• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I hope my fridge/washer/dryer/dishwasher last forever, and they may because they’re all probably 10+ years old and predate a lot of this hellish enshittification.

Don't even really need the impact driver. I find a cordless brad nailer way more useful.
Man, my impact driver is the one tool I can't live without at this point. They are so versatile - I use it for anything mechanical on the cars, boats, trailers, general household shit, changing tires, anything construction related. Plus, it works as a drill in a pinch.

Blueberry preserves and garbage disposal do not go well together.

Don't even really need the impact driver. I find a cordless brad nailer way more useful.
I too would consider an impact driver overkill for most needs. I regard impact drivers as part of task specific equipment. Cordless drills have enough turning power for tightening and loosening the vast majority of screws and nuts.

It's been a long time since I needed to loosen a nut and a socket (and a squirt of Liquid Wrench or similar) with either breaker bar or ratchet with or without a cheater didn't work. Break it loose. Spin with drill the rest of the way.

Now, if you do work on vehicles, the impact may before useful. But that is project and activity specific equipment.

We put in engineered hardwood floors a few years ago, replacing old oak floors that had been refinished a few times. They had to put in a new subfloor as the old subfloor wasn't thick enough and likely not up to code and sagging in places. Very happy with how it turned out.

However, since then, a very annoying squeak has popped up. Its in a very high traffic area so I hear it all the time. Not sure what to do.

We put in engineered hardwood floors a few years ago, replacing old oak floors that had been refinished a few times. They had to put in a new subfloor as the old subfloor wasn't thick enough and likely not up to code and sagging in places. Very happy with how it turned out.

However, since then, a very annoying squeak has popped up. Its in a very high traffic area so I hear it all the time. Not sure what to do.
Do you have access to the area under the squeaky area?

Somewhere in that area there is a nail holding the sub floor down that is just a little loose. Need to go underneath and have a large friend walk the area to find where there is movement. Sometimes a flashlight will show the small gap between subfloor and floor joists. Find those gaps. Drive some wood shims in.

The above should cure the problem without doing anything in the living space.

If the problem area is near an edge where you can take up the finished floor, pull up the floor. Put some 2 to 3 inch long screws through the subfloor into the floor joists. Space screws about every 6 inches along the joists in the squeaky area. Reinstall floor.

We're a week into our new appliances (samsung bespoke line) and loving them so far. The induction range and convection oven are both fantastic upgrades from the cheap electric coil components we had before, and the new dishwasher is nice.
It's so wild what a difference it makes to the feel of the whole space, too. Built a new base cabinet with my dad and installed it on the other side of the oven so there's additional counterspace where there wasn't previously, and it is a MASSIVE improvement. As mentioned in the chat thread, we're in a 1500sf house... every inch of maximized space matters. This 11" gained counter surface is huge.

Next up for the house: new front door. Looking to change to something with window panels, as the front door/entry corner is a black hole of light right now. Getting some natural light into that corner will make a big difference in these rainy/dismal PNW winters.

Last edited:
We're a week into our new appliances (samsung bespoke line) and loving them so far. The induction range and convection oven are both fantastic upgrades from the cheep electric coil components we had before, and the new dishwasher is nice.
It's so wild what a difference it makes to the feel of the whole space, too. Built a new base cabinet with my dad and installed it on the other side of the oven so there's additional counterspace where there wasn't previously, and it is a MASSIVE improvement. As mentioned in the chat thread, we're in a 1500sf house... every inch of maximized space matters. This 11" gained counter surface is huge.

Next up for the house: new front door. Looking to change to something with window panels, as the front door/entry corner is a black hole of light right now. Getting some natural light into that corner will make a big difference in these rainy/dismal PNW winters.
I love the casual "built a base cabinet" (which happens to be a custom size) comment. I suspect it is probably a higher quality cabinet than average too.

Its right in the middle of the floor so will try the shim route. Thanks. Been driving me nuts. I put some blue painters tape down to mark the spot to avoid and my wife keeps pulling it up with a total look of disgust.

I love the casual "built a base cabinet" (which happens to be a custom size) comment. I suspect it is probably a higher quality cabinet than average too.

I can do all things through Kregg, which strengthens me.

I can do all things through Kregg, which strengthens me.

I'm planning to redo my entire kitchen and build the cabinets myself, and wear out that Kreg jig in the process. Just need to get a shed workshop up and running first.

I took down half of a 50 year old building today to make room for my apiary. I plan to turn the other half into my bee workshop. Took a chainsaw to the supports and knocked it down with a skid steer. Demolition is always a rush.
Training young troops on wall and floor framing over the weekend down in the free state…
IMG_5085.jpeg

We got two new front doors for the new house back in December (we have two main entrances) and they took all our money. There are almost certainly less expensive ways to go about it than what we did, but I am glad we did what we did since there was actually a lot of construction that was required to make them more efficient than what was in there before (and we can tell a major difference), but it was shocking when we got the number.

...can I ask what made them so unique that they were that costly?
I mean, thankfully I only have one main entrance, so just one door...

I upgraded to a battery powered circular saw (dewalt 20v) and the kreg 520pro from my former setup on left and they both game changers…
IMG_5110.jpeg

Back