• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

UConn paying Kevin Ollie $1.2M and he only has two years of HC experience - BOTH IN HIS CURRENT POSITION! Read some of the articles on Ollie, his personality, coaching philosophy and it sounds similar to what you read about Manning. He has UConn in the Final Four in year two. Wouldn't expect Mannng to do that with our roster but if he brings the same passion, ethic, likeability as Ollie, I can give him a chance... And before you rip Ollie's Final Four saying he took over a loaded UConn roster - nope, he lost players to transfer before taking over because Calhoun left AND they were banished from the NCAAT due to APR issues.

Kevin Ollie was an internal hire. He was a known commodity and an alumnus. It's completely different.

Wellman is playing tic-tac-toe and all of you motherfuckers are just playing checkers.

Really Manning MUST be an outstanding recruiter early. The state of NC is loaded with talent the next two classes and we need to get some of those guys here. If he can't do it this is going to be a long, painful rebuild.

This just keeps getting worse. $2mil for a guy with 2 years experience? If the BOT doesn't get rid of Wellman, they all need to go as well. It's getting harder and harder to root for my school when the people running it are this effin' stupid.

I'll point out the obvious--2 million dollars is substantially more than 1.2 million dollars.

He was hired with ZERO HC experience to coach a team in a league that was imploding versus a league that is expanding and becoming far richer.

Who do you think would get paid more:

Person A- no HC, \2 years as an assistant - in a conference that has lost all of its marquee teams

Person B - 2 years HC, 1 NCAAT, 3 years in a Top 5 program, then 6 years as an assistant at a Top 5 program (including a NC) - playing in a league that has just gotten a huge increase in revenues.

If you were hiring, you'd pay B more too.

I've been on board for Howland the entire time. I give up on Wake. I'm just a simple fan who loves WF. I've never watched so many threads in all my life with hardly no one knowing nothing. Now, we're on the verge of hiring Danny Manning in his cronies and it's been nothing but broadcasted on every network in the midwest. Danny already has lost lots of class points to Clawson.. I guess we just can't do any better... Sad days, sad days..

No chance. Howland has burned too many bridges. Hell he even pissed of the people at Marquette who were trying to give him their job.

No chance. Howland has burned too many bridges. Hell he even pissed of the people at Marquette who were trying to give him their job.

I like it how rj just posts pure speculation as fact, then cites an article that contains nothing to back up his assertion.

Not seeing anything about Howland pissing anyone off. Link?

He wanted the job badly and they didn't want him.

Sorry that this is obvious people in the biz.

Howland is a TERRIBLE idea for Wake. He's only SLIGHTLY better than he who shall not be named.

UConn paying Kevin Ollie $1.2M and he only has two years of HC experience - BOTH IN HIS CURRENT POSITION! Read some of the articles on Ollie, his personality, coaching philosophy and it sounds similar to what you read about Manning. He has UConn in the Final Four in year two. Wouldn't expect Mannng to do that with our roster but if he brings the same passion, ethic, likeability as Ollie, I can give him a chance... And before you rip Ollie's Final Four saying he took over a loaded UConn roster - nope, he lost players to transfer before taking over because Calhoun left AND they were banished from the NCAAT due to APR issues.

UConn's Associate Head Coach has 17 years of head coaching experience at Connecticut College, Brown, and UPENN. I hope Manning will have someone as experienced as that on his staff.

Last edited:
He wanted the job badly and they didn't want him.

Sorry that this is obvious people in the biz.

Howland is a TERRIBLE idea for Wake. He's only SLIGHTLY better than he who shall not be named.

Cool, so you have no proof. Noted.

There's totally an argument to be made about the risk profile of Ben Howland. I disagree with it, but I get it. To claim that Ben Howland would be only slightly better than Buzz is certifiably stupid.

I mean it is pretty obvious that Howland is unwanted by every available position. We don't know the specifics, but seems to be giant red flag.

More giant than paying a guy $2 million a year with 2 years' experience as a HC at a crappy school in a crappy conference who essentially became a candidate after beating a fellow crappy school in the conference championship AND because nobody wanted our job? Who then played out the details of our negotiation process in the media?

Seems like a red flag to me.

Howland has something that is keeping him from getting hired. Maybe it's the SI article, maybe he is asking for too much, or something else. Who knows, but there is something there.

Howland has something that is keeping him from getting hired. Maybe it's the SI article, maybe he is asking for too much, or something else. Who knows, but there is something there.

Of course there is. Who cares? That's the question at this point.

I'll point out the obvious--2 million dollars is substantially more than 1.2 million dollars.

I got that but Ollie made $1.2 for ZERO experience. My guess is he renegotiates north of $2M as soon as the season is over. Unfortunately, basketball has become like football and all of the other sports. Coaches are getting WAY too much. Hell, Tulsa countered with $1.2M and its freekin' Tulsa.

Where are you guys getting the $2mil number? There has not even been an official announcement that he has been offered the job-much less salary info.

Back