• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Murdaugh Family crime thread

I strongly seem to recall a media blip a few months before the trial that Maggie had moved out of the main house, had contacted a divorce lawyer, and right before the murder (maybe day of?), Maggie texted a friend and told her that Alex was frightening her, and he wanted to meet with her. And the friend texted back to not go see him alone. Far as I hear know, none of this made it into the trial, so I must clearly be confused on that. Would appreciate if somebody can set me straight on the Maggie/Alex relationship thing.
I'm sure guitardeac will be along with the scoop shortly. I think Maggie texted a sorority sister of his cousin or some shit.

My SC solicitor friend told me her whole office was expecting a hung jury. She was actually on a plane last night when the verdict was announced because she didn’t expect it to be for a couple more days.

Hard to believe anyone thought it would be a hung jury. The evidence was overwhelming. And as far as the jurors, everyone down there hates the Murdaugh family.

Hard to believe anyone thought it would be a hung jury. The evidence was overwhelming. And as far as the jurors, everyone down there hates the Murdaugh family.
Only reason I thought a possible hung jury is if the jurors regardless of the physical evidence just weren't buying the prosecution's "he was about to get nailed for financial crimes so he murdered his family to divert attention" argument. Obviously that must have been the right approach for the prosecution to take, but all along I thought the prosecution should have just said "the guy's a pathological lying drug addict, so who knows what caused him to either plan the thing out or snap on that night, but the facts show 100% he was there and he lied about it for over a year, and he's lying about it now".

The strategy to show he spent years "fooling" so many people with regards to pretty important things and to admonish the jurors to not let themselves be "fooled by him"...was an effective one.

The strategy to show he spent years "fooling" so many people with regards to pretty important things and to admonish the jurors to not let themselves be "fooled by him"...was an effective one.
"Don't Get Fooled Again" seems fitting here.

I have been following this Murdaugh thread here and there from the time it first popped up, but didn't get all the details. Just watched the Netflix 3 parter and JFC. It goes beyond good ol' boy power plays to just the family being fucking evil. No discipline or consequences early on probably for any of them (the grandfather's involvement suggests that), and the result was a family of people acting on their most primal instincts. For some reason, the settlement scam with the maid's death rubbed me wrong the most. Yeah, murder is obviously worse, but that's just rubbing somebody's face in the corpse.

Following the convictions, family of a hit and run victim are planning exhumation of body for second forensic autopsy.

Apparently somethings were learned in the course of the murder investigation.

IIRC, there were a few non-Murdaughs supposedly involved in the death of Smith. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them came forward and blabbed in exchange for immunity if the noose gets a bit tight.

Just finished reading the newly-released "Swamp Kings". In its 10 chapters, roughly one is about the boat accident and another the murders and trial. The rest of the book is about the history of the Murdaugh dynasty and the insular political/ judicial/social/racial/you-name-it culture of the area of the SC Low country. With so much already known about the boat accident,murders and trial, I liked that rather than plow over old ground the author really dug into what over generations made possible that whole mess down there. And I don't think the author intentionally made it is mission for the book to be a hit job on the family, even going out of his way a few times I thought to show they could be decent folk in certain situations, but damn, that's one 'effed up gene pool.

Back