• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Bullshit. If proven winners like Howland and Mack didn't even get a look because of "culture" but Manning, the guy who demanded Tulsa weaken their academic standards to make it easier for him to recruit, who brought in a player accused of stealing laptops and rape (sound familiar), is given a pass when it comes to their "culture", it's total bullshit. Look at the PM palma posted- only five names on it. Maybe it's not accurate, but the fact we're stuck paying DM $2million leads me to believe there's some truth to it. We're making someone with only 2 years head coaching experience and a record of 38-29 one of the highest paid college coaches in the nation. That's nuts.

I don't mind not talking to Mack, apparently he and Wellman don't like each other. I also don't mind not talking to Howland, assuming he was deemed inappropriate. But Shaka wasn't the only home run hire. Marshall was as well, and there have been no allegations of any culture issues with him, as opposed to Howland, Mack and Manning. But it sounds like Wellman never picked up that phone. Also doesn't sound like we made much of a move, if any, for Archie Miller. Bypassing Marshall and Miller for Manning is just gross incompetence. I like Danny and hope he does well. Would have been happy with him had I heard we put the full court press on Shaka, Marshall and Miller 1st. But Wellman, Hatch and the BOT are just plain incompetent. I hope our fan base doesn't take out our frustrations on Manning. But I encourage others to show displeasure with your wallets.

Yup...and the culture warriors.

It is easy for someone who did not attend Wake (like myself) to poo poo the high academic standards for athletes. I actually think it is noble for a university to take a stand and say they will not lower their standards to the bottom to attract non-deserving students. Just look at what this has done to UNC's reputation as a place of higher learning. But if that is what you have decided to do you should probably not try to compete in major DI athletics. I know that Clawson has embraced the high standards and has (so far) done relatively well in recruiting. But he has yet to coach a game...yet to lose a game. I am as hopeful as anyone that he will be as successful as any coach ever but the road is rough and long and the university does not make it smoother or shorter.

unc's reputation as a place of higher learning has not been affected. i will bet you that its ranking/applications/etc are not affected one bit.

Michael White turned us down. What is so hard about this??

He said he needed more time. How the hell does a coach making less than $500,000 turn down a job that is now paying a coach with less of a resume than Mike White $2 million? You really think if White was offered 4 times his current salary he'd turn us down? How terrible is this job that the coach at La Tech is turning us down?

GOOD news this morning fellas. There is going to be a lot of buzz and recognition for the program this whole weekend at the Final Four

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 3m

Wake Forest has hired Tulsa coach Danny Manning, sources told ESPN. Story coming.

Welcome to Wake, Coach Manning!

Last edited:
We'll see how great he is when he can't bring in the same JuCos. You think Hatch will weaken the academic standards to make recruiting easier like Tulsa agreed to do?

For what it is worth, the problem with Juco's is not so much that our admissions standards are too high, it is that almost none of their credits will transfer over. That is why you don't really see many transfer into Wake (Athlete or otherwise.) While some classes will transfer, a lot of it doesn't. One of my buddies transferred in his junior year from a state school. He basically was back to being a sophomore again, because Wake accepted only about half of his credits from the prior school (and that guy is now in med school, so it's not like he was taking underwater basket weaving). So unless the registrar wants to completely overhaul the transfer system to make B-Ball recruiting easier (which isn't likely to happen), I don't think there is much we can to on the transfer/Juco front.

He said he needed more time. How the hell does a coach making less than $500,000 turn down a job that is now paying a coach with less of a resume than Mike White $2 million? You really think if White was offered 4 times his current salary he'd turn us down? How terrible is this job that the coach at La Tech is turning us down?

You are starting to get it

Savvy move. He is one year away from being a very hot commodity. Come to Wake with our current roster, struggle, bloom is off the rose. Coach 4 years then get the axe. Not good. Manning is different - independently wealthy, big name, still a couple of years away from being a hot commodity (assuming he continues to improve at Tulsa), and from the area.

I don't mind not talking to Mack, apparently he and Wellman don't like each other. I also don't mind not talking to Howland, assuming he was deemed inappropriate. But Shaka wasn't the only home run hire. Marshall was as well, and there have been no allegations of any culture issues with him, as opposed to Howland, Mack and Manning. But it sounds like Wellman never picked up that phone. Also doesn't sound like we made much of a move, if any, for Archie Miller. Bypassing Marshall and Miller for Manning is just gross incompetence. I like Danny and hope he does well. Would have been happy with him had I heard we put the full court press on Shaka, Marshall and Miller 1st. But Wellman, Hatch and the BOT are just plain incompetent. I hope our fan base doesn't take out our frustrations on Manning. But I encourage others to show displeasure with your wallets.

"Not liking" someone when your two or three years from retiring is not a credible reason for not aggressively pursuing someone who checks a lot of your boxes.

Wake Forest has hired Tulsa coach Danny Manning, sources told ESPN. Story coming.

Think this got lost in the shuffle. Despite the total cluster that this thing has been, he is our coach now I guess. Welcome to Wake Coach Manning!

unc's reputation as a place of higher learning has not been affected. i will bet you that its ranking/applications/etc are not affected one bit.

Those are not mutually exclusive. Their ranking and applications will likely not be affected but there is no doubt their reputation has already taken a hit and if this thing gets fully exposed and they get hit with serious sanctions it will be damaged more.

Welcome to Wake, Coach Manning!

Well, at least it's over. I'm just not as excited as I thought I'd be when this started.

Back