• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Music City Bowl thread

one or two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties might have silenced them. which would have been technically the correct call.

Watched the game with a member of the bowl committee. He said they had debated whether to prohibit the cowbells altogether but decided to allow them to acknowledge/respect the MSU tradition, but only so long as they were not used during gameplay consistent with the 'artificial noisemaker'/unsportsmanlike conduct rules. As a result, we had MSU fans who were rattling the damn things in our box - which to me defined obnoxious.

That said, based on what I saw/heard, a penalty could/should have been called at least once to get the point across. He agreed with me - but given the collective intelligence of the MSU faithful, I dunno if it would have been sufficiently understood. :tard:

Last couple of observations:

-While I met some perfectly pleasant MSU fans, there were many that displayed a complete lack of class - specifically those who started yelling "Go to hell Wake Forest" as my son and I walked in front of them on the sidelines in our Wake gear, and the horde of morons sitting in the north end zone next to the Wake section who kept chanting SEC and mocking our fans.

-We watched the team come off the field and cheered them as they were going thru the tunnel to the locker room. They were gutted. Jimmy Newman was great, saying thanks and giving my son a handshake. Pendergrass too - guy is a warrior. Tanner was visibly upset, and saw tears from more than a few guys - including Givens.

If I were LSU or Alabama, I would hand EVERY home fan an air-horn before the Miss State game and declare it "spirit of the game".

The fact it is allowed is beyond acceptable.

If I were LSU or Alabama, I would hand EVERY home fan an air-horn before the Miss State game and declare it "spirit of the game".

The fact it is allowed is beyond acceptable.

I am convinced that it did impact our line's ability to hear the snap and to get fire off the line.

I am convinced that it did impact our line's ability to hear the snap and to get fire off the line.

Perhaps. But the fact that only ONE team is allowed to get away with this horse shit and 99.99% of the others are not, is beyond acceptable.

Our band should have just played the entire time. Not really, because we understand sportsmanship and are not classless rednecks, but seems pretty pathetic by the bowl to allow the rules to be changed for "tradition".

To anybody who attended our practices, did we practice with speakers blaring cowbells? Seems like a good coaching move especially since they were specifically allowed.

Nikita was a beast tonight, particularly in the first half. Dude was everywhere. The cowbells didn't seem to take the ball towards him must in the second half, must be some reall swell learnin going on with Coach Mullens in the cowbell's locker room.

Our band should have just played the entire time. Not really, because we understand sportsmanship and are not classless rednecks, but seems pretty pathetic by the bowl to allow the rules to be changed for "tradition".

I don't know the rules well enough to have really pressed the guy I talked to about the decision to allow the bells, and when I say 'tradition' was the reason they were allowed, that is my word and not the committee member's - I had been enjoying the hospitality of the box and am paraphrasing the conversation. And again - this guy wasn't particularly pleased about it himself.

Just saw the Givens thread, and agree he played like shit, but the emotion I saw in the tunnel was real. Just wish it had translated into results on the field for one last game.

My thoughts. MSU looked much bigger, at least on TV. Wake was in the game till the end. Worst game in Price's WFU carrer. Overall WFU had a better season than I expected preseason. Thank you Deacs, I'm proud to support ya.

I don't know the rules well enough to have really pressed the guy I talked to about the decision to allow the bells, and when I say 'tradition' was the reason they were allowed, that is my word and not the committee member's - I had been enjoying the hospitality of the box and am paraphrasing the conversation. And again - this guy wasn't particularly pleased about it himself.

Just saw the Givens thread, and agree he played like shit, but the emotion I saw in the tunnel was real. Just wish it had translated into results on the field for one last game.

Well, ESPN made a big issue out of it and stated, more than once, it is CLEARLY against NCAA rules. Bowl or no bowl. It was complete bush-league.

Watched the game with a member of the bowl committee. He said they had debated whether to prohibit the cowbells altogether but decided to allow them to acknowledge/respect the MSU tradition, but only so long as they were not used during gameplay consistent with the 'artificial noisemaker'/unsportsmanlike conduct rules. As a result, we had MSU fans who were rattling the damn things in our box - which to me defined obnoxious.

That said, based on what I saw/heard, a penalty could/should have been called at least once to get the point across. He agreed with me - but given the collective intelligence of the MSU faithful, I dunno if it would have been sufficiently understood. :tard:

Last couple of observations:

-While I met some perfectly pleasant MSU fans, there were many that displayed a complete lack of class - specifically those who started yelling "Go to hell Wake Forest" as my son and I walked in front of them on the sidelines in our Wake gear, and the horde of morons sitting in the north end zone next to the Wake section who kept chanting SEC and mocking our fans.

-We watched the team come off the field and cheered them as they were going thru the tunnel to the locker room. They were gutted. Jimmy Newman was great, saying thanks and giving my son a handshake. Pendergrass too - guy is a warrior. Tanner was visibly upset, and saw tears from more than a few guys - including Givens.

He must have realized what tonight's performance did to his draft stock.

I was waiting for that ... Surprised it took as long as it did.

There is really no doubt that Givens was thinking about not getting hurt. When he turned his back to the ball and the defender on that dropped pass the only thoughts in his head were 'don't get killed because I can't go back to Wake, and an injury would mean I won't get drafted'.

Thanks for your comments on this thread.

Back