• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

27 wins and 28 losses

After the La Tech loss they went on a winning streak and didn't lose another game till the NCAA tournament when UCLA beat them 76-59. These are the teams they beat on the winning streak:
Rice, East Carolina, Old Dominion, Florida Atlantic, FIU, UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Tulane, Middle TN, La Tech

Murder's Row right there!

If the glass is half full, Danny has a ton of upside, a big name, and should be able to accomplish on the recruiting trail in the ACC what he couldn't at a place like Tulsa.

If the glass is half empty, how the fuck does one parlay two years of mediocrity in a shitty conference into a $2M/year head coaching gig in the ACC?

This is insane.

BSF...you would do well to give the guy a chance. I realize you are not happy with where we are but we are where we are.

Jesus. This is a mess. I still think he would have to inform his team and the school personally if he was leaving. Are we giving him the weekend to consider? Great idea. Now he gets three days around coaches telling him what a crap job Wake is...

If this happens, I'll come around. However, in my book he is starting off with a lot to prove with the way he handled the press leaks. Just seems like he wasn't terribly gung-ho about being here and needed an absurd salary.

It is really scary that this guy can put an "@" symbol before someone's name and then contact them directly in a public space. The dude quite literally told the man who might be our next coach to fuck off. Ridiculous.

BSF...you would do well to give the guy a chance. I realize you are not happy with where we are but we are where we are.

People need to give this rah rah kumbaya bullshit a rest. Paying Danny Manning $2 million per year is fucking nuts. If you look at what he's done and think this is any way an acceptable hire you're crazy. If you're upset that I'm not gonna hold hands and sing the praises of DM put me on ignore.

Once it's official, I'm 100% in. This is on Ronnie, though. If there isn't some obvious progress in an acceptable time frame, however, he needs to go. He should go anyway, TBH.

Wait, are we seriously about to pay a coach with 38 career wins $2 million a year and who reportedly earned $500k this past season?

Perhaps dropped wife off, his Tulsa AD is in Dallas and he is going their to accept WF and tell his Tulsa boss so and then return to Tulsa tomorrow or Saturday to tell his team before returning to Dallas for F4 duties. It would make sense that he would tell his boss before telling his team. Just speculation - but then so is everything else on here.

We have a terrible brand. This is what it's going to take to get a coach with some potential. It's not Manning's fault that we're in the state we're in and hopefully he'll turn out well. Wellman and his people need to be gone asap though. We should have never fallen this far.

Another hypothetical question: If Tom Izzo had played in the NBA from 1977-1984 before becoming an assistant coach at MSU, would that have made him a better coach?

Back