• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hellickson accepts QO, everyone else rejects.

I figured someone would throw 3/33 or something similar at Hellickson. Surprised he took the QO.

I thought he would have gotten more than that with what little talent is out there pitching-wise, but he's a Boras client, so guessing I'm wrong and/or he really likes Philly?

Neil Walker has accepted the Mets $17 million QO.

$17 million is more than Hellickson has made in his career to date. Maybe he wanted to take the safe money and hit free agency next year when the QO rules may be less punitive.

Matt Harrison is no longer the highest paid Phillie, so that's something.

Everyone talking about Chris Sale trade. Braves supposedly on top of the list - with the Red Sox and Cubs as other options. I don't think the Cubs give up what it would need to get him (Schwarber), but lots of smoke here, so sounds like there is a decent chance he is moved.

Everyone talking about Chris Sale trade. Braves supposedly on top of the list - with the Red Sox and Cubs as other options. I don't think the Cubs give up what it would need to get him (Schwarber), but lots of smoke here, so sounds like there is a decent chance he is moved.

The Washington Post reported that the Nats are sniffing around too.

I know the White Sox were interested in Jackie Bradley at the deadline, do you guys think Bradley and Eduardo Rodriguez is about right for Sale?

I know the White Sox were interested in Jackie Bradley at the deadline, do you guys think Bradley and Eduardo Rodriguez is about right for Sale?

lol not even close. Throw in Benintendi and Kopech and that might get it done.

lol not even close. Throw in Benintendi and Kopech and that might get it done.

Lol, Red Sox would hang up. No one would trade 3 above average major league regulars under team control, that aren't even arb eligible yet.

That would be almost 20 years of controllable players for 2 years of a pitcher.

Last edited:
In addition to the fact that Sale arguably has been the best pitcher in the AL last 5 years and is only 27, his contract is very team friendly. Sale is under contract for the next 3 years (including team options) for less than $13 million a year on average (by way of example, the D'Backs will pay Zach Greinke $100 million+ over the next 3 years; if Sale was on the open market, he would get more than Greinke). So, a team can acquire Sale and it won't keep them from signing other studs. Sale is the kind of player that immediately would make the Red Sox, Cubs or Nats the favorite for best record in baseball. As promising as prospects are, no prospect in the game carries the same likelihood of success.

For the White Sox to deal him, their trading partner is going to have to offer value to the point where it hurts.

Last edited:
In addition to the fact that Sale arguably has been the best pitcher in the AL last 5 years and is only 27, his contract is very team friendly. Sale is under contract for the next 3 years (including team options) for less than $13 million a year on average (by way of example, the D'Backs will pay Zach Greinke $100 million+ over the next 3 years; if Sale was on the open market, he would get more than Greinke). So, a team can acquire Sale and it won't keep them from signing other studs. Sale is the kind of player that immediately would make the Red Sox, Cubs or Nats the favorite for best record in baseball. As promising as prospects are, no prospect in the game carries the same likelihood of success.

For the White Sox to deal him, their trading partner is going to have to offer value to the point where it hurts.

Right, the speculation on what a Cubs offer would have to be is Schwarber, Soler, Eloy Jimenez plus a couple of other MLB-ready or close pieces.

If it stays that high, can't see him being moved unless someone like the Dodgers is cool with mortgaging all their assets.

i traded him for david wright in my dynasty league a few years ago. i needed a 3b, had scherzer and king felix, and was sure his arm was going to explode. #whoops

Looks like Rangers get Andrew Cashner on a 1/$10 - that seems like a steal. Cash's velocity was down last year, but he seems like a bounceback candidate. Was hoping the Cubs would get him back.

Looks like Rangers get Andrew Cashner on a 1/$10 - that seems like a steal. Cash's velocity was down last year, but he seems like a bounceback candidate. Was hoping the Cubs would get him back.

Best bet with him is to deploy him in long relief or consider him as a closer. Dude is hurt too much to count on for too many innings.

he's an oft-injured fb pitcher with a career era/fip/xfip right at league average. 1/10 seems about right to take a flyer or put him in the bullpen, but i'd be surprised if it ends up being a steal. it's 1 year and only money, so it can't hurt.

he's an oft-injured fb pitcher with a career era/fip/xfip right at league average. 1/10 seems about right to take a flyer or put him in the bullpen, but i'd be surprised if it ends up being a steal. it's 1 year and only money, so it can't hurt.

Valid, steal was probably the wrong word. I guess just less years than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back