• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

found out today that my borough does not allow any fowl to be kept, including chickens.

they do allow horses and sheep, though.

I'm a little bummed to hear that grout work is such a pain. I need a new bathroom floor and had been led to believe that putting tile down wouldn't be too bad.

TW - the kitchen looks great!

I'm a little bummed to hear that grout work is such a pain. I need a new bathroom floor and had been led to believe that putting tile down wouldn't be too bad.

TW - the kitchen looks great!

Thanks!

I think it would be OK if you had room to work. Mine was tough because of the cramped spaces.

I don't think a bathroom floor would be that bad as long as it was already somewhat level and you had a good tile saw.

Yes. I really appreciate a good HOA and while this could be a big pain in the ass, I appreciate the purpose.

The HOA isn't as strict as the city that it is in. All houses have to follow a city design standard as to the fronts.

Still though, it's pretty rare for a non-structural, unobtrusive backyard project to require HOA's approval...
I guess that's good for you if that's the level of approval you're looking for in other things, though?

If it's not a fenced backyard I see the issue.

I think that's the key. You aren't required to fence in your back yard. So instead of saying those whose yards aren't fenced must get approval they just say everyone. We don't have to get landscaping approved just hardscaping and fences.

I guess it doesn't bother me since I have seen the positives and negatives to living with and without a hoa and covenants. With this I know what we are getting into. I'd much rather get my fire pit approved than have to look at my neighbors rotting bikes and grills like I currently do.

Yes. I really appreciate a good HOA and while this could be a big pain in the ass, I appreciate the purpose.

The HOA isn't as strict as the city that it is in. All houses have to follow a city design standard as to the fronts.

So what's it's like living in Pleasentville?

hippie vegans are generally cool, similarly fronted suburban properties are scary.

yeah, these are shit
Fort-Greene-brownstone.jpg

I live in an HOA. Mine is not really bad at all. Dues are $150 a year which is really just to pay tax and upkeep on the entrance and our stormwater pond. We do have an ARB but they pretty much approve anything as long as it's not stupid looking.

Anyone have recommendations for do-it-yourself mosquito control? I recently moved from a TH to a SFH with a nice yard. The yard is awesome, but the mosquitos are insane. I hired a mosquito guy to come out for one treatment, but it seems pricey ($99 per treatment wants to come out every 21 days). Any kid-safe recommendations for spraying the house/yard/screened in porch?

Anything?

Anything?
He will treat your yard, but mosquitoes can fly in from your neighbors. Getting everyone in the neighborhood to agree to limit their breeding grounds (stagnant water) will be your only recourse to get rid of them. Otherwise, insect repellant is your best bet.

I live on the bank of a river, and living with mosquitoes is something I've grown to accept. I've tried almost every home remedy under the sun with no avail.

The new place I'm living has an HOA that limits a ton of stuff. I'm allowed five decorative items on my back patio, and any plants must be in a pot with certain dimensions and can't grow past a certain height.

You should be able to call multiple competitors in the mosquito business and work out a decent deal. They often offer groupon type deals as well. DIY for Mosquitos is tough for all but the smallest yards.

bat box? or a purple martin house/box? real suggestions

i would never live in a house with a HOA, pay someone that tells you what you can and can't do to your own property. i mean, it's my mortgage...everyone can mind their own damn business.

but then again, i would never live in a new housing area either.

edited to say that i can see why some would like these types of housing areas. different strokes and all.

Last edited:
Back