• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if jean segura wasn't already a candidate to fall way back down to earth in 2017, he sure as shit is now

so if jean segura wasn't already a candidate to fall way back down to earth in 2017, he sure as shit is now

So I shouldn't be excited about the trade? Looks to be the makings of a solid middle infield with him and Cano, but I watch very little outside the Ms so know fuck all about Segura

only miggy cabs will have a higher AAV on his contract in all of baseball

So I shouldn't be excited about the trade? Looks to be the makings of a solid middle infield with him and Cano, but I watch very little outside the Ms so know fuck all about Segura

Naw, I think it was decent value for the M's. It's just that Segura's 2016 was wayyy out of line with the rest of his career (at least offensively), and there wasn't really much of a change in his underlying peripherals. And now he's going to Safeco. He gives y'all a really good infield, but I don't think it's realistic to expect much from him next year offensively.

I'm more excited about MY BOY vogelbach

I do wonder if the organization gave up on Tai too soon. Time will tell.

Segura is going from one of the better hitters' parks to one of the better pitchers' parks; so, his number will regress, but Segura is 26, and his best year can be explained by the fact that he is playing in his peak years (26 to 30). I saw him play a lot last year, and his approach at the plate is solid, really don't see last year as an aberration, but a sign of a player figuring out the game. Barring injury or off-the-field issues, he will be one of the better middle infielders in the game for the next 5 years.

You know what time it is motherfuckers! Merry Cespedes!

eu_cozinhando.gif

segura had a 105 wrc+ as a rookie a 22 yo his first full season, so let's not pretend like he's never been a good offensive ss. yes, he had 2 awful years at the plate in between but the tools are there. he also hit for way more power which probably has some luck and park effect, but his hard hit% was a career high. i'd expect his park adjusted stats to take a slight hit, but i bet he's closer to a LA hitter than significantly below.

So the Mariners are going to win the World Series in 2017. Got it. That's fun!

So it appears that the international draft is off the table and that a new CBA might be able to be completed. Issues to be resolved include luxury tax threshold and FA draft pick compensation among others.

As a fan (if I'm understanding correctly), I prefer the IFA hard cap to the draft but it sucks for the cream of the crop prospects.

Right, the speculation on what a Cubs offer would have to be is Schwarber, Soler, Eloy Jimenez plus a couple of other MLB-ready or close pieces.

If it stays that high, can't see him being moved unless someone like the Dodgers is cool with mortgaging all their assets.

That is a completely insane return for any team to pay for a pitcher.

Sox won't trade him to the Cubs and vice versa - too much scrutiny in the same town - IMO for both teams.

I bet the Nats go hard for him. I see the Nats, Stros and Yankees being the teams that really make moves designed to either win now (Nats and Stros) or position themselves a year or two down the road (Yankees). The Nats with Sale would have an insane rotation (a rotation that is already really good).

Naw, I think it was decent value for the M's. It's just that Segura's 2016 was wayyy out of line with the rest of his career (at least offensively), and there wasn't really much of a change in his underlying peripherals. And now he's going to Safeco. He gives y'all a really good infield, but I don't think it's realistic to expect much from him next year offensively.

I'm more excited about MY BOY vogelbach

Vogelbach is a solid. He's got serious pop, but he will strike out a TON.

Segura to me is a guy who is headed into his prime and will be really good for the next few years. Hard for any guy to replicate a year like he had last year, but he's good and will stay that way.

Cubs sign Jay. 1 year, $8MM. Sort of a wash defensively with Fowler - maybe a slight upgrade. Downgrade offensively from an OBP and power perspective, but a decent one year pickup if you aren't going to pony up on Fowler (who will want 4 years and is about to turn 32).

As a fan (if I'm understanding correctly), I prefer the IFA hard cap to the draft but it sucks for the cream of the crop prospects.
Hard cap of $5M per team seems really low. Even throwing out the Cubans, there have be about a handful of guys who have received that bonus themselves the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back