• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official November 8, 2016 Election Day Thread

Donald Trump (and Bernie Sanders to a lesser extent obviously) hit on a big pulse in America. Yes there are a lot of racists and nationalists in the group that voted for Trump. He made it easy for them to be there by not denouncing them and winking at them.

But beyond that, he also did a great job of tapping into folks who feel like they have been left behind by the past few administrations. That much is pretty clear. It's hard to separate the racists/nationalists from this group, but there are a lot of well-meaning voters (a lot uneducated) who bought what Trump is selling. He's a great salesman, and gave a great pitch.

Now it's time to see what somebody who has literally no political, foreign, or economic experience (as it pertains to politics) can do as the leader of the Free World. That alone is a scary thought, regardless of all the outlandish rhetoric he brought into this election.

If he fails, then we have a Vice President who wants to Defund PP, overturn Roe v. Wade, and believes in gay conversion therapy.

Not exactly a winning combination.

Well, we learned at least one thing from this election. There are a lot of spoiled & privileged WF millennial elitists on this board who don't have a clue as to what is going on out there with real people in the real world.

(Of course, it's not only millennials. Guys like RJ, DeacsPop & Wake&Bake proved that they don't have a clue, either.)

Bob was right the entire time. Way to stand your ground against the flood of safe space needing pussies.

I mean, they're not wrong

Donald Trump (and Bernie Sanders to a lesser extent obviously) hit on a big pulse in America. Yes there are a lot of racists and nationalists in the group that voted for Trump. He made it easy for them to be there by not denouncing them and winking at them.

But beyond that, he also did a great job of tapping into folks who feel like they have been left behind by the past few administrations. That much is pretty clear. It's hard to separate the racists/nationalists from this group, but there are a lot of well-meaning voters (a lot uneducated) who bought what Trump is selling. He's a great salesman, and gave a great pitch.

Now it's time to see what somebody who has literally no political, foreign, or economic experience (as it pertains to politics) can do as the leader of the Free World. That alone is a scary thought, regardless of all the outlandish rhetoric he brought into this election.

If he fails, then we have a Vice President who wants to Defund PP, overturn Roe v. Wade, and believes in gay conversion therapy.

Not exactly a winning combination.

It's not that hard, if you're willing to invest a modicum of effort. Guess who wasn't?

It's very easy to confuse victory with vindication (I know a local Republican Party who made that mistake...). The Dem coalition didn't have room for poor white people, so it kicked them out. It took finding a candidate who noticed that was unclaimed territory to bring them back in.

She was a dreadful candidate who just kept springing leaks. It was truly the death of 1,000 cuts, and try as they might her surrogates couldn't patch the holes fast enough. As bad as she was, the absence of her message was worse and proved to be her undoing.

Trump won not because he had the right answers, but because he had the right questions. You're not going to get turnout with the thrust of your message being "It's my turn, the other guy is raciost, and if you don't vote for me, you probably are too." I know that many will deny that was the message, but just watch the Facebook hand-wringing gold. Person A's sense of entitlement or Person B's raciosm is not a solution for Person's C problems (and thus, small incentive for Person C to go vote). We can call Person C a name if it makes us feel better, but promising to bring more Syrian refugees isn't going to lower Person C's health care premiums or grow the economy a fourth percentage point.

For all of his many faults, Trump counted the people who no longer counted to either major party. He spoke to the so-called deplorables and the lesson of 2016 is that the 2020 winner will also.

Do I think Trump will magically fix this? No, of course not. But if you want him to win again, keep blaming other people's alleged hatred for this loss, rather than a lack of credible solutions.

Great post, but judging by initial responses to it, I don't think the message has gotten through to them yet. And the reason for that is probably because these people are so much more intelligent and morally superior to those who disagree with them.

It's not that hard, if you're willing to invest a modicum of effort. Guess who wasn't?

I don't think it's as easy to do as you think it is. We will agree to disagree. Pointless now. I think Trump came on to a lot of people's radar with the Birther movement and the anti-immigration movement. We disagree on whether or not that is rooted in racism, and probably always will.

Some people came for the racism and stayed for the racism. Some people came for the message of a better America, and stayed for that. It's difficult to determine who did each.

I don't think it's as easy to do as you think it is. We will agree to disagree. Pointless now. I think Trump came on to a lot of people's radar with the Birther movement and the anti-immigration movement. We disagree on whether or not that is rooted in racism, and probably always will.

