• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

This will likely show how unbelievably inexperienced I am at doing handy things, but how hard is it to replace a regulator on a gas grill that's connected to the natural gas line? Is this something I can and should do myself or should I have a plumber come out and do it? A local plumber just quoted me $500 to do it which seems absolutely insane to me.

This will likely show how unbelievably inexperienced I am at doing handy things, but how hard is it to replace a regulator on a gas grill that's connected to the natural gas line? Is this something I can and should do myself or should I have a plumber come out and do it? A local plumber just quoted me $500 to do it which seems absolutely insane to me.

it's marked 1 out of 5 wrenches on the difficulty scale- i know this is a tank but the same principles

$500 is because he'd have to drive all the way over there to do 10 min job and doesn't want to technically say no

$500 is because he'd have to drive all the way over there to do 10 min job and doesn't want to technically say no

This seems pretty correct.

As long as you have a shutoff valve in the gas line before the regulator, it should be pretty easy, as the video showed.

Make sure the replacement regulator is marked for use with natural gas. May also be dual fuel.

If you want some discussion about natural gas vs propane:

https://www.egwutilitysolutions.com/natural-gas-regulators-two-important-features-of-their-operation/

The check for leaks is something to be very diligent about.

Thanks. mechanically speaking it defs doesn't look too hard. I think it's the checking for leaks part that concerns me the most. We'll see. And the part is definitely specific for NG. I'm getting the replacement directly from the grill company and this is specifically a NG grill.

Thanks. mechanically speaking it defs doesn't look too hard. I think it's the checking for leaks part that concerns me the most. We'll see. And the part is definitely specific for NG. I'm getting the replacement directly from the grill company and this is specifically a NG grill.

You can use soap and water to check for leaks; spray a mixture of water and dish soap around the connections and look for bubbles forming.

Need to replace my condenser. Given supply chain problems, what is a realistic cost for this? I trust the guys doing the repair - they've been great - but I've been quoted $4K. Ouch.

Need to replace my condenser. Given supply chain problems, what is a realistic cost for this? I trust the guys doing the repair - they've been great - but I've been quoted $4K. Ouch.

Ouch, yes.

However, depending on size of your unit, age, difficulty finding a match to the rest of the system, etc. not outlandish.

HVAC has been hit the hardest by the supply chain, imo. It's fucking insane what some of my guys are doing to get parts right now.

It's also really awkward, because it's part specific. Some parts they are drowning in, others are on a months-long back order.

So whoever put on the regulatory initially was either He-Man or used some thread tape or goop that has bonded. I'm admittedly not a beast and super swole, but I couldn't get the bolt connected from the line to the regulator to even come close to budging. I used my entire weight to try and unscrew it and got nothing. I'm just going to see if I can find a different plumber or handyman who can do it.

So whoever put on the regulatory initially was either He-Man or used some thread tape or goop that has bonded. I'm admittedly not a beast and super swole, but I couldn't get the bolt connected from the line to the regulator to even come close to budging. I used my entire weight to try and unscrew it and got nothing. I'm just going to see if I can find a different plumber or handyman who can do it.

This is a 100% judgment free zone, and I really like you as a poster. That being said, if you'd like me to come over there, unscrew that little screw, then fuck your wife to satisfaction, please let me know.

This is a 100% judgment free zone, and I really like you as a poster. That being said, if you'd like me to come over there, unscrew that little screw, then fuck your wife to satisfaction, please let me know.

If you can get the screw off then you'll have earned yourself a little piece.

put a section of pipe over the wrench handle, the extension can make a big difference when breaking it free

put a section of pipe over the wrench handle, the extension can make a big difference when breaking it free

Leverage. Physics 101. I used a four foot long pipe on a wrench one time. Broke the bolt lose with just one finger.

Try putting Liquid Wrench or other stuff used for loosening stuck nuts and bolts.

Anybody got an idea of what the cost per square foot is to pour a concrete slab for a 4 car garage?

Leverage. Physics 101. I used a four foot long pipe on a wrench one time. Broke the bolt lose with just one finger.

Also known and sold as a "breaker bar", but yeah, pretty much just a piece of pipe. But as others previously stated, a 2 foot or so breaker will give you multiples of increased torque and leverage than a hand wrench.
And this coming from a guy who I guarantee you is about the least mechanically-inclined on this board.

Appliances are dumb as shit. Microwave door broke. turns out the critical part hangs on by a fragile little plastic piece - seems odd that they’d make the most wear heavy part of the appliance rely on this tiny piece that by some miracle has lasted even this long. What a shitty planned obsolescence. Not only that but I had to call a repair guy to get the cover off as it required specialized tools i didnt have to do that. So they don’t want you to bother fixing it either. But I’d rather do that than buy some shitty smart microwave that’ll become a total brick in 3 years when they don’t support it’s software anymore.

Back