• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

DeacAttack,

Any mention of any well-reputed NBA coach(es) during the search, sum1 who could provide the cachet of a big name on the recruiting trail, experience to quell the anxious fans and steadily guide us thru a transition period back towards, ahem, actual historical competitiveness?

I've heard that if Manning says no that VDN is high on the "tier 2" but its been dismissed as trolling. And TBH I'd take it. connection with cp3 and playoffs 3 outta 4 years.

You're incredibly stupid if you think we'd target a coaching prospect like Shaka and think we wouldn't get CP to make a call. He helps us recruit 2* SG's from Virgina

In fact I'd be willing to wager Wellman used all his cards, a CP3/Duncan call, and a "hey we have a black Maya too" awkward card, but Shaka ultimately realized that going to Wake, on average, would cost him close to 10 million dollars over his lifetime, so its not worth the risk.

Had to take a nap - did DeacAttack post / delete any Dino details? I'm inclined to believe whatever he 'knows' is overblown church-lady rumor bullshit (at best) but I'm curious if he made a case.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacAttack View Post
I know I don't have a lot of posts but I promise you that I'm very well in the know. Danny is going to be a hell of a coach. All the Nba personnel, Kansas personnel, and anybody who has delt with Danny are all in the same category. It is only a matter or time before he breaks out and does tremendous things with any program that he leads.

And I hear you. The rage-a-holics who drank themselves into a stupor hours ago are too high-spirited for me. Can't keep up. Just accept Manning. He's happening, regardless of what we think, a concept I know I would've raged at myself five, six years ago.

You know what - fuck it. I'm somewhat sober again and in. It's time to #ManUp

All of this bullshit aside, let's hope that our struggle in this coaching search will spell the end for Wellman and his AD cronies, and give Manning a chance to prove himself.

Last edited:
This. Also I do think anybody with half a brain knows Richmond vs. Winston is a toss-up.

I find it hilarious that people who have either been clamoring for #scoop on the coaching search for the last two weeks or waiting till the search was over to get #scoop are e-spitting in DeacAttack's face.

DeacAttack, feel free to PM me the details. Thanks, friend.

Yeah, this thread has taken on pretty poor form. Thanks for the heads up, DeacAttack. First real information in a long time and it's much appreciated either way.

The only person ruining this entire process, which could have been a happy ending for all, is Ron Wellman and his pathetic handling of this process. I know exactly who you are and your angle so you better fucking lighten up the sunshine talk.

Holy shit our fanbase is miserable. For as much shit as has been talked, names called, rage raged, etc. (I've been somewhere between Irish's youthful rage and #DenCity, I know) some of these posts are fucking pathetic.

This reminds me of when I first joined the Scout board. Odom was toast. Everyone was clamoring for Pelphrey or Few. I brought up Frank Johnson, and was immediately trashed.

RJ now claims that he brought up Skip. That probably happened before I joined.

When the Skip to Pittsburgh shit happened, I didn't believe a word of it, and manned the island of sanity. Pulled an all-nighter with very few posters, and we proved to be right, revisionist history from golf course architects notwithstanding.

Point is, nothing on this board means jackshit. It's all speculation, not unlike it used to be.

Last edited:
Seems like RW's stubborn pride might preclude him going back to the Prosser-Gaudio tree wrt Mack even if he felt like he was a worthy candidate. Although we still have Battle and LaRue so that theory is technically flawed.

Twill be interesting to see if DM keeps any of our asst. I'm thinking he lets them all intvw for one chair on bench. Get the best guy in his eyes for sum continuity with NC recruiting and current team member relations.

Would be interesting to see who he chose between Battle and Childress. I feel like Childress wiill be retained whether it be as an assistant coach or another position with the team

Wow, this thread took a sharp turn to negative town last night... You guys can be some real a-holes, haha

Holy shit our fanbase is miserable. For as much shit as has been talked, names called, rage raged, etc. (I've been somewhere between Irish's youthful rage and #DenCity, I know) some of these posts are fucking pathetic.

This

Another beautiful day here on the righteous anger board. Another day without Buzz.

I posted last night that I heard we moved from shaka to manning fairly quick and got slammed by one or two guys. To clarify I am quite disappointed by the manning route largely because it says that either our AD sucks or we are a much less attractive job than I thought. My point on it was that whatever vetting of other candidates that may or may not have happened resulted in us jumping to manning fairly quick. Same source said that the Howland holdup is because of "dirty recruiting" which I read to mean he recruits players that may not look like central casting wake kids lounging on the mag quad. So to be clear I am not happy with where the search is largely because this job now sucks because whoever comes in has a serious rebuilding job in a much tougher conference with an administration that have decided to act like asshats about "culture".

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Wellman Fiddles While Wake Burns

Decision coming this morning from D-MAN Deacon...according to WXII.

I can't believe "the decision" as it pertains to us is whether we can steal Tulsas head coach who is barely above .500 and for who we are outbidding Tulsa by 50 to 80 pct

Haha ur def a few yrs away from 3-day hangovers and u shld still be capable of a nice, steady 3-day bender! Im 40 and I can go okay for 2-3 days with lots of water and carbs mixed in, but the 3-day hangover does exist!

HA! Just wait. I'm 50-something (graduated in 82, do the math). A really good bender at this point can take a week to feel right .

I still have one good move to the hoop, I just don't rebound like I used to.

I posted last night that I heard we moved from shaka to manning fairly quick and got slammed by one or two guys. To clarify I am quite disappointed by the manning route largely because it says that either our AD sucks or we are a much less attractive job than I thought. My point on it was that whatever vetting of other candidates that may or may not have happened resulted in us jumping to manning fairly quick. Same source said that the Howland holdup is because of "dirty recruiting" which I read to mean he recruits players that may not look like central casting wake kids lounging on the mag quad. So to be clear I am not happy with where the search is largely because this job now sucks because whoever comes in has a serious rebuilding job in a much tougher conference with an administration that have decided to act like asshats about "culture".

I would think our AD would like everyone (including DM) to believe that he was high on our list, sort of like their intimating that [Redacted] was at or near the top of RW's list 4 years ago. It's a good story to believe.

Whatever, I hope DM says yes, that he wins the press conference and that we see great promise from him right out of the gate.

If he says no.....:couch:

Back