• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Thanks for all of your Scotland advice on this thread. You and timdunk were indirectly very helpful with the planning.

Sounds like you had an awesome trip. I still need to post some pics of my recent Scotland trip on this thread.

Haha, so your trip got a plug at the end in the amateur golf article about him after he was medalist last week.

http://www.amateurgolf.com/golf-tou...-of--11-at-U-S--Mid-Am-with-stroke-play-medal

Yeah we all got a good chuckle out of that one. Got him in shape to play a marathon week of golf. Don't be shocked when he wins this thing in the next couple years. He's as good or better than the other elite mid ams I've been fortunate enough to play with over the years.

Yeah we all got a good chuckle out of that one. Got him in shape to play a marathon week of golf. Don't be shocked when he wins this thing in the next couple years. He's as good or better than the other elite mid ams I've been fortunate enough to play with over the years.

Yeah, I didn't remember that he won the Byron Nelson award....said him and Trip Kuehne are the only two golf All-Americans in the last 20 years or so to pass on a pro career out of school.

Let's update the shape of a few local tracks.

I've been playing Oak Valley a lot lately. Greens are somewhere around average (#10 looks horrible, but the other 17 are in pretty good shape)... Their rough is the plushest/thickest I've played this fall. A ball will actually sit up in it... which is great for us hackers.

I played with a fairly competitive group there without rolling & from the backs. It is a hell of a course & an even better deal. The most I've paid is $32 and some days have gotten away for $19 (all riding 18). The staff is very welcoming.

The past few times I've been out, we've been rolling & lift/clean/placing everywhere, but it hasn't helped much at courses like Grandover and Maple Chase.

Maple Chase looks great but has some serious broccoli (there's a canopy above the stems of the grass) that makes it almost impossible to find a golf ball if you're not standing on top of it.

Grandover East, as always, is a gem. They lost a bridge on #5 so had to shut it down for a bit... But I think they were able to open it back up this week for the Bojangles tournament. Their rough is thick, but thin enough to find a ball in. Getting it out is a bit tougher.

Grandover West is still a solid 'OK'. As a non-walker, I'm actually really fond of the layout.

I wish they would price the two courses out there accordingly. I think, especially with their new Griffin Club program, pricing is fair for the East... But they could probably knock $25 off the west & disappoint far fewer people.

Those are the 4 I've been playing with some regularity in the past month. Any other public/semi-private tracks I should be checking out before the year ends?

I'm headed up to Primland in a couple of weeks. Anyone played the course there ?

I play 3-4 times a year. It’s a gem. Shot a 71 up there in August but the greens had just been punched so it was hit and hope on the greens and I guessed right more often than not. Keep it in the fairways and make your hay on the front. Back is a bear at spots. One of my favorite courses to play. Enjoy!

Yeah it's awesome up there. I hit it from one of the back tee boxes on the back 9 (can't remember the hole) off the mountain and counted it in the air for 12 seconds before it went out of site (still hadn't landed yet). Some unbelievable views. Just wish everything at that place wasn't so expensive.

One thing I did not plan well for the Scotland trip was tipping caddies. Only my dad wanted a caddy so I booked one caddy per course (anticipated a 25 pound tip per research) but the caddy ended up helping all of us with yardage and green reads. When we asked what a reasonable tip would be, we did not expect the response of 100 pounds. That drained our cash quickly.

Highly recommend a caddy for parts of a Scotland trip. I didn't use one at every course but did on the biggies like Muirfield, old, carnoustie. It's part of the experience. Don't spend a few thousand on a potential once in a lifetime trip to not really experience the course with a caddy.

Highly recommend a caddy for parts of a Scotland trip. I didn't use one at every course but did on the biggies like Muirfield, old, carnoustie. It's part of the experience. Don't spend a few thousand on a potential once in a lifetime trip to not really experience the course with a caddy.

Totally agree: booked caddies our entire trip in May. Besides being incredibly helpful, they were a total hoot. Had the same Caddy for all three of my rounds at Turnberry ((Doogie) and he had me in stitches each day. By no means cheap (about 100 pounds/round) they were worth every penny.

I had the most traumatic round of my life on Sunday at Maple Chase. Those are not the greens you want to lose confidence on. I lipped out on at least the last 5 holes. 13-17 were all power lips. Excruciating.

On the plus side, our buddy aced #2... a hole that I always butcher.

I had the most traumatic round of my life on Sunday at Maple Chase. Those are not the greens you want to lose confidence on. I lipped out on at least the last 5 holes. 13-17 were all power lips. Excruciating.

On the plus side, our buddy aced #2... a hole that I always butcher.

Are your buddies initials FP? I was out there on Sunday.

And yes, our greens are crazy fast right now.

Wife is sending me on a guys trip with 3 buddies to Sea Island for a weekend in February/March (March hopefully). I'm more willing to pay a lot for golf than they are for the most part, though I need to convince them to play Seaside, but does anyone have any other recs in the area (reasonably priced is good, but I'll look at anything)?

Food recs are appreciated too.

Wife is sending me on a guys trip with 3 buddies to Sea Island for a weekend in February/March (March hopefully). I'm more willing to pay a lot for golf than they are for the most part, though I need to convince them to play Seaside, but does anyone have any other recs in the area (reasonably priced is good, but I'll look at anything)?

Here is a food rec, and I believe I got it from this board before we went to St Simons Island a year plus ago ... Georgia Sea Grill. Had a really nice dinner there. I believe Southern Living named Southern Soul BBQ best bbq in the southeast. Not sure about that, but it does get good reviews. We drove past it a few times but never got a chance to give it a go. It's in a converted gas station on the northern edge of the little airport there.

Play the King and Prince Course (formally Hampton Poitm). Def the best value on the island. Southern Soul is a must. Lives up to the hype. For a nicer dinner, Halyards is outstanding.

Gearing up for my annual trip out to Streamsong over the holidays. Really looking forward to swinging the clubs again. Haven't played since early November and even then it was 40 degrees. Can't stress enough how fun this place is to play. We are doing the stay and play and all three courses.

black-course-2-1.jpg

black-course-8-1.jpg

2016-01-19t12-48-27.833z--1280x720_0.jpg

Back