• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Kyle Filipowski assaulted a wake fan thread.

Love the doublespeak that is occurring about this - they say for years that they love how close all the kids are to the players and how they can sit courtside and actually affect the outcome of games, but also the fans sitting too close to the court is a safety hazard and they shouldn't be allows to celebrate the outcome of the games.

Love the doublespeak that is occurring about this - they say for years that they love how close all the kids are to the players and how they can sit courtside and actually affect the outcome of games, but also the fans sitting too close to the court is a safety hazard and they shouldn't be allows to celebrate the outcome of the games.
I always knew Cameron was a dump but didn't know it was a death trap for our players

Coach Scheyer needs to coach up his players on how to deal with court stormings, because they will happen no matter what anyone says.

Filipowski needed to stand still and plant his feet a second before the wave of humanity reached him--no different then taking a charge for which Duke players are famous.

Instead of doing that, he tried to take the charge by doing a weird spin move with his elbows out. Clearly that's a foul on him and Wake fans should have been awarded two shots. :)

oh god I'm already picturing a punch of lame Jon Snow vs the crowd memes from duke fans

Filipowski needed to stand still and plant his feet a second before the wave of humanity reached him--no different then taking a charge for which Duke players are famous.
Pretty sure he took a charge just as Duke players are trained to.

It would also be nice if someone in the media could report what we all know but the media is scared to report:

1) Everyone knew a court storming was happening, the game was over before the last inbounds, and Scheyer did not have his team prepared at all.
2) Flip intentionally meandered off the court like a big dumb lug.
3) Flip then intentionally stuck his leg out to trip the student and then pushed him, and may have incurred a small baby injury to his leg as a result.
4) Flip lied/was wrong when he said it was personal. It was not personal.
5) If/when Flip returns fully healed for their next game, it would be nice if the media would question whether he was actually injured at all or faked it/exaggerated for attention. Clarke clearly flopped - and I didn't see anything in the media point that out because of fear. But the evidence was right there before our eyes.
6) Court stormings have occurred regularly for at least half a century and there has been one serious injury. Injuries are incredibly rare.

Just pick like two of those, Conor, to start. Baby steps.
Don't forget his claim that he felt multiple hits to his body and his being told the video showed him being punched from behind. That is what he used for his justification that he felt it was personal/intentional.

Who was the college hoops analyst that was a jerk about Skip passing?

Listen the fans were probably on the court a little to fast, but also college basetball courts get stormed in the exact same fashion week in and week out over the course of the season. This was as typical a court storming as it gets in college basketball.

What is different here is Flip/Flop didn't make any effort to leave the court and initiated contact against a fan.
Over and over this!!! If anything, we have decades of evidence that court storming is actually safe. I know it "feeeeels" dangerous for a mob of college students to run on the floor with the players still out. However.
yeah is there such a thing as an "orderly" court storming where venue staff manages the flow? I've surely never seen one.
Back in my day there was. As folks were coming down security actually spoke to us in anticipation. It isn't like everyone is in their seat then immediately on the court. You know it is (likely) coming and students/fans start to plan their entry. Security should be a part of that. They asked us to wait and even directed where to go. Every one I was involved in felt organized and I was usually up front in the first few rows. I would think the issue would be the push from behind but I never felt unsafe despite so many behind me trying to get to the bottle neck. There is going to be some chaos but with communication and the right obstacles it will happen without issue most of the time. Even still, there will be an occasional issue. That is fucking life. Most things we do come with some risk. Again, years of data show court storming to be safe despite what people feel.

Duke is fighting for their seeding in the NCAAT, and Ryan Young is far too unathletic to play 40 minutes of basketball without fouling out and/or hurting himself

I can pretty much guarantee that Flip plays on Wednesday
There is too much time before the tournament but it would be hilarious if they had gotten the FSU treatment with a shitty seed because Flip Flop's health was in doubt, due to milking this beyond reality, and they aren't the same team without him.

Back