Some people came for the racism and stayed for the racism. Some people came for the message of a better America, and stayed for that. It's difficult to determine who did each.

Let's stipulate that 100% of the problem is other people's raciosm. And?

"morally superior"

So much this. I really believe that "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" were the straw that broke the camels back. The rural whites got up and gave a big "fuck you" to the ''elites" and their morally superior attitudes. Trump is an outsider who had to buy his way in to the elite crowd. The outsider status is how undeducated white america could relate to a billionare.

I didn't say that. I'm done with this conversation. Don't really want to derail another thread discussing this.

Clearly listening too much to people who disagree with you is the problem here.

"morally superior"

So much this. I really believe that "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" were the straw that broke the camels back. The rural whites got up and gave a big "fuck you" to the ''elites" and their morally superior attitudes. Trump is an outsider who had to buy his way in to the elite crowd. The outsider status is how undeducated white america could relate to a billionare.

Judgment day is coming

Bob and JHMD are pretty correct that labeling a group and its inclusion isn't an actual problem or an actual solution it just exists. The racist and nationalist got wrapped up in a group that feels neglected and left behind. Their inclusion does not take away from why that group feels left behind. In any group the loudest are the ones you use to identify the group, so here it's make American again because it's not white enough but that's just the loud people, the Reddit and twitter trolls and what you encounter on the internet that magnifies their perceived size.

The real problem is that for years a group of people have been taken advantage of, Republicans offered no solutions and Democrats offered solutions that didn't pan out as intended or just straight failed. Someone that has the outsider persona is able to tap that and those people finally feel like they won't be left behind. The problem for Trump is that those people have been left behind not because of policy but because of globalization and simply time.

His proposals so far will do little to aide them but he has a leash because they believe he will at least try. A heavy investment in infrastructure will go a long way towards helping that group of people, however trying to revert back to a pre-globalization America with factory jobs obtained through tariffs, trade wars, taxes, etc... will make things worse not better. Trump cares an awful lot about perception and his name so it's possible like most Trump things they have a good run but when he leaves you find out it was all smoke and mirrors.

For bkf purposes before he reams me for being a millennial stuck up pussy, I am 52 and own my own business.

I for one am somewhat worried we might be cruising towards another GWB second term meltdown where the economy takes a nosedive because no one wants to regulate shit.

08-17-2016, 08:55 PM
DeacWatcher

Again, where is bkf when needed. He said this was gonna be close due to hatred of HRC. Ha! This is gonna be a blowout for the ages. Screw you bob as well as bob2.

Well, for your sake, I hope your business acumen is sharper than your political acumen.

08-17-2016, 08:55 PM
DeacWatcher

Again, where is bkf when needed. He said this was gonna be close due to hatred of HRC. Ha! This is gonna be a blowout for the ages. Screw you bob as well as bob2.

Well, for your sake, I hope your business acumen is sharper than your political acumen.

Great! You said this election would be a referendum on Hillary and the Clinton Machine and all that jazz and you were right - the American people rejected her (in the appropriate states, I'm ignoring the popular vote here).

The problem is there was somebody else on the ballot. The question wasn't, "Do you want Hillary Clinton to be POTUS, check yes or no." It was, "Hillary or Trump?"

Now that he's won, where does our country go from here? Any additional Randleman rube insight to share with us spoiled elitist arrogant millennial whatever whatever whatever?

JHMD,
Good post above, I don't agree with anything about trump but frankly he was right all the way through, he found a way to connect with a segment of the public that felt left behind, left out, and not counted and brought them into his coalition and that did more than any party help ever did. We can only speculate how he will manage from here. Hopefully, he will realize he is the president for all not just a select few.

Great! You said this election would be a referendum on Hillary and the Clinton Machine and all that jazz and you were right - the American people rejected her (in the appropriate states, I'm ignoring the popular vote here).

The problem is there was somebody else on the ballot. The question wasn't, "Do you want Hillary Clinton to be POTUS, check yes or no." It was, "Hillary or Trump?"

Now that he's won, where does our country go from here? Any additional Randleman rube insight to share with us spoiled elitist arrogant millennial whatever whatever whatever?

At this point it should be obvious that nobody can tell your group anything. You already know it all.

Back