• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Yeah I gotta say, is it really worth that much money for a tiny shed office you’ll very likely hate

Yeah I gotta say, is it really worth that much money for a tiny shed office you’ll very likely hate
It’s not worth $20-30k. It is worth $10k, $15k tops. House is small - 850sqft if useable space + an unfinished, 5.5ft tall basement for storage. Would be nice to add 100sqft as an office/living space to separate work/living space + getting my office setup out of the house that could also accommodate a sleeper sofa for the rare occasions we have too many guests staying over. Why do you say we will hate it?

I was looking into building an ADU in my backyard for similar reasons (though I would probably look to have a bathroom + small kitchenette for full functionality), and everything I've heard is that you do end up paying a premium in terms of $/sqft because it's a smaller space because on top of not wanting to do smaller projects, contractors also may not get the same prices on materials etc. when buying for a smaller space.

Still think it's worth it if you can afford it and WFH and the situation dictates it (smaller house)

Yeah an ADU would be ideal, but we’ve also got a smallish backyard that we love the layout of and functionality of it. An ADU would cut into that.

If you are still interested in ADUs - studio shed has some semi affordable ones. From what I can tell, that price includes the installation of it.

It’s not worth $20-30k. It is worth $10k, $15k tops. House is small - 850sqft if useable space + an unfinished, 5.5ft tall basement for storage. Would be nice to add 100sqft as an office/living space to separate work/living space + getting my office setup out of the house that could also accommodate a sleeper sofa for the rare occasions we have too many guests staying over. Why do you say we will hate it?

That was an unnecessary jerk comment on my end sorry, seeing as you’re not intending to pay that much anyway. But I’d wondered whether those conversion sheds are less comfortable climate wise, regardless of the ac/heat put in there. Kind of like how the room above my garage is always hotter/colder than the rest of the equally climate controlled and insulated house.

How big is the shed and what level of "finishing" is required?

If you had someone run electricity and install the Hvac, then DIY the rest wouldn't be too bad if you're willing to commit the time. If you're talking about re-doing doors and adding windows and stuff then that's another story.

Not quite an ADU, but my garage has some finished square footage that makes a great home office and living space for us. I put it a mini-split to make it usable year round.
ccd5c97235173838f73a67cdd9d06579.jpg

How big is the shed and what level of "finishing" is required?

If you had someone run electricity and install the Hvac, then DIY the rest wouldn't be too bad if you're willing to commit the time. If you're talking about re-doing doors and adding windows and stuff then that's another story.
The doors are very large, uninsulated doors. It would be great if we could insulate it but not sure if that’s possible. At least one window would be nice for natural light. Otherwise it’s just insulation, drywall, flooring. Studs/framing is up.

This looks real good.
Thanks...to be honest we just used it as storage for the first couple of years we live in the house and with the pandemic we got motivated to make it useable really quick. It's been a fun place to hang out, work, etc. It's the only room in the house were my kids aren't allowed to play / hang out (though there are occasions when they do come back here).

Sheds are not usually as tightly built as houses. Also the foundations are usually minimal. When you add HVAC, you really need to do what you can to insulate all four sides plus floor and ceiling, including proper vapor barriers.

Sheds are not usually as tightly built as houses. Also the foundations are usually minimal. When you add HVAC, you really need to do what you can to insulate all four sides plus floor and ceiling, including proper vapor barriers.
It appears to be on a very solid foundation.

Third quote just came in at $14,500 which is much more in line with what we were thinking, especially after talking with other folks in construction.

It appears to be on a very solid foundation.

Third quote just came in at $14,500 which is much more in line with what we were thinking, especially after talking with other folks in construction.

That sounds more reasonable.

If I was doing this, I would make sure to have at least three separate electric circuits for the shed. One for the HVAC System however you end up doing it. Two for lights, outlets etc. Plan for the inevitable microwave oven ("just to warm up my coffee"), refrigerator (just a small one for some cold drinks"), TV, electronics chargers etc.

Depending on the available free circuit breaker spots in your breaker box, either do multiple circuits and cables from there or a single really big cable and a subpanel in the shed.

That sounds more reasonable.

If I was doing this, I would make sure to have at least three separate electric circuits for the shed. One for the HVAC System however you end up doing it. Two for lights, outlets etc. Plan for the inevitable microwave oven ("just to warm up my coffee"), refrigerator (just a small one for some cold drinks"), TV, electronics chargers etc.

Depending on the available free circuit breaker spots in your breaker box, either do multiple circuits and cables from there or a single really big cable and a subpanel in the shed.
There are actually no free breakers as is so I think that is part of the reason why the electrical is $3500. I think they’re going to upgrade + run a cable to a sub panel. Good advice tho, many thanks.

Contractor that gave us the $14k quote has just gone completely MIA & hasn’t responded to texts or calls. Sucks!

Back