• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Ugh. bmoney got got by corporate america. Time to read up on this thread.

Sorry man. Best of luck in your search. Steve Dalton's "The Two Hour Job Search" gets kicked around a lot in a couple of the linkedin groups I pay attention to and people seem to like the systematic approach it outlines.

Ugh. bmoney got got by corporate america. Time to read up on this thread.

Shit man, sorry. If it makes you feel better, I got totally screwed over in my last job search, but ended up with a better gig for more moneys. Keep fighting the good fight.

honestly the good thing is my severance package included vesting all my stock grants immediately which all amounts to well over a year's salary. just really sucks having to job search when the last time I applied for a job was before linkedin was invented. feel like a pretty big nub.

I've worked in sales and credit at a large bank. Recent emphasis was large CRE but I've got experience in the large and mid-market C&I space as well. I'm cool with staying in banking but also hope that my experience of seeing how things work from the banking perspective would be beneficial to any private company. The tough part is honestly learning again how the game works. A lot has changed since I applied to my current company in 2004.

Sorry man. Best of luck in your search. Steve Dalton's "The Two Hour Job Search" gets kicked around a lot in a couple of the linkedin groups I pay attention to and people seem to like the systematic approach it outlines.

I have this book. I actually met the author about 3 years ago. Bonney: I think you are in the Winston area. You're welcome to stop by the office and pick it up.

Applied for a job Monday, got an email today about a phone interview with the internal recruiter and direct position supervisor next Tuesday. Woot! The only complicating factor is I will be on vacation in Playa Del Carmen. Normally I hate taking important calls on cells phones as opposed to landlines. That applies even more for a phone interview from a foreign country, but looking the Verizon coverage map I should be fine. Good juju appreciated as my wife and I have each been looking for new jobs for a while and haven't yet been able to match up the right job with an offer.

Applied for a job Monday, got an email today about a phone interview with the internal recruiter and direct position supervisor next Tuesday. Woot! The only complicating factor is I will be on vacation in Playa Del Carmen. Normally I hate taking important calls on cells phones as opposed to landlines. That applies even more for a phone interview from a foreign country, but looking the Verizon coverage map I should be fine. Good juju appreciated as my wife and I have each been looking for new jobs for a while and haven't yet been able to match up the right job with an offer.

Good luck!

Thanks! Just getting acquainted with this thread, any word on your running through the airport phone interview??

Thanks! Just getting acquainted with this thread, any word on your running through the airport phone interview??

Yeah, and unfortunately no dice on that position.
A little bummed, as a change of scenery would be nice... but ultimately I have a pretty good 'choose your own adventure' thing going on right now.

Can you use wifi calling? If the internet signal is strong, it can be clearer than a landline.

Thanks for the tip, not familiar with it but about to do some googling.

Sorry to hear that lbE, it is always so hard to tell if the grass is really greener elsewhere. I've been in organization 9 years and it is a great place to work but I think I am burning out and need to do something else. I hope I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me.

I just applied for like the fourth time for a position at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library and Archives. I haven't heard back at all from any of my previous attempts, I'm guessing because I make too much money, though I offered up some flexibility with this in my most recent application. Eh, who knows.

So, I am going to have an actual faculty appointment to teach this class rather than being considered an adjunct (it's apparently how they do things here), how to list on CV? If I just put Faculty, future employers are likely to see that as trying to inflate my cv, but Adjunct Professor and Instructor aren't really right either. Am I overthinking? Probably.

I just applied for like the fourth time for a position at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library and Archives. I haven't heard back at all from any of my previous attempts, I'm guessing because I make too much money, though I offered up some flexibility with this in my most recent application. Eh, who knows.

I think you should apply in person.

Maybe I'll drive up over Christmas.

Seriously though, my old boss is friends with the head of their library and has put in a word for me; his friend the head of R&R HOF L&A says he is excited about my application and will keep an eye out, and I STILL haven't heard anything in the past. They pay total shit anyway, but I don't know, I'd at least like to speak with them.

Last edited:
So, I am going to have an actual faculty appointment to teach this class rather than being considered an adjunct (it's apparently how they do things here), how to list on CV? If I just put Faculty, future employers are likely to see that as trying to inflate my cv, but Adjunct Professor and Instructor aren't really right either. Am I overthinking? Probably.

Visiting Assistant Professor?

HR might have a preference. Or you could do like I usually do and just stalk the CVs of others with the same gig (if there are in fact any others).

Visiting Assistant Professor?

Schools can sometimes be unnecessarily stingy about this title, even if that's exactly what you are. In my experience it usually depends how they're funding the position. Still might be the most accurate way to describe it.

VAP positions are really the worst though. Wake relies on them quite a bit.

Back