• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Music City Bowl thread

Serious question Bud:
how would you compare Lobo's game plan and play calling with Billings'/Knorrs' defensive game plan and sets?

I think with the talent they had, they did OK. Gave up a couple of big plays, but also made some big plays. The offense only capitalized on one of the TOs. We actually go some pressure on the QB which was nice. Need to work on playing the option. Wilber did fine, but whoever was suppose to cover the pitch man was lacking. But nothing compared to the continued bone head moves Lobo made, time after time.

I think with the talent they had, they did OK. Gave up a couple of big plays, but also made some big plays. The offense only capitalized on one of the TOs. We actually go some pressure on the QB which was nice. Need to work on playing the option. Wilber did fine, but whoever was suppose to cover the pitch man was lacking. But nothing compared to the continued bone head moves Lobo made, time after time.

Sorry, but I just didn't see those "bonehead plays". More a factor of our OL getting beat on the corners, a few plays where the backs and receivers "danced" instead of driving for the extra yard, and Price & Givens having unusually poor nights. If either the offense or defense had executed a little better we win the game.

Our wide-outs do not block well which killed some important plays. Also, for some reason we do not use our tight-ends often or well...or our fullback for that matter. I understand having to use the short passing game; but there are so many more options than the ones we use over and over and over again.

Lobo didn't have much to work with tonight. The better team ended up controlling the line of scrimmage. They were ready for reverses, bubble screens and the short crossing routes. They dared us to throw it deep and won that battle.

Lobo even called a long pass play off the fake option that he must have been setting up all year and we could not get the pass off.

Our defense was doing it with mirrors. When we guessed wrong, they burned us with long runs.

Good effort, but poor execution. We played like we weren't ready and sometimes looked scared.

Can't be sure what was going on with Tanner. He looked so bad he could have been playing hurt.

Lobo didn't have much to work with tonight. The better team ended up controlling the line of scrimmage.

Exactly. You can't blame Lobo when our offensive line coach sucks out loud. It's just not fair.

Did we run a slant or an out this entire year? It seems to me that whenever we needed a short passing play we run the exact same play...and everyone who is reading this knows exactly what I am talking about....the 4 yard WR drag to either Givens or Camp. If I had to guess we ran that play 50% of our passing 3rd downs almost no matter the distance. I can't remember the last time I saw a double slant route, or a drag route with a button hook on the same side. Our playcalling is atrocious, and I am not even a football guy. I just look at the overheads on the replays and cry. The middle of the field 10-15 yards down the field was wide open, and we were running the 4 yard drag and 40 yard posts.

Exactly. You can't blame Lobo when our offensive line coach sucks out loud. It's just not fair.

It is one thing to complain about play calling Player development and a consistent offensive philosophy are different matters. We have large offensive linemen who cannot run block and are too slow to pass protect.

Whitlock's name was not called very often tonight unless I missed it. What happened there?

I didn't see him, but I'd be surprised. He never looks as angry as I feel.

I actually saw a lot of emotion from Grobe tonight... as compared to other times I have seen Grobe I mean. When Givens missed the early stop and go I was shocked to see Grobe kicking at the turff.

I actually saw a lot of emotion from Grobe tonight... as compared to other times I have seen Grobe I mean. When Givens missed the early stop and go I was shocked to see Grobe kicking at the turff.

Yep. There was at least one very visible F bomb.

True, that did surprise me as well. I thought it was a good omen. I was wrong.

I still don't get why Givens got to stay on the game.

I agree I saw more emotion from Grobe tonight than I can remember. I hope it doesn't mean anything, like him wanting to win so bad because he knew it was his last game at Wake.

Back