost comical.

Is Danny Manning as good as Shaka Smart? Of course not, and nobody here (or anywhere) thinks he is.

Ron Wellman has hurt this program a lot with the hiring of Jeff [name redacted]. He tried to make up for it this time by going after Shaka and a couple of other big names, but whiffed. I'm pretty sure that he failed to realize the extent of how much Wake fell over the past four years until now. He made his bed and he has to lay in it.

Manning will be a fine coach for us. In all likelihood he will stabilize us and bring in good talent.

Be mad at RW all you want because it is deserved, 10x over, but don't be mad at Danny Manning before he even sets foot on this campus. He can, and in my opinion will, help us get back to where we want and need to be.

What other big names did he go after? We know about Shaka. Reportedly Howland was interested in us. Did we ever even try to talk to him? How about Marshall? If you know, please feel free to let us know. But I suspect the problem is that Wellman is more interested in finding his kind of guy than really finding a winner. And that's why people are upset.

I think Danny manning violated a common rule of decency by telling the press we were interested. That was an aggressive move that limited our options. He comes in with a credibility gap in my eyes.

Completely agreed. He has acted like a douche and created an impression that he's a douche. He is going to need to overcome that now.

they were picked 4th. They finished 1st. That's pretty good in what was supposed to be their good season.

The only reason they were picked 4th is because they exceeded expectations in season 1.

They tied for 1st with three other teams. The other teams had better records than they did despite more difficult schedules. They finished 4th.

Keep in mind, Manning was below .500 2 months ago and had some bad losses, including at home to Oral Roberts. Yes, they went on a very nice run but look at their wins. Point out the marquee wins that will make the average college hoops fan sit up and take notice. Plenty of bad losses, no really good wins except that La Tech game. And this was supposedly his good season. I just don't see how people, including you, can be pumped for this guy and make definitive statements like "Manning will be a fine coach for us." We don't know. He might be. But there's nothing in his resume that allows you to make that comment with any kind of certainty. Look at this post from the Tulsa board:

That's the problem with hiring a guy who has been a head coach for all of two seasons, at a level below the ACC. We have no idea how to contextualize this run. Ronnie is spraying and praying on this one. Will it work? Maybe. However, as we now have no margin for error, this is a terribly incompetent approach.

I would agree, but given the obvious need for a "home run" hire, I think we are equally justified in anger at Wellman for failing to deliver that.

Sure, but there's also an obvious need to face and accept what the current market dictates the value of our job to be. May just be semantics, but I've accepted that we apparently struck out "swinging for the fences." I was never really confident that we'd get a short-list guy. I must admit that the long list was longer than expected, but if that's where we are, we have to accept it.

My anger for Wellman will forever be aimed at what got us this far down the long list. Forget forgiveness, I'll never not be very angry at Wellman for his lead role in getting us where we are. However, accepting where we are after the worst four year stretch in program history, I'm willing to support Manning if it happens. He's got an Everest-level challenge in front of him.

Interesting comparison per IC. One program coming off probation, another off an epic dumpster fire:

Phinal4
Recruit
3 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 9:26 PM
RE: WFU eyes Danny Manning

Well, since you asked, Ed Manning passed away a couple of years ago. I hope you feel good about yourself for almost posting about it.

And to the really astute people here and elsewhere wondering if Manning is ready to be Wake's coach...

His resume absolutely destroys Roy's resume in 1988 when KU gave him his chance. So let's not pretend Danny Manning is a basketball novice.

This is good for Wake.

Back