• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Replaced the garbage disposal at the local Habitat ReStore. You know it's time when water goes straight through the disposal and exits where the electric power wire attaches. I am not a fan of the new proprietary connector method of hooking up the electrical part. Need to have exactly 1 3/8 inches of wire outside the sheathing. No more, no less and make a right angle in all three exactly at that distance. Not fun in BX metal sheathed cable when you also need a plastic bushing so the metal doesn't wear through the plastic insulation on the wires.

Replaced my leaking kitchen faucet this morning!

View attachment 8876
View attachment 8877
I think the hardest part about plumbing is fitting into tight awkward places.

I'm always impressed that the little pudgy dude in This Old House can fit into those spots. It's like his gut has molded itself over the years around all those usual spots under the sink. I did my garbage disposal once when I was younger, thinner, and more in shape, and it was a super pain in the ass.

Speaking of which, my Samsung TV has a shitload of free channels, most quite forgettable. However, some are quite good. I got hooked on their Antiques Roadshow channel for a long time, but have now moved on to their This Old House channel. It's so much better than all the home improvement shows on TV because they actually show you how to do real, practical things. Granted, they have access to all the right tools, but the explanations are clear and spot-on. A lot of it is, "Why didn't I ever think of that?" trick of the trade stuff.

Back