• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Sorry if this has been discussed but this thread moves too fast for me.

RW's close to the vest search is a thing of the past. The only person not talking is him.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

He played 15 years in the NBA. I imagine money is not as big a deal to him as other coaches.

He made roughly $58mm over his NBA career. Eh, rough estimate he took home say 40ish percent of that after taxes, agent fees, other professional fees, etc.. Yes I know that's just a ballpark, who knows what it is. That puts him around $20-25mm take home money from 88' - 03', just in NBA salary, not including endorsements, etc. Now it's been floated around that he's worth net about $7mm. To be honest that's not bad considering a ton of NBA players retire in the red after making a ton. But, it does say he might have lived it up the last decade more than the average Joe and probably isn't as well off as he would like to be. I doubt he would just give up an extra 500k bc he liked a place slightly better. Of course, money knows the true financial position of the man, nor should we judge, he has had a great career, but I was just hypothesising that he might care more about money then most might think.

And those $'S DID NOT include his lucrative Burger King status, God knows how many Whoppers he had to report on his 1040.. Could be in the millions.

RW's close to the vest search is a thing of the past. The only person not talking is him.

The speed of this thread is inversely proportional to the speed of the search.

He should have hired Howland in the first place. Since he's not, no way he hires him after this clusterfuck.

I just can't believe we offered Manning over $2 million to be our coach. He'd be one of the highest paid coaches in the country. The board needs to fire both Wellman and Hatch immediately for embarrassing this school.

You guys realize there is little to no chance that we are going to obtain a bigger hire if Manning turns us down, right? I fear the new candidate list that will be scraped together.

We confused silence with savvy.

I don't know why any of you trust Ron Wellman with your hard earned money. I get that Mit Shah needs somewhere to deposit his riches, but the rest of you... smh

I've thought about the idea of Danny Manning as our coach and I've managed to talk myself into the combination.
Main objective positive points

- 96.7 defensive efficiency rating
This KenPom defensive ranking puts the Golden Hurricane among the 40 most efficient defenses in the land. For perspective, that puts them in the same neighborhood as Michigan, Kansas and Wisconsin. (espn)

- Tulsa played well down the stretch won their conference tournament and demonstrated some end of season resilience and consistency even if the conference wasn't the greatest of talent.

- Assistant to Bill Self for years Kansas is the model of consistency and winning and Manning was there for a while paying his dues. In this sense he's a little more developed/further on career path then Wojo.

- A guard oriented offense in Tulsa with a guy who had a reputation for developing big men at Kansas. Ability to change approach ? This is a little more subjective but if he can really help big guys we have a lot of offensively limited forwards who need to develop their outside shot. The Morris twins always spread the floor so maybe Manning can signifcantly help in that area.

- Recruiting freedom/ System building- Manning showed at Tulsa he's willing to take chances on high talent juccos who bring instant talent.( those risk sometimes go bad which happens) Manning should have no problem being incredibly blunt with our bloated 8 man junior class. One would also hope he can convince Mitchell to keep his commitment. Depending on his ability to free up scholarships it'll be interesting to see what recruiting choices he makes which will show how much freedom and leeway he is given to mold the program in his image.

POSITIVITY ( He wasn't hight on my list, but its looking increasingly like a foregone conclusion)

You guys realize there is little to no chance that we are going to obtain a bigger hire if Manning turns us down, right? I fear the new candidate list that will be scraped together.

Yup, hopefully we get a nobody for a tiny price and we can redo this with another AD next year.

I just can't believe we offered Manning over $2 million to be our coach. He'd be one of the highest paid coaches in the country. The board needs to fire both Wellman and Hatch immediately for embarrassing this school.

My how we assume random tweets to be fact

I literally cannot fathom it. If he hired Howland literally everybody but like RJ would be happy, and dodgy Howland would get us back on track in no time.

I can't imagine he gets on that plane to Dallas with Wake officials without telling his team and school. When is it supposed to leave?

Raise tuition by $10k and give Shaka $5M. Nobody will notice that small of a tuition hike.

Back