• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Isn't it amazing how most internet warriors claim they can hit a ball 300+ off the tee?

I am not an internet warrior I have been playing gold since I was 3. When I hit the ball straight off the tee I can easily get 300. I was hitting 300yds when I was 13 playing competitively I hit further more consistently then than I do now because of my lack of practice.

Played in the Member-Member this weekend at Cross Creek CC in Mount Airy. Can't complain as I played pretty well. Shot 80-75 on the two days (par 72) and really hit the ball well. Just haven't played enough to get my consistency up yet. The 75 I shot was with a triple and a double :rulz: Unfortunately I played with my uncle and he couldn't cut me anything (18 handicap) so we had no chance at winning anything. I know I should expect it by now but the sandbagging that goes on at the clubs I play at is insane. Team of two with handicaps of 8 and 9 shot 70/56 and 71/58. Lolz. I'm going to need to bring in the big guns for the Member-Guest to level the playing field a bit.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering I only fly it about 255 off the tee :thumbsup:

I hit a couple 390+ from the tips at Royal Troon that were wind/hill aided. The ground was so hard over there it was unreal. I think I hit driver, 9 iron into a 570 yd hole and bounced it over the green.

I don't trust public course tee yardages at all. I'd say on my good drives on the Charlotte public courses I hit it around 325, when in reality it might be going 305-310. I think I supposedly hit one 347 not too long ago without any real wind/hill help.

Does anyone have any recommendations for drills I can do try to work on my swing plane? I had a lesson this weekend and fixed issues with my irons and am hitting them well now but was told that my issues with my driver come from swinging above plane and not really following the same trajectory while swinging as I do in my backswing (as in, don't follow the same path up and down). I'm trying to work on keeping my hands lower and kind of back and not swinging up as high to get the club shaft lower and pointed where I'm aiming instead of off to my right, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd much appreciate it. Not really sure why it's so different from my irons, but I guess that happens to a lot of people...

A little late since it's already over, but any DC area Deacs who love golf should look into playing the Solstice Survival next year. (Or if you really wanted to hustle you could get in the Royal New Kent one on Friday). It's run by the GolfStyles group (just search for GolfStyles Solstice).

It's held at a few courses in about a one week span. First tee time is at 6am, you play 54 straight holes and finish around 8pm. Sounds a little crazy but it's a really good way to iron out your game. Plus the courses they play are usually solid, they pay 5 spots deep in both net and gross, and they have some nice giveaways and good food. Pretty cool day of golf.

^^^^ My dad has done that before and really enjoyed it.

Pretty fired up to hit the links tomorrow. Weather should be great, playing a scramble with free beer, and this is in the bag for the first time:

This:
SS12RAZRFITTOUR

With this shaft:
TOURADBB_SHAFT.jpg

And this grip:
sticky_sky_blue.jpg

Low spin cannon...

Pretty fired up to hit the links tomorrow. Weather should be great, playing a scramble with free beer, and this is in the bag for the first time:

This:
SS12RAZRFITTOUR

With this shaft:
TOURADBB_SHAFT.jpg

And this grip:
sticky_sky_blue.jpg

Low spin cannon...

Enjoy your new piece of plastic.

Just kidding, as I've always been a Callaway hater, although I hear from a few friends that the RAZR is sick.

Yeah, it's been a while since I liked any Callaway drivers. But my 910d3 broke last week and I needed a replacement. The blue bullet in that head is pretty ridiculous. Probably the least side-spin of any shaft I've ever played (buddy of mine has the same setup). That or the new Accra Tour Z LT.

Wouldn't have even considered it until the Callaway rep told me he could get me the setup for basically half off. Then he got a free upgrade to the Tour Authentic head... Very lucky.

played thistle and waterway hills this week. i swear if i won the lottery, i'd be happy moving to thistle. place is just beautiful.

waterway hills is not nearly as plush, but is not a bad layout. we played the ravine and oaks sides for 35 bucks in the morning. hard to beat that for vacation golf.

any recommendations for a putter I have to get me a new one soon?

any recommendations for a putter I have to get me a new one soon?

What type of putter you looking for?

There's a reason the 2 ball is still in so many pro bags. Hard to go wrong with it, particularly if you're not going to be able to spend hours perfecting your putting stroke. The Rossa Monza Spider is another good one - that's the putter the high school kid was using at the US Open and you see it everywhere.

Otherwise just go with an anser style Ping or if you don't mind spending $$$ a Scotty newport 2.

I'm actually using a SeeMore OneCS which is awesome but not for everybody. SeeMore is a great company.

There's a reason the 2 ball is still in so many pro bags. Hard to go wrong with it, particularly if you're not going to be able to spend hours perfecting your putting stroke. The Rossa Monza Spider is another good one - that's the putter the high school kid was using at the US Open and you see it everywhere.

Otherwise just go with an anser style Ping or if you don't mind spending $$$ a Scotty newport 2.

I'm actually using a SeeMore OneCS which is awesome but not for everybody. SeeMore is a great company.

This is the putter that I have. I like it but since I switched to it I have been a little more streaky than when I had a blade putter. It could very well be user error though haha.

My only gripe with it is my lack of ability to consistently align myself on short putts. I feel like I power through it a little too much, which admittedly could have a lot more to do with me than the putter itself. I like it a lot for medium-long distance putting though.

What kind of golfer are you james? If you don't get out there a lot then the Odyssey 2-ball is probably a good bet if you can get a good deal on it. The SeeMore's are definitely hitting the scenes too.

It sounds strange since I have the opposite of a blade putter now, but I love the look of the Cleveland putters (the one that Phil uses), but those aren't for everybody.

I shot a 73 today at Pinebrook. I played out of mind on the front with 4 birdies on the front en route to 33 but then came in with a pedestrian 40 on the back. I did manage to eagle the driveable par four on the back which was nice

I don't get out on the course as much as I would like, but I want to start playing every weekend again.

I shot a 73 today at Pinebrook. I played out of mind on the front with 4 birdies on the front en route to 33 but then came in with a pedestrian 40 on the back. I did manage to eagle the driveable par four on the back which was nice

I watched a guy make a 3 on that hole today by making a PUTT from the right bunker. Absolutely insane.

He was my partner in an interclub match against Tanglewood and we better balled a 64. Greens are absolutely mint right now. I had only 24 putts today.

LK, i'm going to get my father in law some golf lessons and was going to see if brad was up for a challenge. do you think he will give lessons to non-members?

I watched a guy make a 3 on that hole today by making a PUTT from the right bunker. Absolutely insane.

He was my partner in an interclub match against Tanglewood and we better balled a 64. Greens are absolutely mint right now. I had only 24 putts today.

I thought the greens were absurdly fast today.

I've been in that left bunker before but never the right one. I would have assumed it had a lip though. I hit my drive to about 10 feet left and short and made the putt. On of my better drives of the day. I had two doubles on the back at 12 and 16 with really bad tee shots. That killed my score.

I've also never seen the 3rd hole play that green ever haha.

ETA: I think Numbers and I shot better than that better ball. We shot -8 on the front nine with a par on 2 lol.

Last edited:

I am not sure I just want to get a good new one. I like my putters relatively heavy and my putter I use now is the only club I have that is not new I have had it for 20 years I believe.

Back