• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I already had some new plugs that I was going to replace it with anyways. I made sure and blew some air into the plug holes to get any potential water out. My biggest fear is that if it set that long with moisture in there, what damage it may have done due to rust. I'll find out later this month I suppose.

Rather than a water pump that spits water out the back like an outboard, the jet ski has a heat exchanger to help cool the engine. This kid is a tard, but he explains it ok

I can add a new skill to my skill set after yesterday afternoon, tearing apart a 2 stroke jet ski motor. I found a little water in the pipes leading to the muffler so I traced it back until I saw no more water. Luckily, it looks like the water didnt make it to the ignition chambers, but I'll know for sure once I get everything put back together. This afternoon will be drilling out and re-tapping the block head.

So how did this work out? Is it running yet, or more work to do?

So how did this work out? Is it running yet, or more work to do?
I got busy doing other things around the house in preparation for the spring planting and havent done much else to it yet. I'm hoping to drill and tap it today, maybe go by and pick up some new bolts tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it back together by early next week.

It's not DIY, but I'm getting my gravel driveway poured with concrete within the next couple weeks and I'm super excited for a solid surface! The crew will clean up most of the gravel that's actually in the driveway area now but it has been migrating into my yard for a while, so I'll actually have to clean up the rocks when I'm doing yard work instead of just throwing them back into the driveway. It'll be nice to be done with gravel.

What message will you leave in the concrete for future owners?

defs need to initial it, at least.
or figure out a way to prompt suicide cop ghost to make an appearance/make his presence known

Question:

Debating what patio surface to put under a second story deck (walk-out basement). Space is about 400 sq/ft. Options:

1) Paver Patio - would DIY
2) Stamped Concrete - pay someone
3) Ground-level deck - would DIY

Assuming no worries about price differences (price of 1 and 2 are mostly the same, 3 would be 50% cheaper - what are experiences anyone can share? The area would get rain from the deck above and does not get a lot of sunlight underneath.

The two things that stand out to me and would drive my thinking are the rain water onto the space and the lack of sunlight. That could lead to mold/rot/algae on the lower deck, depending on how wet or dry your climate is. (Are you in NC, AZ or???) Stuff growing on the lower deck would require cleaning (pressure washing or other) possibly frequently. Need something that would stand up to that - stone or concrete.

Pavers or concrete would also be safer if you want to put a grill or BBQ on the lower patio.

Whatever you do, make sure that it properly drains away from the house. Nothing worse than a puddle on the patio/deck just outside the basement door.

Question:

Debating what patio surface to put under a second story deck (walk-out basement). Space is about 400 sq/ft. Options:

1) Paver Patio - would DIY
2) Stamped Concrete - pay someone
3) Ground-level deck - would DIY

Assuming no worries about price differences (price of 1 and 2 are mostly the same, 3 would be 50% cheaper - what are experiences anyone can share? The area would get rain from the deck above and does not get a lot of sunlight underneath.

Personally I would go for paver patio.

Yeah - I was just going to get out there with no idea what I was doing and lay pavers...

It is going to be very labor intensive and the biggest hurdle in the excavation of 6 inches of dirt and where to put it...that and the 280 bags of paver base. Generally I prefer to DIY everything, but as I break this down the paver route (while preferred by me as well) seems not worth it all.

Speaking of pavers, anyone have any experience with installing new gator sand (or comparable product)? We have pavers out back with the spaces filled with gator sand so that water does not get into the ground since that water has a bad habit of then getting into our basement/sex dungeon. But after a couple of years a lot of the gator sand has eroded away and we need to refill. Would I need to remove the remaining existing sand and refill everything from scratch or could I just apply over the existing?

I go out to our patio with a bag of sand and a push broom every few years and sweep it into the cracks to refill it. Seems to have worked fine so far.

Right, but sand is permeable. The gator sand is not and so water is directed to a drain which takes it away from our property.

Speaking of pavers, anyone have any experience with installing new gator sand (or comparable product)? We have pavers out back with the spaces filled with gator sand so that water does not get into the ground since that water has a bad habit of then getting into our basement/sex dungeon. But after a couple of years a lot of the gator sand has eroded away and we need to refill. Would I need to remove the remaining existing sand and refill everything from scratch or could I just apply over the existing?

I'm going to be dealing with this soon. I'm planning to power wash the pavers and then fill in with sand with a push-broom, followed by hosing it off so the sand solidifies. Saw it on youtube so will work.

I'm going to be dealing with this soon. I'm planning to power wash the pavers and then fill in with sand with a push-broom, followed by hosing it off so the sand solidifies. Saw it on youtube so will work.

So is the power washing to remove the existing sand?

Back