• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Man, I just spent too much money at a men's store in NYC picking out Fathers Day gifts. I gotta find a way to get a new driver too since mine's about 4 years old.

Thinking about doing the Panthers/Bucs game in London on 10/23 then heading up to Scotland for the remainder of the week. What are the must play courses assuming we can get in 3-4 rounds?

Thinking about doing the Panthers/Bucs game in London on 10/23 then heading up to Scotland for the remainder of the week. What are the must play courses assuming we can get in 3-4 rounds?

I haven't done that trip yet, but the general consensus seems to be that you stay in one area and play all of the courses in that area (as opposed to hitting all of the top courses on the island). With that in mind, I think you do St. Andrews' courses and Kingsbarns. Maybe Crail and/or Lundin.

If you’re going to be on west coast, play Troon, Turnberry, Western Gailes, and Prestwick. Stay in Troon, from where you could easily travel to all four courses. I’ve stayed at the South Beach hotel in Troon several times.

If you’re going up the east coast, play St. Andrews Old, St. Andrews New, Carnoustie, and Kingsbarns. If you can’t get on the Old, substitute St. Andrews Jubilee, Lundin Links, or Crail. Stay at The Russell Hotel in St. Andrews. I love that place.

I’ll vote for the north and say you play Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, and Trump Aberdeen. Could fly into Inverness and out of Aberdeen. I’m doing Royal Dornoch for a few days then Western Gailes and Turnberry before a wedding in Ireland in August.

Taking my dad down to Pinehurst for 2 days/one night for Father's day. Playing #8, #4, and the Cradle. Pretty excited. Where should we eat dinner Saturday night? I'm always a sucker for Dugan's, but could opt for somewhere nicer.

Anyone with thoughts on Carolina National, south of Wilmington? Looking for somewhere to play when I'm in town for work next month.

Taking my dad down to Pinehurst for 2 days/one night for Father's day. Playing #8, #4, and the Cradle. Pretty excited. Where should we eat dinner Saturday night? I'm always a sucker for Dugan's, but could opt for somewhere nicer.

Dugan's is kind of trash now. I guess it was always trash but I liked getting wasted in the basement and their chicken sandwich was fine. Drum and Quill is a much of better version of Dugan's and also in the village. The new restaurant in the Pinehurst Clubhouse (The Deuce) is really nice. I've only ever had lunch buffet there but it's a cool place to eat and then sit out on the porch and watch the final groups come in on #2. I guess the other places in the Village worth going to are Theo's, Ten Ya and the Holly Inn but the earlier suggestions are better.

The place I always send people that will leave the village is Ironwood. Much better prices than Elliot's or Chef Warrens and I think the food is better. Good menu, good food, good cocktails, good service, good vibe. If you want a laid back vibe and good food then the bar at Pine Needles is another option.

Anyone with thoughts on Carolina National, south of Wilmington? Looking for somewhere to play when I'm in town for work next month.

Played it for the first time in April. We have a group that does a weekend and our normal Sunday course on the way back to Raleigh is Cape Fear National. Played Carolina National instead this year and I really enjoyed it. Good views, some tough holes, but overall a very scoreable course. Helps that I played out of my mind and shot my first sub 70 round so i'm probably a little higher on it than some others haha. Still thought it was a very enjoyable course.

Yeah, the sunken bar at Pine Needles is cool.

Drum & Quill looks like a blast !

visitors-to-drum-quill.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the sunken bar at Pine Needles is cool.

Drum & Quill looks like a blast !

visitors-to-drum-quill.jpg

it's the village, you are getting that crowd anywhere you go.

hell, in the greater pinehurst area you are getting that crowd anywhere you go with the exception of downtown so pines after 8 pm.

ohhhhhh the new brewery in Pinehurst is a really good spot. a little bit of a walk from the village but the food is delicious and the building is very cool.

hell, in the greater pinehurst area you are getting that crowd anywhere you go with the exception of downtown so pines after 8 pm.

ohhhhhh the new brewery in Pinehurst is a really good spot. a little bit of a walk from the village but the food is delicious and the building is very cool.

Forgot I had heard that. Brewery and BBQ it is.

Yeah, we hit that up in April while down on a golf trip, pretty cool spot.

I’ll vote for the north and say you play Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, and Trump Aberdeen. Could fly into Inverness and out of Aberdeen. I’m doing Royal Dornoch for a few days then Western Gailes and Turnberry before a wedding in Ireland in August.

Wow, you are going to be criss-crossing Scotland. Great courses, though. If Turnberry is your last stop, try to spend a night at the Turnberry Hotel.

Wow, you are going to be criss-crossing Scotland. Great courses, though. If Turnberry is your last stop, try to spend a night at the Turnberry Hotel.

Dornoch is a part of every trip I make to Scotland. I always go up there for a few days plus one other region.

Played it for the first time in April. We have a group that does a weekend and our normal Sunday course on the way back to Raleigh is Cape Fear National. Played Carolina National instead this year and I really enjoyed it. Good views, some tough holes, but overall a very scoreable course. Helps that I played out of my mind and shot my first sub 70 round so i'm probably a little higher on it than some others haha. Still thought it was a very enjoyable course.
Used to play Carolina National pretty regularly (pre-kid, when I had time to play golf) and am a big fan of it vs. other courses in the area.

Cape Fear National just shut down for a while to replace the greens.

Finally got to play RTJ this week. That place is golf paradise on earth.

Back