• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I had the top caddie rating back at OTCC when they had their caddie program. SMD haterzzzz

Had a good caddie when we played Kiawah a few years back. He was in college (I think maybe at Clemson) and basically did what you wanted LK - told us where not to hit it and the best place to try and land a shot. Would say "hit your 180 club" if the distance was tough to gauge based on elevation or anything.

Yeah, I've had one like that at Kiawah a different time. Loved it.

My least favorite caddie moment is when they try and talk you out of waiting to go for a par 5 in 2. I know they are trying to move people around quickly, but 270 out is not out of range for a lot of decent amateurs.

My caddie pet peeve is leaving my bag under some tree 150 yards away and I get to the tee with only a driver and one golf ball. I hardly ever hit driver regardless of the hole length. And I very often need a 2nd golf ball.

That can't be right. He's the architect of note on dozens of courses in California and Texas.

Still, I'm legit jealous you got to play out there.

This was what a Member said to me but you're right. Of the 89 Courses that Tillinghast originally designed, (not reconstructed, added to or consulted on) there a few in Houston (Ft. Sam Houston GC), Dallas (Brook Hollow), Tulsa (Tulsa GC), and Kansas (Swope Memorial) to name a few.

Either the guy doesn't know his geography or he meant west of the Rocky Mts or only one in Calif.....lol

Was playing Dunes Club today and got rained out right after the turn :/

Was wondering if anyone had a solid golf blog they follow that they love. My guy John Sabino who wrote "Playing the Top 100 Golf Courses in the World" is about done now that he played them all and I need a new one to follow. Sean and "Breaking Eighty" isn't cutting it for me. Thanks.

My least favorite caddie moment is when they try and talk you out of waiting to go for a par 5 in 2. I know they are trying to move people around quickly, but 270 out is not out of range for a lot of decent amateurs.

I've never encountered this particular problem :)

Yeah, I've had one like that at Kiawah a different time. Loved it.

I'd say less than 5% of amateurs possess the potential to reach a green 270 yards away off the deck, but maybe I just play with noobz

"Not to brag"

Started out the summer with the goal of finally breaking 80 and I have done it twice. Shot 76 last weekend with 5 birdies (can't ever remember having 3 in a round before this) and a 77 earlier this summer including an eagle on a par 4. Obviously these rounds have been awesome, for those better golfers out there is this my peak? I don't like the thought of having my best rounds ever behind me but I don't think I'll ever be a consistent 70's guy.

I have to torch it to get it 270 off the tee (insert dwarf jokes here). If I'm 270 out on a par five and there's no trouble, I'll go for it because inside 50 yards is probably the strongest part of my game. I also have no problem just going PW-PW or something to be on in regulation if it's a tough green.

Started out the summer with the goal of finally breaking 80 and I have done it twice. Shot 76 last weekend with 5 birdies (can't ever remember having 3 in a round before this) and a 77 earlier this summer including an eagle on a par 4. Obviously these rounds have been awesome, for those better golfers out there is this my peak? I don't like the thought of having my best rounds ever behind me but I don't think I'll ever be a consistent 70's guy.

Congrats: even at 65 I have not given up the dream of breaking 80 at least once in my life. Been striking the ball as well as I ever have but at a 13.9 handi and a flat stick that has just been awful the last 2 years it feels a long way off. All I can say is enjoy it; chances are if you're under 60 you can keep expecting those scores to go lower but unless you're playing 3x a week minimum, tough to stay there.

Last edited:
My best score is still a 76 that I had last summer. Have had 77 a couple of times this year and a bunch of 78s and 79s. I finally got my index under 8 recently--I'm sitting at 7.9 at the moment.

Got a match up question.

A 5 handicap and a 9 playing best ball vs. guys who shoot around 95 and 100 playing a scramble.

Is that fair? Who had the advantage? How many strokes advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone here played Erin Hills, site of next year's US Open?

Is it worth me driving 2+ hours from Chicago, plunking down almost $400 for the round+caddy+tip to play it, and driving 2+ hours back?

I'm going to Chicago on business and was considering it. I might be able to get my company to fly me into Milwaukee instead, then I could go play and would only have to drive down to Chicago instead of having to drive both ways (would then fly out of Chicago home).

I haven't played it. I have been to the course and walked around it. A friend played it two weeks ago and loved it. He liked it more than Whistling Straits. Are they really charging $400? Four years ago you could play it for $120. It might take you more than two hours to get there. The course is in a weird location and nowhere near the interstate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got a match up question.

A 5 handicap and a 9 playing best ball vs. guys who shoot around 95 and 100 playing a scramble.

Is that fair? Who had the advantage? How many strokes advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bet on the 5/9 best ball. I'd guess they are six strokes better.

Back