• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Murdaugh Family crime thread

So this guy is going to testify in his own defense. That should be interesting. Guess he doesn’t really have much to lose at this point though.

The words “beyond a reasonable doubt” are going to play a big part in what happens in the jury room. The defense pounding that there is no physical evidence is going to allow some doubt to creep into the jury’s mind.

Just from reading about the trial, the dude seems guilty as F…and I speculate I’d vote guilty if on the jury.
But realize actually being in court and on the jury is quite a different thing.

Just from reading about the trial, the dude seems guilty as F…and I speculate I’d vote guilty if on the jury.
But realize actually being in court and on the jury is quite a different thing.
This is pretty much how I feel too. Real weakness in the prosecution case feels like them not finding the murder weapons.

"Newman is known as a tough sentencer, and just before excusing the jury, he informed them he agreed with their decision.

Minutes earlier, he denied the defense’s request for a mistrial, saying the “evidence of guilt is overwhelming.”

“The circumstantial evidence, direct evidence, all of the evidence pointed to one conclusion, and that’s the conclusion that you all reached,” Newman told the 12 jurors."

As a former prosecutor and criminal defense lawyer who paid moderate attention to the trial, I’m not surprised by the verdict at all. The evidence was overwhelming. I just told my wife I’m annoyed by Court TV people talking incessantly about a hung jury. The fact is juries almost never hang and are pretty rare. I’ve heard defense lawyers going into trials saying I hope I can get a hung jury. They always lose those cases. The evidence here wasn’t that close but it was interesting how people started to parrot the line “I think he did it but the jury may hang”. Nope. I was also fascinated by the judge telling the jury he agreed with them. Very interesting and not something I’ve seen in the way he did that. Murdaugh will never see the light of day.

As a former prosecutor and criminal defense lawyer who paid moderate attention to the trial, I’m not surprised by the verdict at all. The evidence was overwhelming. I just told my wife I’m annoyed by Court TV people talking incessantly about a hung jury. The fact is juries almost never hang and are pretty rare. I’ve heard defense lawyers going into trials saying I hope I can get a hung jury. They always lose those cases. The evidence here wasn’t that close but it was interesting how people started to parrot the line “I think he did it but the jury may hang”. Nope. I was also fascinated by the judge telling the jury he agreed with them. Very interesting and not something I’ve seen in the way he did that. Murdaugh will never see the light of day.
Very interesting — thanks for the perspective! I was curious about the judge’s comments as well.

We started the Netflix one last night. Guess we’ll do HBO next. Wonder if there’ll be follow up eps.

Life sentences.

The judge seems to be lecturing and pontificating more than necessary.

The HBO series somehow has the footage of the son’s boat hitting the bridge which ended up killing the young girl. Full speed, no attempt to slow down…also has surveillance video of them making booze stops along the way

I strongly seem to recall a media blip a few months before the trial that Maggie had moved out of the main house, had contacted a divorce lawyer, and right before the murder (maybe day of?), Maggie texted a friend and told her that Alex was frightening her, and he wanted to meet with her. And the friend texted back to not go see him alone. Far as I hear know, none of this made it into the trial, so I must clearly be confused on that. Would appreciate if somebody can set me straight on the Maggie/Alex relationship thing.

Seems like that would’ve made it into the trial, if true.

Only thing I remember reading about during the trial is she was at the beach with her sister and he asked her to come home and her sister encouraged her to go to him if he needed her (something about helping with his demented mother).

Back