• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Headscratcher, why did they do that department: Cutoff valve for the laundry tub was a straight valve, designed for situations in which the pipes carrying water come up from the floor. The pipes in this case come out from the wall, so they soldered on a street ell and then put the compression straight cutoff valve on the ell. To replace that, I ended up removing the old valve, then had to unsolder the ell, clean up the pipe stub and put in the new valve. About twice as much work as it should have been to replace a cutoff valve.

Cool! And that guy (as seen in the last photo) is Exactly what I expected of him.

That is definitely way cool on the wood working front. One minor note: He didn't spend the $3k. somebody let him borrow one for a while to do this stuff. But that is really a cool toy.

Finished up the rear bumper today by putting the swing arms on and assembling the basket for the gas can. Also put some sliders on this afternoon:

full

That's pretty rad ri-chonder. I'll have to introduce you to my BIL when I get down to Charleston. He has a newer (90s?) Cruiser and just bought a YJ. I'll outwheel you both in my stock Silverado with 240k miles on it, though. :rock:

Anyone have thoughts on the need for a tub in the master bathroom?

We have two other bathrooms with tubs and because we live in an older home (1920's) where space is limited, we are considering tearing out the current shower and tub combo thing and just having a nice tiled shower with rain head etc. Would this hurt us in re-sale? I haven't used a bath tub in years and neither has my wife. We only use it now to bathe our daughter, but that could be done in one of the other bathrooms. Thoughts? Would this be a non-starter if you were thinking of buying a home?

Last edited:
Anyone have thoughts in the need for a tub in the master bathroom?

We have two other bathrooms with tubs and because we live in an older home (1920's) where space is limited, we are considering tearing out the current shower and tub combo thing and just having a nice tiled shower with rain head etc. Would this hurt us in re-sale? I haven't used a bath tub in years and neither has my wife. We only use it now to bathe our daughter, but that could be done in one of the other bathrooms. Thoughts? Would this be a non-started if you were thinking of buying a home?

We're doing a master bath remodel right now, but we didn't have a tub in there previously. The lack of tub in the master wasn't an issue for us at all, since there's another tub on the same floor. I personally think that if there's a tub on the same floor, you'll be fine, but I'm not a realtor or anything.

Anyone have thoughts in the need for a tub in the master bathroom?

We have two other bathrooms with tubs and because we live in an older home (1920's) where space is limited, we are considering tearing out the current shower and tub combo thing and just having a nice tiled shower with rain head etc. Would this hurt us in re-sale? I haven't used a bath tub in years and neither has my wife. We only use it now to bathe our daughter, but that could be done in one of the other bathrooms. Thoughts? Would this be a non-started if you were thinking of buying a home?

The lack of a tub in the master wouldn't bother me one bit, since there are other tubs. The master seems to be the one bathroom where it really shouldn't matter, since it's the grown-ups' bathroom! I don't have kids but think that as long as there's one bathtub in the house, all would be well.

We're also in team no-tub (in a remodeled 20's house). My personal opinion is that those soaking tubs in the master bath are stupid McMansion accessories that nobody needs and few actually use.

We're also in team no-tub (in a remodeled 20's house). My personal opinion is that those soaking tubs in the master bath are stupid McMansion accessories that nobody needs and few actually use.

The only thing the tub in our master bath has been used for is bathing the dogs.

I just remodeled our master bathroom this spring and took out the tub to make the shower bigger. We put a bench window seat where the tub was, figuring we will get much more use out of the space storing towels and sheets than we ever did while the tub was there. Plus I can sit on it to put my socks on.

Installed this track lighting kit this weekend. It wasn't bad except there was no electrical box for the fluorescent light I was replacing. Had to get an old-work box and a keyhole saw to make it work then paint over the spot where the old light was. Relocated the 4 tube fixture to the garage where it will be handy.

256cpaw.jpg

Also, I have a slow leak in my basement coming from an elbow joint on my pvc pipe from my hall bathroom sink. Is there an easy way to fix this without cutting out the old stuff and putting on a new elbow?

Also, I have a slow leak in my basement coming from an elbow joint on my pvc pipe from my hall bathroom sink. Is there an easy way to fix this without cutting out the old stuff and putting on a new elbow?

You might be able to simply add some more glue. This is a long shot. However, you would need to dry out the elbow and keep it dry for a while in order for the glue to stick. Once the pipe was empty, you would need to dry the elbow, using something like a heat gun or hair dryer. Then it might be possible that either PVC glue or epoxy could get into the opening and seal it.

Good luck.

Not home improvement, but I'm going to be installing a transmission fluid cooler and changing the oil on the FJ62 this weekend. Heading to Lowes and the autoparts store now to get a few things.

Not home improvement, but I'm going to be installing a transmission fluid cooler and changing the oil on the FJ62 this weekend. Heading to Lowes and the autoparts store now to get a few things.

That project is, however, some serious DIY. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Back