• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Battle as interim would be a disaster. We have a reputation problem with coaches.

I'm just pissed that this job is viewed so terribly that it takes us offering him 2M/year and he still isn't convinced. We're an ACC school and he's at Tulsa. We have two top 50 players EVER in the NBA right now. We should be able to attract talent without bending over.

lol, the tulsa boards are talking about going after gregg marshall

Of a basketball budget of what?

Lower revenues. Check. Higher expenses. Check. More AD staff. Check. Inexperienced coach offered one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Maybe.

welcome to Ronald Wellman Business 101, please check your common sense at the door.

How do you know he's continuing on with Wake people?

If he leaves on the same plane he flew in with I would assume he's with Wake people. If he doesn't leave on that flight I think he's staying at Tulsa for good.

Any chance Wellman flew to Tulsa with DM and is now on his way to Dallas? Or was Ron already in North Texas?

People are all for taking a risk in bringing in a head coach with virtually no experience but are flipping out about the risk that Ben Howland comes in and tarnishes Wake's reputation. Which is riskier? Hoping that Danny Manning becomes a coach worthy of the top half in the ACC is MUCH RISKIER than bringing in a proven winner like Howland, who knows his reputation is in question, to an environment like Culture Club Wake Forest, and having him break the rules.

And you know what, worst case scenario if Howland does embarrass Wake Forest? We remain embarrassed. We're already embarrassed. Every other month there's a new crisis having longtime alumni question whether we've finally hit bottom.

Excellent point. +1

Any chance Wellman flew to Tulsa with DM and is now on his way to Dallas? Or was Ron already in North Texas?

All reports I've seen are that Wellman has been in Texas and wasn't in Winston for Manning's vist.

I loved the Jay Wright convos. I still can't get over $2 million for Danny Manning. It's just unreal. Only 2 years as a head coach. A career record of 38-29 (.567). The guy was under .500 2 months ago. The amount of money that win over La Tech is going to earn him is crazy.

So he is using our plane to go to the final four? Would we accommodate that if hadn't told us yes?

Let's just be patient guys. The plane wouldn't be delivering Danny to Dallas if this wasn't a lock

How do you know he's on the plane to Dallas? Further, if it were a lock, you'd expect him to tell his boss and players before heading to Dallas to spend the weekend with Wake folks.

Back